It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Booms In Morristown, Tennessee

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
My wife works in Morristown, she called that morning when the first was heard and felt that morning 9-10am I think. She said the noise was almost like a thunder that could be felt inside and they thought someone had hit their building again. A drug rep came in later who had been at another office close by and heard and felt it too. We live in White Pine and she called me to see if I had felt it, which I didn't. Later that night one of the nurses she works with called 9-10pm and asked if we felt it, she wasn't at work that day and hadn't heard about it. That night (or evening) it happened again where she lives, shaking and a roar or boom that could be felt. That one made the news and seem to be over a larger part of Morristown than the first one.

The loud boom hear previously in Morristown are 5-7 miles away, towards Jefferson City but still in Hamblen County part of Morristown. Jefferson City has a lot of mines, some I think they still operate and some out of business. I'm not sold on the mine thing totally though due to the distance and other weird things that are happening.

We have new creeks that have formed here in White Pine and creeks that moved up to 10 foot sideways last year. We have depressions that have formed, some with water, some without. Not big or deep enough to flip a tractor at slow speed, but deep and big enough to bottom a truck. I have no idea what is going on, but it's strange.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I don't mean to thread jack anyone but I have been working extensively on the issue over on a related thread to the Morristown Booms. Most of my work is over here at It's Back; Strange Sound Phenomena Returns to East Tennessee!.

I believe I am closing in on a possible explanation that both fits what the Officials are saying, and the history/geology of the Morristown area. Essentially either underground voids due to either deep mines from the late 1800's or early 1900's or natural limestone voids are to blame. I may have another large piece of the puzzle to contribute but I need to gather all the info and documentation.

It would be really helpful if someone from Morristown could lend me some geographical assistance of the area. Also, the report of Willie Strange and his house being cracked during the event....is anyone able to confirm what section of town this home is located??
edit on 15-2-2013 by miner49r because: spelling error

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by miner49r

Sending you a U2U with this info on W. Strange

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sled735

Thank you ... received.
2nd

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by miner49r

Thank you ... received.

2nd

Well, that link didn't work. Sending you another u2u

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Thank you, unfortunately I (we) may have to wait until Monday as by the time I recieved the info it was past closing time and there was no answer.

Depending on if I can get in touch with Mr. Strange and what He is willing to divulge if any, I believe his answers may posses confirmation.

Edit to add:

I am going to post the rest of what I found over on the other thread. Give me some time to gather it up and write it out. It's Back; Strange Sound Phenomena Returns to East Tennessee! I can't see waiting until Monday for a hunch and possible interview that may or may not happen.... ok off to write the post and get a pic or two up out there.
edit on 15-2-2013 by miner49r because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Ok its posted, follow the above link to read more.

2nd

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Here is an update in yesterday's paper about the booms...

Source: www.citizentribune.com...

Cause of mysterious booms remains elusive Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 11:39 am The mystery remains unsolved. It’s been several days since any major reports of rumbling or loud booms have been made in Hamblen County and authorities don’t know if the multiple enigmatic subterranean vibrations are related. “It remains unclear at this time. There are several different possibilities, but we can not be conclusive about a definitive answer,” said Hamblen County Emergency Management Agency Director Chris Bell. “There’s not enough information and data available at this time to make a 100-percent conclusive answer.” Essentially, the research into the rumblings by Memphis scientists has ended. However, Bell added that there might exist a possibility for a state grant that would allow further research into the cause of the incidents. “If we continue to have theses type circumstances, we have the opportunity to request through the state for more equipment to be brought in to study what’s happening during these time periods,” said Bell. The incidents were first reported in the Meadows subdivision in West Morristown on Jan. 21. Residents in the Meadows reported more rumbling and booming sounds Feb. 2. In the Meadows, the initial incident lasted around two-and-a-half hours with one deputy describing it as sounding – and feeling – “like a grenade had gone off underground.” Last Tuesday, around 4 p.m., throughout Hamblen County and Morristown citizens reported a loud boom and the ground shaking followed by two to three more incidents. Around 9 p.m., another event occurred, again throughout eastern parts of Hamblen County and Morristown. Gary Patterson, PhD., a scientist with the Center for Earthquake Research and Information, said their team studied several heliograph charts and data from stations located in East Tennessee. Patterson explained that because the readings tend to occur at the same time every day, they don’t appear to be natural. “We can’t rule it out yet, but because the time periods are grouped, they don’t appear to be earthquakes,” he said. “The energy seems to be coming from somewhere between Morristown and the Virginia border.” If the rumblings are man-made, it may take some time for authorities to discover the source. Authorities have also said that fracking, an explosion, sewer repair work, area construction, the Tennessee Valley Authority, weather, the military and the zinc mines in Jefferson City are likely not causes. -By Aletheia Davidson, Tribune Staff Writer

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
It was in yesterday's paper that the booms were heard again in the Sulfur Springs area sometime around 9:10 a.m.

I looked in the paper online, but it didn't have the article listed there. This is getting a little scary!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

It was in yesterday's paper that the booms were heard again in the Sulfur Springs area sometime around 9:10 a.m.

I looked in the paper online, but it didn't have the article listed there. This is getting a little scary!

I'm impressed by that news report. They're being almost completely truthful. It's the little bit they leave out that makes me wonder. But there must be some method to the madness.

Anyway, no fear is the way to go. I try to live every day to the fullest and treat others like it's another version of me. While I prepare for tomorrow, I don't assume I'll be around ten minutes from now. Death is another part of life when another door opens. Always being ready to walk through that door is something I consider to be a vital part of this life.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by allenfane

I was listening to Coast to Coast on the radio last night on my way to work. Apparently, these same type of booms are being heard in Connecticut, or Wisconsin. I wasn't clear as to which state they mentioned.

They described it exactly as what happened in Morristown, and the officials have exhausted all possible causes in their investigation.

I wonder WTH is going on? Are TPTB digging underground tunnels for some reason they don't want the public to know about?

This is EXTREMELY strange!!!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The booms and shakes have started up again in Morristown, TN.

And, almost exactly a year to date! The ground shook and loud booms were heard in the eastern part of the county.

I read it in the paper yesterday, but I can't find it in the online paper to post the source now. Just have to take my word for it, I guess.

We'll see if it continues, as it did last year.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

I am sure they are probably just hearing normal sounds.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
It's happening again!
In the Friday's edition of The Citizen Tribune is was reported that the booms were heard by local residents on Friday morning around 7:20 a.m..
They still don't have a clue what is causing it. The County Emergency Management is asking anyone in the area who hears this to send an e-mail to [email protected] with information, date, time, etc.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Here is the news story:

It would appear Morristown has developed something of a pattern. When the temperature drops and there’s a significant amount of precipitation; the unexplained rumbling booms return.

Around 7:20 a.m. Friday morning, residents surrounding the areas of Debi Circle, Springvale Road, Bacon Lane and Scenic Drive reported hearing a loud boom, followed by the ground shaking.

As has been the case, there was no proof of explosion, leaving it to be added to a lengthening list of enigmatic booms that have plagued Morristown for about two years now.

Morristown-Hamblen County Emergency Management Agency Director Chris Bell said he has spoken with the state and said he was told to amass information so they can try to find a pattern and begin a possible investigation.

Residents who hear, and/or feel, the “booms” should email Bell at [email protected] and include their address, the time of the incident, their name and contact information and a description of the sound and any effects.

Having dealt with the unexplained phenomenon for two years, it would appear that the booms occur when there is a drop in temperature and the county has had a lot of rain.

Reports of the mysterious booms began in January 2013, in the Meadows subdivision around 1 a.m. Days before the first reports, the area experienced major rains and snow. At the time, Dr. Robert Hatcher, Professor of Structural Geology and Tectonics at the University of Tennessee said much of the geography of Morristown is what scientists refer to a karst, which is characteristic of sinkholes and caves. Scientists came to the area in February 2013, and ruled out several possible causes, including fracking, earthquakes, explosions, sewer repair work, construction, aircrafts and the mines in Jefferson County, but a definitive explanation was elusive.

Very curious indeed.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Here is the location of the reports. Could it be the geology of the region?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

The area is full of underground caves. It has me worried that I might wake up some day staring at a big Reptilian because our house has fallen through a big hole!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
It happened again about 7:30 Tuesday morning (Jan 6 2015). I'm no longer working in Morristown but local news ran similar stories as before concerning the still unidentified phenomenon. Again Emergency Management is asking for first hand reports. Looks like this is happening almost every year in the months of January or February.
edit on 7-1-2015 by HillWilliam because: i entered the wrong month

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join