It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extinction-level supervolcano growing in the Pacific

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens
reply to post by Vasa Croe

But it's in 200 million years. Regardless of anything, mankind will probably be extinct already or will have went forth and multiplied across at least *some* of the known universe.

How do you know we haven't " moved on, " and " populated " the known universe? We have all these stories of tribes around the world saying we came from the sky, or had gods that came from the sky etc etc. How do you know, we aren't those early colonists. Perhaps survivors of a great war with in those colonies. Long forgotten history, forgotten on a smouldering rock thought to be uninhabitable.

This is interesting news, but hardly ELE. One, 200 million years is a long while off, and they are deep in the ocean, likely to form a new continent rather than ruin all of life on the planet.

I guess it depends on what kind of eruption it is. If it just breaks through the surface and oozes out, or even if it is a caldera type eruption, under that much water it's not going to be ultra explosive. More likely a big muddy mess in the pacific. I'd be more concerned for the marine life.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality

Originally posted by karen61560
reply to post by AncietSoul

The deepest part of the ocean the Mariana trench is only 7 miles deep. This sounds like a crock o you know what to me. 1800 miles deep. Give me a freaking break. And you people give him stars and flags. Google is your friend. Find some things out first.
edit on 13-2-2013 by karen61560 because: (no reason given)

That part was where the molten rock is forming below the ocean, as in, under the earths crust and down in the earth's mantle which is what the 1800 mile depth is about....
edit on 13-2-2013 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

The Diameter of earth is 12 756.2KM(7926.21Miles), so basically that's how far it is if you dug a hole from this side to the other... 1800 miles is 1/4th the way through pretty much lol. It's shallower than that.
depths

crust 0-35km
upper mantle 35-60km
mantle 35-2890km
outer core 2890-5100km
inner core 5100-6378km

edit on 14-2-2013 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
So Two Lava deposits meet up? So what? How is that going to create a boom?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
So much for Australia being 'The Lucky Country'...

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
If the creationists are right, it might as well happen tomorrow!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Are these mobile volcano's?

How exactly does one volcano move toward another?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Wouldn't that also be considering that a high level earth quake doesn't shift around the plates as well? It should be something scientists are watching closely so we don't get blind sided by it.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Why sensationalise it if it's 100 million years from now?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61560

The deepest part of the ocean the Mariana trench is only 7 miles deep. This sounds like a crock o you know what to me. 1800 miles deep. Give me a freaking break. And you people give him stars and flags. Google is your friend. Find some things out first.
edit on 13-2-2013 by karen61560 because: (no reason given)

The average diameter of the Earth is 7,926 miles (source: www.universetoday.com...)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by six67seven
If a supervolcano erupts on earth and no one exists to witness it - does it make a sound?

it has the potential to be heard

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
As we have pointed out for Cheliabinsk meteor strike, viruses play a part. Guttierez's Chaitan photo is the mascot for investigations of the origin of Life. According to Miller's volcanic spark experiment, glycine and alanine were the two most abundant amino acids out of the starting gate, so when there appears an alanine-to-valine mutation in Alzheimer's presenilin protein, some of us set up and take notice. Glycine's unique folding characteristics become suspect, in the first ever tumor found in chicken chrystallin (eye lens).

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

The article said under the ocean. Dont be coy. It did not say within the earth. That would be a whole different story but this is supposedly a volcano that is forming from the crust that lies right under the ocean. We've seen many many volcanoes form from this region and in just that way. There is a reason it is called the ring of fire. That being said, this story is still a crock. It is trying to create fear where none should be.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Great right about the time I should be able to retire, boom, there goes the neighborhood

top topics

<< 1   >>

join