It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IQ, Mensa etc.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
OK, so the Mensa sites says that an adult can only score a maximum of 161 on the Cattell III B test.

But what if the person were much cleverer than that? Is there no other test to measure beyond 161? Or will it just be so off the charts and away from the norm (i.e. no scale) that it would be irrelevant?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

I think the term is "pegged". Like when the tachometer hits the peg that keeps it from going any higher.

But who the hell really cares? Beyond a certain (and not really high) level any "intelligence testing" really doesn't indicate much of anything. There are those who go far beyond their tested "potential" and those who get nowhere near it in terms of performance. That's a matter of... disposition?...more than "intelligence".

edit on 2/12/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Precisely.

Those who have taken IQ tests, and scored just under Mensa levels are still quite intelligent.

In my case, I'm on the border line of the accepted level, how ever being perhaps considered an idiot savant when it comes to common sense.

Where as for the general population, common sense is not so common and may as well be a super power.

Maybe in today's technological society, an increase of the old standard could be raised.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

I think the term is "pegged". Like when the tachometer hits the peg that keeps it from going any higher.

But who the hell really cares? Beyond a certain (and not really high) level any "intelligence testing" really doesn't indicate much of anything. There are those who go far beyond their tested "potential" and those who get nowhere near it in terms of performance. That's a matter of... disposition?...more than "intelligence".

I agree! Wasn't it Einstein who said “The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.”

LOL have to laugh at my self for using knowledge of a quote to agree rather then using imagination
edit on 12-2-2013 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I strongly dislike IQ tests because they do not properly determine an individual's level of intelligence. The reification of intellectual acuity into a scalable number so easily defined by IQ tests is inaccurate; it's much more complex than that.

I've been reading too much Stephen Jay Gould...

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by IEtherianSoul9

I strongly dislike IQ tests because they do not properly determine an individual's level of intelligence. The reification of intellectual acuity into a scalable number so easily defined by IQ tests is inaccurate; it's much more complex than that.

I agree. I supposedly have an IQ around 150, but certainly I lack aptitude in some areas. Please keep your wisecracks to yourself.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
When Einstein says imagination, do you think he meant creative, exclusively?

Because some one could be completely book illiterate, and lacking street smarts, yet still be a creative genius.
Hands on learning combined with visual, are key aspects to our learning process.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Precisely.

Those who have taken IQ tests, and scored just under Mensa levels are still quite intelligent.

In my case, I'm on the border line of the accepted level, how ever being perhaps considered an idiot savant when it comes to common sense.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Actually IQ tests were products of the late 1800s Eugenics movement.

They are inacurrate stereotypical assessments designed for segregation of the superior from the inferior.

Wiki all of these topics I mentioned.

The truth is that all non injured human brains are capable of these calculations, the problem is either lack of proper programming or false input data.
edit on 12-2-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

"IQ" (intelligence quotient) is really an obsolete term that isn't used much in the field. There have been a lot of changes in testing techniques but the concept of defining intelligence is slippery. If anything there is more awareness of the fact. MENSA, such as it is, is not prone to acknowledge this.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

reply to post by muzzleflash

"IQ" is really an obsolete term that isn't used much in the field. There have been a lot of changes in testing techniques but the concept of defining intelligence is slippery.

Agreed.

I am inclined to believe Effort and Modivation are larger factors as opposed to heredity.

If anyone works hard at improving they will. Just gotta keep at it.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Mensa means table?

Why Mensa, why not bookcase (Scrinium) or comfy chair (Cathedra)?

Perhaps it's a conspiracy of ignorance!!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Great reading about the human brain, culture, intelligence, etc :

Carl Sagan

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors
and
Dragons of Eden

Some of my favorite books by far.
Totally worth picking up.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

It's a round table.
Everyone who sits at it is equally special.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So all those online IQ tests that said I averaged a 172 IQ were full of it??
One said I was 184.... even I laughed hysterically at that one.

From what I've been told, which seems to be only as good as the consensus agreed to, my IQ is 142. Whatever that means. Do you know of any accurate intelligence measuring tests in existence? Besides message boards like these?

Intelligence can't be measured solely by memorization skills.
Chimps have us all beat on those tests.

edit on 12-2-2013 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

I'm glad someone else has noticed that common sense is not so common anymore!
I'm heard to mumble quite frequently under my breath:
"There goes another victim of the epidemic of, lack of common sense, aaahhhh!!!!'

WOQ

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Anyone notice a bit of...um...bitterness...in these posts.

Come on...fess up...who applied and didn't make it?
Or, possibly worse, who is a member?

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Yes through observation and scientific testing, we are now realizing in a factual manner, that intelligence is somewhat ubiquitous among life, although it comes in many forms.

I personally find it an uplifting and powerful thing to consider our true human nature.
To learn about and protect life.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

reply to post by chr0naut

It's a round table.
Everyone who sits at it is equally special.

I can just see them all, sitting round watching Spongebob.

... special!

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Anyone notice a bit of...um...bitterness...in these posts.

Come on...fess up...who applied and didn't make it?
Or, possibly worse, who is a member?

I have friends who are members. I never applied.
I call them "my arguing friends", because they have an intelligent egotistical opinion about everything.

Anyone getting bitter or upset when it comes to intelligence, obviously has a lack of confidence in their own intelligence. An ego bruise so to speak.

edit on 13-2-2013 by JibbyJedi because: always tyops

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join