It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food prices to rise ( double)within months!!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Regardless of what the grocery store prices do, I am already preparing for practical reasons. Colorado is in a extreme drought, hell there was even a fire up in the foothills last week and it's flippin winter time. My irises are coming up already, we have had no real snow to speak of, so this summer will be a mess. I am already planning out my garden based around gardening in drought conditions with water restrictions. I am already buying rice, beans, canned goods to further stock up my already stocked up pantry. It's not fear it's just practical actions based upon the area that I live in. We are not big meat eaters so that won't be an issue and it makes it easier to stock up. I also will be canning a lot of what we grow in the summer this year. We have backyard chickens now too so we have fresh eggs every day.

I do these things because this is just how I grew up and was taught to prepare for lean times or harsh environmental conditions. Although to be fair, we have not had a decent winter in Colorado in ages! They say we are in the worst drought since 1977. I am hoping that we get a very snowy spring, which is normal for us. It won't get us out of the drought conditions, but it will help.

I think if people just know how to shop and learn to cook basics from scratch then it won't be as hard on the wallet. Try looking up Great depression cooking with Clara on youtube, she is awesome and has some very simple recipes that she had growing up through the depression. Her and her family ate well even despite the economic times.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
I think people simply need to realize that they don't need to eat meat everyday.
I eat meat about once a week and fish twice a week. The rest of the days are filled with pasta, vegetables, oatmeal, nuts, and other things that are filling and not as expensive.
If the government is going to bleed us dry, we just have to stop eating things that bleed as much as we'd like to.

The hard part is trying not to throw up after watching the Obama's stuff their faces with lobster.

We don't eat much meat here either, but mostly just because I don't think it is healthy to consume so much animal products. I'm not opposed to it entirely mind you, but we just don't eat much of it. We maybe have something with meat in it once or twice a week and that is a family of 6 (5 males) and I promise you they are all healthy as horses!

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Lots of posters making light of a very serious situation whether or not the OP was simply repeating a snippet heard on msm. Food prices have doubled in the time I have been buying food for my household and sticking to a budget. The ground turkey I buy has doubled in price and has lost 50% of its weight, so yeah, I have seen many products rise and the quantity decline.

Did you notice the increase in bell peppers over the past year or so too?! Used to be you could get green bell peppers 2 or 3 for a dollar and now they are twice that. Red bell peppers were around a dollar each, but now they are about $3 each. I found a grocery store called Sprouts and their prices are a TON better, but they buy more local stuff. I worry that even their prices will skyrocket with the drought we are in here in Colorado.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raxoxane
In my country food prices have been ridiculously high for a long time.We dont eat red meat more than once a week now,but then we never did eat a lot of it-i think if everyone did that,it would go a long way to improving overall health-and make balancing the household food budgets easier.In my country eating lots of red meat has always been a way of life,but i do think a lot of folks had to start cutting down on that,either for financial or health reasons.Here's what ive observed about a local guy who's known for eating practically only red meat,this guy wont Touch veggies,fish,etc-and he is almost always at death's door.Florid complexion,neverending battle with high blood pressure,fainting spells,eye+vision problems,on tons of medication,always sickly and ailing.Because he will try anything to improve his health-Except stop living almost exclusively on red meat.We eat pasta with homemade sauces,homemade macaroniCheese,potato bakes,veggies and chicken,and then once a week redmeat.Fish is expensive here,otherwise we'd have that three times a week,as a result of high prices,we had to limit that to once a week also.Well,i also advise growing your own veg garden-AND POTATOES ARE A GODSEND! There's a lot of delicious meals to be made from the humble potato,remember that,and its still affordable,even here.If you can,keep poultry for freerange eggs+meat.

Potatoes and rice are great as a stretcher for any meal! We eat a lot of rice, potatoes and beans.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
reply to post by rickymouse

I can't find coffee [Folgers Gourmet Supreme Dark] for less than $8.98 for a 32 oz can. Meat in our local store, IGA, has gone up so fast it seems they change prices daily. My garden is going to be a lot bigger. Canning jars will likely spike too, they did last year. Now would be the time to buy.

Coffee is an animal unto itself, some coffee producing nations have stopped selling it to US manufactures, due to shortages, and the fact that countries like France, Switzerland and Japan get first dibs on the beans. (Which is why Nes is so yummy)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
reply to post by jimmyx

so basically we are damned if we do damned if we don't...what are we to do? I plan on putting in a garden again this year..last year really sucked in the midwest because of the drought. We barely got anything out of it. I'm not especially great at gardening either. I guess Im going to have to be a quick study though--we can't continue to have a 200-300 grocery bill each payday.

There are a ton of great sites that teach how and what to plant in droughts! I'm in Colorado so it seems we are perpetually in a drought. Last year our garden was overflowing! You water differently, usually with drip systems and at certain times of the day and certain plants do better next to others, ect..

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
reply to post by rickymouse

I can't find coffee [Folgers Gourmet Supreme Dark] for less than $8.98 for a 32 oz can. Meat in our local store, IGA, has gone up so fast it seems they change prices daily. My garden is going to be a lot bigger. Canning jars will likely spike too, they did last year. Now would be the time to buy.

Just as well.. no one should drink folgers!

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by reverandrandy
I live in the midwest and can confirm that the drought was(is) a pretty big deal. Our whole state was bone dry for

months during last years growing season. Our grocery prices are sharply increasing with all food products being

affected by higher prices. I imagine, just like gasoline prices, the market won't correct this after food supplies rise,

They'll just get profit windfalls and run all the way to the bank.

My garden will be twice as large as last years, and we will be doing a rain dance.

I'm near the midwest.. over in Colorado and it was dry as a bone here too. Of course it felt like half the damn state was on fire too..

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Don't sweat over increasing prices. Most people, even if they don't realize it, eat at least twice as much as they need to maintain a healthy body and mind. Eventually people will be forced to cut back on their intake and its not going to do them any harm, quite the contrary. Reality is imposing itself upon us all in more ways than one and its the people who refuse to retune themselves that will have surmounting problems - look at what is happening to the Catholic Church. But that is digressing, sorry.
The point I'm attempting to make is readjustment is being forced upon us and this can only be for the good over the long term. Growing your own, trading with others, cutting back, not worrying - all positive actions.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Well I may have mistaken on the news cast! But it WAS EITHER
NBCfeb 12 2013,,,,, or it was my local station...... WANDTV.COM....
ILLINOIS..... THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE THOUGH,,,

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

Yes and Apples, fresh tomatoes, when one costs a dollar or more, it is hard to buy for an extended family. Another thing is lettuce, it used to last pretty long and well worth the high price in those plastic big containers, the organic type you know? But now as soon as you open the package it begins to turn black. If you buy more than you need to eat that day it starts getting watery and browned. Forget the lettuce in the bag any more. I wonder what is causing this, it has only been in the past year that this has been a problem.

I made a salad recently, it did not have anything extravagant but it cost about 15.00. JUST salad! There really is good cause to hedge your funds with survivor style stocking up. What you buy today could very well be obsolete by next year or become an extravagance.

It is weird with the big push to eat healthy and all that only the very cheapest, most genetically modified, pesticide ridden, gluten filled and hydrogenated foods are affordable.

Eating fresh every day in the quantities they say are part of the new pyramid is not realistic nor healthy when even those choices are limited to regular shelf produce that is probably giving people cancer, tumors and a whole host of other problems like arthritis, diabetes and childhood disorders as well as compromised immune systems.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

No kidding. Went shopping today, first time in a week and OMG!!! ...Can't wait to start my garden and kicking myself for not growing sprouts (used to, haven't for a good while).

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

YOU read my mind!!! I was going on and on so had to stop somewhere but now that you let the cat out of the bag I HAVE to say this:

Last year I bought a bag of alfalfa sprout seeds from the health foods store, well I left them deep in the fridge and forgot about them, got too lazy to make them really.

So before Thanksgiving my Brother was coming to visit and so I made them. They are still in the fridge!! Well part of them and they look better than the ones you buy in the store after 3 days!

I have talked to my Brother about this and it is hard to believe, the ones in the store have to be reallly old before they even hit the shelves, that or they are contaminated to start with. That and the price has gone sky high.

Another bean sprout I would love to make are the bean sprouts, you know the Asian type? Not sure what those are made from but they were always my favorite in stir fries but now the bags are about 1/4 size and double the price.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
so the value of the dollar is to be worth twice as less in a couple months?

the price of food should be the same, as with the gas prices,

just like the youth of today, they know the PRICE of everything but dont know
the VALUE of #...

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
It appears that wheat and some grain prices may not get as bad as thought. Researching the present agricultural futures and predictions I found a few things that may help keep these lower.

It appears that they are using the wheat straw more to feed the cattle. I don't have a clue on how that is going to work.

Another amazing thing is that demand for exports of our grains is down
The reason....More and more countries don't want the GMO grains we have so they don't buy them. This is actually bad for our economy as grain exports have been a major player in exports, bringing the ratio of money leaving this country back into the country. Bad for Economics but keeps our price down. Other governments care about the health of their people so they are not buying our poisons

They had a pretty good year on the soybeans down in South America and also a lot of their grains. This will be good news for their economy down there if their not using GMO seed. If they are, they can send their soybeans here where we can make them into stuff that poisons our people.
Some of the stuff made out of Soy, if prepared speedily, is bad for a lot of Europeans. The Asians have been using this for many generations and can tollerate it better. Properly aged and brewed soy sauce is alright but using concentrated soy protein without proper alchemy as an attractant (glutamate) is not good if done excessively. It can cause a destruction of the glutamate sensors of the nervous system which causes loss of ability to store long term memories I guess. Sorry for getting off topic.

I guess we will not know exactly what is going to happen in the future. Our government is trying to reassure farmers that things are going right and has extended payments in it's crop insurance program to keep farmers from getting frustrated. So big corporate farmers can profit by this insurance and the small farmer gets enough to cover expenses and has to go to work for someone to survive.

So depending on which lie deception we listen to, the outcome looks different. Either way this news doesn't look very promising. I'm going to buy another can of Java for stock even though the short term prices are lower. I wonder if the government will be requiring companies to list their imported soy and wheat as imported? I'm sure that lot of our cooking oils are imported already and that does not seem to be something that has to be listed because the company producing it is American.

I'd stock up a little on things if I were you guys. You can't really lose if you work the sales. The new information that is flying around in agriculture is really all over the place. So much deception fed to everyone. We need the farmers in this country, they are still the backbone. Small farmers growing real food are preferred. Why should we be supposed to eat food that has no history of it's effect on us. Well, I suppose other countries can learn from our mistakes so that is why they are banning these foods and watching how sick and screwed up our kids get.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavmas

Mate dont know what country you are in but if you are in the Uk I will give you examples where food is up by 78% in the last six months, I will check my online shopping lists and show you the prices I paid in 2012 and now.

They dont just put all the prices up at once. take olives, I paid 64p in 2012 the same olives are now £1.08. a 50 box of crisps were £3 now the same crisps are £5.50. Ikg of olive spread was £2 now £2,50. Teabags were £3 for 240 now the same teabags vary from £5 to £7 depending wher you shop, " lts of fanta, Irn Bru Pepsi was 69p at various stores now its 2 bottles for £3.50 or £1.87 each.

The inflation figures our UK government gives are just so much bull. Forgetting technology and looking at what the average person buys each week, real inflation averages out at around 7 or 8% - not 2.something like they would have us believe.

edit on 14-2-2013 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

The Asian ones are mung beans - I have some but have yet to try and sprout them. Should work tho.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by MaMaa

Yes and Apples, fresh tomatoes, when one costs a dollar or more, it is hard to buy for an extended family. Another thing is lettuce, it used to last pretty long and well worth the high price in those plastic big containers, the organic type you know? But now as soon as you open the package it begins to turn black. If you buy more than you need to eat that day it starts getting watery and browned. Forget the lettuce in the bag any more. I wonder what is causing this, it has only been in the past year that this has been a problem.

I made a salad recently, it did not have anything extravagant but it cost about 15.00. JUST salad! There really is good cause to hedge your funds with survivor style stocking up. What you buy today could very well be obsolete by next year or become an extravagance.

It is weird with the big push to eat healthy and all that only the very cheapest, most genetically modified, pesticide ridden, gluten filled and hydrogenated foods are affordable.

Eating fresh every day in the quantities they say are part of the new pyramid is not realistic nor healthy when even those choices are limited to regular shelf produce that is probably giving people cancer, tumors and a whole host of other problems like arthritis, diabetes and childhood disorders as well as compromised immune systems.

I hear ya! I have a family of 6.. me, hubby, and four boys so you can imagine how much food we go through. I have found a place that I can get romaine, green leaf, and red leaf lettuce for under a dollar for a full head which helps. Apples keep going up, as do citrus and I don't even use tomatoes in the winter if I can help it because they are all crap tasting and over priced. We grow lettuce, tomatoes, ect.. through the summer though so that will be nice to do that again in a few months.

For sprouts though, they are actually super easy to make on your own. Get the beans you want to sprout and get a sprouting jar. Which is really just a large glass jar with a mesh lid on top. You soak in water for a day or two, then rinse and drain every day after for a few days and they slowly start to sprout in the jar. Voila.. you have sprouts for salads! Super cheap and super easy.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
And who just bought Heinz for around 30 billion dollars?

Warren Buffet

One of, if not the richest, self made men on the planet, just bought one of the largest food manufacturing corporations.

That should tell everyone something about whats going to happen to the price of food.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuttle
And who just bought Heinz for around 30 billion dollars?

Warren Buffet

One of, if not the richest, self made men on the planet, just bought one of the largest food manufacturing corporations.

That should tell everyone something about whats going to happen to the price of food.

Warren is getting pretty old, maybe he likes being 57

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join