It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food prices to rise ( double)within months!!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
What we started doing at home is we make a menu for the week, all 3 meals, and do our groceries accordingly we realized that we waste a lot less and we have just what we need, and we spend less.

Every penny counts these days right.
edit on 12-2-2013 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The drought hurt the cattle ranchers and they sold their cattle off. No food no cows. The military increased their purchasing of beef so that the price of beef would not plummet. They then made a lot more MRE's out of the meat, that's why the huge orders this last summer. They supplied the beef to the companies I suppose.

Now we have a slim heard and the price is going to skyrocket because of the shortage. Also agricultural corn and soy crops suffered from the drought on a countrywide basis. Wheat got hit pretty hard to but the winter wheat did a little better. Summer wheat and winter wheat have different properties and are used differently in baking. Our national reserves buffered the wheat which should have gone up more than it did and exports to other countries paid better than American prices which are regulated and subsidized. Now we will have even higher wheat prices.

I check on commodities a couple of times a year, I am interested in keeping track of food futures and read all articles I come across. Coffee may spike a lot this coming year caused by too low prices because the farmers can't afford to take care of their crops. I learned that from someone here and did a little studying on it. I suppose I should get more of the sale coffee while I can, it's been around 7.99 for a 32 oz can on sale. I expect it to go up to 12.00 sometimes this year. It will only be up for a couple of years I feel till they get new crops developed.

Eggs and chicken should jump a lot yet, eggs are already way up from six months age. The chickens eat a lot of grains which are rising.

So meats, eggs, cereals and breads will be going way up. It looks like potatoes are doing alright, the potato growing areas are not so drought stricken. The price of milk and soy milk should also jump. Hopefully this drought will not last. We'll just have to wait and see. I have stocks to buffer the costs so I am not so worried. I may be fishing a lot this summer if meat prices go way up and may have to shoot a deer if I cannot afford beef.

Of course phones and cable will go down so they don't have to increase Social Security cost of living. Oh well, they haven't gave much of a raise in many years. Any raises were cancelled out by rising part B increases.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

We can never get that to work. Every time we try it gets messed up for one reason or another even though we have all the ingredients to make all the things we make on a rotating basis. My wife will say she doesn't feel like what we have planned so scrap that idea.:shk: I have learned that cravings are important though. Don't make the schedule into a must, you may need to change something around. I have been studying necessary food chemistry to combat illness and imbalances that cause a lot of problems.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I wonder how all these gas prices are supposed to rise when some states like mine are imposing price controls on them to keep gouging from happening..

Hmm, methinks someone is just trying to hype something..

(Governor Malloy stated he was going to lower the gas taxes and put a mandatory cap on pricing in his State of the State speech, doesn't sound like they're gonna skyrocket in Connecticut.. )

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

The states can only impose control over price gouging by the gas stations. They can't control the speculators profit gouging of America. Gas stations will start going out of business if things get to strict, they can't afford to lose money on gas sales. It isn't the stations fault, competition between the stations usually helps keep it low. How would you like to loose fifty cents on every gallon of gas from the last shipment and never get to recover the loss.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
All that horse meat starts to look good when when beef cost 6.99 a pound..

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 2012nwaiting

www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov...

This drought forecast doesn't like real pretty right now.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08
I wonder how all these gas prices are supposed to rise when some states like mine are imposing price controls on them to keep gouging from happening..

(Governor Malloy stated he was going to lower the gas taxes and put a mandatory cap on pricing in his State of the State speech, doesn't sound like they're gonna skyrocket in Connecticut.. )

How can you cap the price on something and still have it available in your state?
Seriously, If gas were to go up to say, 7 bucks a gallon. You just wouldn't get any gas in your state... It's that simple.... Or is it? How would that work? Any ideas?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by Teye22

We can never get that to work. Every time we try it gets messed up for one reason or another even though we have all the ingredients to make all the things we make on a rotating basis. My wife will say she doesn't feel like what we have planned so scrap that idea.:shk: I have learned that cravings are important though. Don't make the schedule into a must, you may need to change something around. I have been studying necessary food chemistry to combat illness and imbalances that cause a lot of problems.

Your pic looks like petrified poop on a stick... But your from the U.P. so... It's probably petrified poop on a stick...

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by foodstamp

We may be scounging for squirrels in our yard before long

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I can only think about the future health problems people will have as a result of cutting back on nutritious food due to higher prices.

Alpo anybody?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08

I agree with the above statements.

Look no further than the gouging or fleecing of Americans for their money. Going into the grocery is like gambling in Vegas.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Your state isn't the only one in the country, you know.
Gas prices in my area have gone up 15 cents in three days. I haven't even heard any of the officials in this state talking about a cap of any kind. Flori-duh sucks.

Plus, you do realize that things that are sold in your stores are trucked in from other states, right?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

we have run out of horse currently running on donkey
you could not make this up

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The fearmongering never stops...this is bullsnip. If you search ATS, you will find dozens of threads spanning the past six years with predictions of doubling food prices supposedly to happen "in the coming months". HAS it happened? NO. Will it happen? NO.

I swear to god if someone tells me to "do my research", I'll flip the hell out. I've done my research. Time for you to be real, and do yours...by looking at all of the FAILED food price increase predictions...then come at me.

Stop with this fearmongering BS already.
edit on 12-2-2013 by XalienagendaX because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2013 by XalienagendaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I work in the foodservice industry, have written about this topic in the past on ATS, and I can tell you that food prices have already taken a sharp turn upward!

With changing weather patterns, such as we have seen with freezes in California and adjacent areas, the price of goods that are normally quite cheap have risen dramatically.

Have you seen the price of leaf lettuce, grapes and onions?

Prices shot up within a matter of 1-2 weeks in just the last month.

Add the increasing price of feed grain for slaughter animals and you have a bad mix of high prices for basic produce and cut meats. That is also compounded by the fact that many ranchers consolidated their "live" assets within the last year to avoid the high prices of feed.......leaving supplies short of current demand.

I've been saying for some time that people need to watch this area very closely and bit-by-bit it has come to fruition.

Buy some ramen noodles for god's sake! You make need it!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Not trying to fear mong!! Just sharing what I had heard on a news cast.
Thought it was really interesting to me! And thought provocative.............!!! Wake up and look at the real world. The price of everything s going up! It's just that most people can't afford the price hikes on everything,,,, one day weare gunna wake up and be broke ...

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I can only think about the future health problems people will have as a result of cutting back on nutritious food due to higher prices.

Alpo anybody?

What? I wasn't supposed to be eating that?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by billdadobbie

we have run out of horse currently running on donkey
you could not make this up

Bud, can you send me the link that states the prices are going up? I like this thread but still haven't seen an active link anywhere..

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockerchic4God

Just read the whole thread and agree with you and soficrow, I have to say that my gut instinct tells me that this year is going to be ripe with weather related disasters and anomalies which will only cause a sharp rise in food prices as well as political strategies through Monsanto and GMO advising farmers it is the right course of action to go with their roundupready seeds if they plan to survive the drought and make any money as the Gov is backing them and not the failing farmers. Its going to be the year of big agri imo.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join