It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Westboro Baptist Church Member Denounces the Doctrine and Poses for NOH8

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Former member of the infamous Westboro Baptist Church of Kansas Lauren Drain has renounced her upbringing of hatred and bigotry and declares that she now realises everything that the church stands for and that she used to stand for is completely wrong.

Drain is now using this change of heart that she's had to devote herself to the noble causes of LGBT, gender, and human rights and equality.

Drain posing for the anti-prop 8 campaign

"The main reason I posed for the NOH8 Campaign was in direct response to the judgements of the WBC. I wanted to show people that despite having grown up within the cult and having spent a good portion of my life on the picket line, holding signs condemning our deceased soldiers, revelling in any and all forms of tragedy and simply striving to be hurtful in the name of God; that the WBC is wrong and what I did at the time was wrong."

Full article

Drain's memoir Banished delves into how she was cast out from the Westboro Baptist Church for daring to question their modis operandi and the self re-discovery and undoing of her indoctrination that followed her banishment.

I find it very intriguing that in a community where the members are steeped in doctrine and brainwashing from such a young and impressionable age, there are still people that can manage to see through the BS of such a vitriolic and incredibly f**ked up -system of beliefs and realise that everything they've been taught to believe without question is wrong.

There it is.

A tiny piece of my faith in humanity restored.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Maybe I just dislike the WBC THAT much....but I wouldn't trust her any further than I could toss her, personally.

Much like the Aryan Nations in so far as saying 'once in, always in' for core belief. The WBC isn't even a Church in more than name. it's an incestuous little family of remarkable size and boundless hate for all they lay sights on.

Maybe she has changed.. perhaps... I'd sure question her jump right INTO the very heart of what she grew up to hate the most though. Kinda what someone might also come up with to sabotage a thing from within. I'm just cynical, I know, but then again, I live in the Show Me State and we kinda feel strongly about that Motto on this side of the Kansas border.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Nice free publicity stunt to sell some copies of her book I think.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLiesOfEden

You know what's great? The more people who leave the WBC "family", the more of them who will entertain the idea of leaving. Hopefully, this hate-fest will dissolve in the coming generation.

Good for her!

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This is just scary kind of weird... Good for you leaving a cult...But your services are not needed here....

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
sounds like an attention grabber grabbing more attention

or else she wouldnt be posing like that

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Holy #! She's kinda hot (in a reformed bigot, hate-filled narcissistic way)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
If she's being genuine, more power to her. WBC is one of the most deplorable of modern cults.

I loved the part in God Bless America when Frank and Roxy kill every member of the fictional version of the WBC. Good stuff, good, good stuff.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
Holy #! She's kinda hot (in a reformed bigot, hate-filled narcissistic way)

KINDA????

What the hell you smoking over there??

SHE IS SMOKING HOT!!!

I forgot about what she was even talking about or talked about there for a second.....30 actually....

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I suppose scepticism when it comes to something like this is very understandable. Like I had said before, to grow up in the WBC is to be fully immersed in the indoctrination from the beggining. I don't believe that this is a decision she made on the spur of the moment, rather a slow realisation of all that was wrong and f**ked up about this institution.

It is pretty strange that I of all people am choosing to take her at face value with this but seeing as I personally have been given no reason to doubt her and her intentions, I'll continue that way.

I guess all we can really do is wait and watch.

new topics

top topics

join