It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran calls for end to ALL nuclear arms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

TEHRAN (AFP/Reuters) - Sanctions-hit Iran on Tuesday called for the destruction of all atomic weapons in the world after North Korea announced that it had staged its most powerful nuclear test yet. “We need to come to the point where no country has any nuclear weapons and at the same time all weapons of mass destruction and nuclear arms need to be destroyed,” foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said when asked for a response to Pyongyang’s claim to have detonated a “miniaturised” device. “At the same all countries should have the right to make use of nuclear activities for peaceful purposes,” Mehmanparast said at his weekly press briefing.

Iran calls for end to ALL nuclear arms

Well well well what should we think of this? If only that would happen. Who will give up first....
edit on 12-2-2013 by citizenoftheworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Seems like a stale mate to me.

It can also be read as propaganda, "you disarm and I will attack". But then again, who in his right mind would want to disarm first...

If anything, I just don't like how things are unfolding with this. It's a ticking time bomb.

Peace
edit on 12-2-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by citizenoftheworld

While they deny having any aspirations to having them themselves.. of course they do =) have we all not seen how many photoshops of how awesome their airforce and military capability is? ... they would of course want the world to stand-down..

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I don't necessarily mind the sentiment, actually. It's that part about details I'm not sure we ever get past in our lifetimes. I'd love a world without nukes in military deployment status, 24/7. That's as close as we ever get since you can't un-invent something and if 100% of ALL nukes were honestly destroyed? The next crackpot to make one, blackmails everyone. It's almost silly to say that way but no less meaningful for the impact, eh?

Having said that... Israel has 80 measly warheads. It makes them a regional superpower. Nifty. The US or Russia? Well....

Not much has changed since I was growing up outside Los Angeles in what I heard called a "total overkill zone". It meant it was targeted so many times over to get so many different points of interest in such a small geographic area, bacteria wouldn't likely survive, let alone the proverbial roach. Russia and the U.S. set the tone on nuclear arms. They always have. It'll take both, too...so Putin needs to show at least a passing interest beyond words for the papers. Just my thoughts...

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Iran is always calling for an end to nuclear arms. We all know no country that has nukes will give up all their nukes. At best, some nukes will be dismantled, some, and at worst, some nukes will be lost/sold to the black market. At the end of the day every country that has nukes will still have nukes. Israel will never give up it's nukes.

Will Iran continue it's failed nuke program it abandoned years ago? Probably not since they are under the microscope of western and Israeli intelligence agencies so even if they wanted to start it up again they'll be shut down before it goes anywhere. Iran's best hope for attaining a nuke is buying one from Russia, China, N. Korea, etc.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Fair is fair, you won't give up, then I will have some too. kinda logical....

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Sorry but nukes have been the only thing that has prevented another world war over the last 60 years or so.

Take them away and war is far more likely to occur between the powerful nations. You don't think China will send in their army to take Siberia if they know that Russia can't nuke them?

It will happen.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Ya, funny
Didnt they recently help North Korea build one with their enrichment process?
Hmmmm
that was quite the boom this last week, what was it,, like a 5.3 quake equivalent?

Have someone else test out your stuff......

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Deflection, Iran knows that the larger countries on the list ( thank you Wrabitt!) will never disarm- meaning neither will Iran.

Nor will we give up our guns same thing.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
How many times have nuclear weapons been used in combat? There’s only been two dropped in aggression, one 'Little Boy’ on Hiroshima, 6th of August, 1945 and the ‘Fat Man’ dropped on Nagasaki, 9th of August, 1945. Over 200,000 human beings were murdered, most of them innocent civilians not much different to you and me. Who knows how many have died after the fact or were severely injured/deformed. These days, them seem to act as a bit of a deterrent of war, and of course a last resort ‘Hail Mary’ type weapon.

As long as Israel has undeclared nukes of which it has never admitted to, then I think it’s only fair that Iran develop/buy them for their own defence. The world goes hard at them over nuclear weapons, yet is fine with Israel having them? Hypocrisy...

Iran hasn’t started a war in hundreds of years... When was the last time the US, Israel and I suppose the West in general instigate a war or unjustified invasion and imperialism of another nation? Who should have a greater right to nuclear weapons for protection; a nation that is aggressive, starts wars and occupies countries or a nation which does none of this yet is constantly demonised and threatened?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BlindBastards

I say we sell 30 nukes to each country in the Middle East then slowly back up.

I'm sure they are all responsible enough not to use them.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
reply to post by BlindBastards

I say we sell 30 nukes to each country in the Middle East then slowly back up.

I'm sure they are all responsible enough not to use them.

LOL..
sound like a grand idea..
and welcome to ATS

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Why thank you.

I'm quite enjoying this site as opposed to the usual political forums I usually hang out in. I love the variety of topics here and there's always something to discuss with someone.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
If we, as a people, want to ever see cheap energy come to fruition, we will first have to do whatever it takes to stop our penchant for turning our sources of energy into killing machines.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
It may have happened if we followed Russia's lead under Gorbachev, unfortunately America decided it would be in the worlds best interest not to destroy any nukes and co-operate in unilateral disarmament treaties but rather make more and continue with its imperialistic conquests.

I think what Iran is doing is kinda funny, but kinda disheartening, despite making there request known on a global scale that they firmly believe we should disband all our nuclear arsenals, give it a year or two and the very same people who have read and listened to Iran speaking about nuclear disarmament will also be the same people who believe the corrupt war mongering government that is now telling them Iran has nukes and is a serious threat that must be destroyed.

Hats off to all the brainwashed who ultimately make the horrors of war a reality.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Sorry, couldn't stop laughing.....Iran? Really? Destruction of all nuclear weapons, except for the ones that you have, Right?
You know, the one's that you deny that you have and have been working on.....
Yeah, lets just jump right in with this! You first.....

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Submarines

Think about it.. Iran have only been accused of wanting to build nukes, there is no evidence that they have tried. As for the morons pushing sanctions and threatening to blow the Iranians apart, where are their good will gestures to disarm the WMD's they have readily available? Because of this, I really couldn't care if Iran were to get their hands on nukes whether its through building or purchasing one.. Whats good for one is good for everyone and the West need to stop bitching because we are the ones who started this ridiculous arms race if there even is one from Irans behalf.

top topics

join