It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African American dresses in KKK hood on Philadelphia street corner

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Okay, a couple of things before you get to the meat and potatoes of this article. First, I would humbly ask that if there are discords that take place in this discussion that they are done so while still maintaining the ATS standard of civility and decorum, please. Additionally, I searched a number of different variances of this article to no avail as being posted already (begging your pardon with that cliché). Thank you.

African American dresses in KKK hood on Philadelphia street corner

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) - In 2013, no one expects to see a man dressed in a Ku Klux Clan robe mid-morning in Center City, Philadelphia.

"I think that's nonsense," said one woman on the street. "He needs to be committed to the jail system," said another onlooker.

The man, who stood on the corner of 13th and Filbert on Tuesday, is not out to lynch or kill black people. In fact, he is black. Thirty-five-year-old Sixx King says he's using the offensive symbol to highlight a serious problem: black on black crime.

"We're bringing awareness to the black hypocrisy, complacency and apathy in the African-American community," said King. According to the FBI, in 2011 more than 7,000 black people were killed. King's sign reads that the KKK killed 3,446 blacks in 86 years, while black on black murders surpass that number every six months.

Full Article

So what say you ATS? Smart way at getting his message across or poor choice in judgment at getting his message across?

I am pulled on this actually. On the one hand, I can see how this statistic brings light to the facts with how many black on black deaths there are vs. how many blacks have been killed by the KKK in 86 years. He mentions the hypocrisy therein and I have to presume this is where his motivation was.

A Philadelphia Councilman wasn't at all pleased with the display however:

"All my anger for my ancestors who went through that terror of a Ku Klux Klan hood and what that symbolizes to me, evoked anger," said Philadelphia Councilman Curtis Jones Jr. "I was angry!" Councilman Jones took a picture of what he witnessed and posted it on Facebook. Hundreds have shared the image, and the comments were mixed."

Although the Councilman understood it appears:

"I don't agree with that symbolization," said Jones. "But you can't ignore the message, so I support what he did."

So I think I stand about where this Councilman does, the message is indeed there using this tact, but I think it should have been more thought out and if Mr. King wants to bring awareness to this problem then I think he should try and find a different evasiveness if that is the method he is going to choose. But as was stated in the article, the overall message shouldn't be ignored.

It seems Mr. King recently produced a documentary about black on black crime. Here is the Youtube preview posted 2 weeks ago. The above display was imo and presumptively due in part to promote this documentary.

Mothers Of No Tomorrow Official A Sixx King Film

Sixx King

Here is his Vimeo profile, according to the profile he is a promising "writer/producer/director/actor/activist". Perhaps I am too far out of the loop but I have not heard of this guy before reading this article so forgive any ignorance on my part in that respect.

Sixx King is one of today’s most promising writers/producers/directors/actors/activists. A natural organizer, mobilizer and pop culture maven, King is always on the cutting-edge of what’s new and hot in entertainment. Through his company, Sixx Degrees Films, King has produced music videos for some of the industry's brightest artists.

A once in a life time interview by Howard Stern in 2005 paved the way for King's radio career with New York’s Hot 97 morning show. During that same year he appeared in his fourth feature film, Black Cloud starring Tim McGraw and Rick Schroder.

I give him a lot of credit for attempting to take this problem on and try to bring awareness to a seemingly ever growing problem in America. This quote from him in the article above leads me to believe that he has a long journey a head of him in regards to this issue though...

King told me he didn't intend to offend anyone. When asked if he thinks standing on the corner in a KKK outfit will really make a difference, King said, "I don't think it will stop someone from killing. But hopefully, it would make that person think."

This should be his goal imho, find a campaign/display that not only makes people think but in turn stops them from killing one another.
edit on 2/12/2013 by UberL33t because: typo corrections

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This automatically made me think of that scene from Blazing Saddles.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
It's brilliant.

I wonder if we could get some aborted babies in pexi-glass boxes on the side of the street and compare the number of murders to the willful murder of innocents (safely called abortion)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Great intentions....possibly flawed idea.

But his message is one that should be addressed.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

What do these stats say?

Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.

Blacks are three times more likely to use a hand gun, and twice more likely to use a knife.

Hispanics commit three times more violent crimes than whites, but the statistics are nebulous because sometimes they are classified as white, so it could be far higher.

The best indicator of violent crime levels in an area is the percent of the population that is black and Hispanic.

Blacks are 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against whites then vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit a robbery.

Forty-five percent of black crime is against whites, 43 against other blacks, and 10 percent against Hispanic.

LINK

edit on 2/12/13 by Infernalis because: Lines

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infernalis

Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.

Blacks are three times more likely to use a hand gun, and twice more likely to use a knife. Hispanics commit three times more violent crimes than whites, but the statistics are nebulous because sometimes they are classified as white, so it could be far higher.

The best indicator of violent crime levels in an area is the percent of the population that is black and Hispanic. Blacks are 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against whites then vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit a robbery.

Forty-five percent of black crime is against whites, 43 against other blacks, and 10 percent against Hispanic.

LINK

What do these stats say?

That there is a problem, of epidemic proportions that needs to be met with a non-violent yet strategic approach.

ETA: BUT, I don't think the problem is limited solely to the people in the above statistics.
edit on 2/12/2013 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Considering his message, I can't think of better way of bringing attention to the matter. I'm all for it! Many don't pay attention unless they are offended!

See ya,
Milt

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Poverty and lack of education... The Monetary System!

top topics

join