It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Witch Pardons Come Centuries Too Late

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Better late than never! Accused Witches and their cats, who were executed in the 16th and 17th century in Scotland will be pardoned. The ceremony in which pardoned 81 witches, were allowed under ancient feudal powers which will be abolished in a few weeks. In all, 3500 Scots were executed, often with little or no evidence. Several descendants of the condemned will be at the ceremony.

story.news.yahoo.com
PRESTONPANS, Scotland - Accused witches � and their cats � executed during a wave of hysteria and religious ferment hundreds of years ago will be pardoned on Halloween in this Scottish township, a court official said Friday.

Sunday's ceremony will publicly pardon 81 people executed in the 16th and 17th centuries for being witches. The pardons have been granted under ancient feudal powers due to be abolished within weeks.

"There'll be no witches' hats, dress-ups or that sort of thing � it will be a fairly solemn occasion," said Adele Conn, spokeswoman for the baronial court granting the pardons.

More than 3,500 Scots, mainly woman and children, and their cats were killed in witch hunts. Many were condemned on flimsy evidence, such as owning a black cat or brewing homemade remedies.

Prestonpans region recorded one of the largest numbers of witch executions in Scotland, said Conn, who is the "mountjoye," or official spokeswoman, for the Barons Courts of Prestoungrange & Dolphinstoun.

Gordon Prestoungrange, the 14th baron, granted the pardons in the last session of his court, which is due to be abolished Nov. 28, she said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

One was quoted as saying �But I'll be trying my secret powers with the lottery next week.". The last such execution took place in 1727 and the trials were outlawed by the Witchcraft Act of 1735. The United States went through a similar period. Known as the Salem Witch Hunts, many accused �witches� were executed.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:32 AM
link   
If they (us) sink they were innocent - and die
If they float they are guilty, burn 'em - and die

Jeez

I just wish the remembrance of my ancestors could bring lite to, basically, what is still happening - albeit not the stakes.

But then, the remembrance of them by many, I'm sure, has not changed - burn them, burn them all.

Misfit

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:36 AM
link   
kind of sounds like our country.
You either obey us and fight in a war and we like you - and die
Or you hate us and get thrown in jail for being a terrorist - and die

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Unfortunately, the mentality that led to these people being murdered is still alive and well.

Heck, just look at a sample of politically-motivated posts in any forum on ATS and you'll see the same hatred, rage, reckless tendency to make baseless accusations and delusional ability to see evil everywhere except in one's own heart.

We haven't changed a bit. How many centuries will pass before those who wrongfully accuse others now will admit that they may have been wrong?

I won't hold my breath.

An off-topic digression, I suppose, but it's impossible not to see the obvious parallels.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Just another "oops" for a bad POLITICALLY motivated move to be exhonerated.
"Yeah, we killed people we shouldn't have."

When will thinking people have enough?

Let's look close to the news, it'll tell you about the new witch hunts.

top topics

join