It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Charged With Threatening Cheney's life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - A man was charged Friday with making a threat against the life of Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) during his campaign visit to Michigan, the U.S. attorney's office said.

Homer O. Shoup Jr. of Wayland made the threats in a 911 call Friday morning, U.S. Attorney Margaret Chiara said a statement. Authorities apprehended him a few hours later in Grand Rapids around the time Cheney was about an hour's drive away in Dimondale, Mich., for a rally, Michigan state police said.

Cheney spokeswoman Anne Womack referred all questions to the Secret Service, which said it was investigating.

In the 911 phone call, the 51-year-old Shoup said, "I've turned my van into a bomb and I am going to crash it into the Capitol Centre and try to kill Cheney," according to a criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Grand Rapids. The Capital Centre in Dimondale is where Cheney spoke.

Police tracked down Shoup at a park in Grand Rapids where they found in his van a propane gas tank, a full 5-gallon gasoline tank and three empty metallic trash cans.

Before making the 911 call, Shoup dropped off at Grand Rapids station WOOD-TV a videotape and letters that explained his plan, Chiara said.

Shoup remained in custody and was scheduled to appear in U.S. District Court in Grand Rapids on Sunday morning. He faces up to five years in prison if convicted.

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20041030/ap_on_el_pr/cheney_threat

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Wow. VP's in trouble day.

Edwards plane just caught fire and had to do an emergency landing in Raleigh. They say it's no big deal, a "press battery" exploded and caught fire...but still.

OBL tape was today.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I think trying to harm Cheney is like taking on the devil in a fiddle playing contest. Cheney is probably laughing and thinking of a torturous punishment.

doctorduh

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Wow. VP's in trouble day.

Edwards plane just caught fire and had to do an emergency landing in Raleigh. They say it's no big deal, a "press battery" exploded and caught fire...but still.

OBL tape was today.

I guess I don't understand your point! Please expand.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Come on now, I smell something here.. the guy called to let them know he was going to do it? This is fear mongering at it's finest. Cheney says they are out to get him like my daughter sometimes says she has a headache right around bed time.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:44 AM
link   

like my daughter sometimes says she has a headache right around bed time.

What the heck is that supposed to mean?

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by dcgolf

This should shed some light...
dictionary.reference.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy

This should shed some light...
dictionary.reference.com...

Are you using your daughter with a sexual connotation? That is just sick.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Are you using your daughter with a sexual connotation? That is just sick.

C'mon man, that statement is in extremely poor taste. The analogy is actually pretty simple, it's all in their head.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Pathetic. i guess we've hit a new low on ATS.

Im only hoping that remark is meant as a crude joke.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I still don't understand his daughter reference. I did not mean any negative response.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Come on now, I smell something here.. the guy called to let them know he was going to do it? This is fear mongering at it's finest. Cheney says they are out to get him like my daughter sometimes says she has a headache right around bed time.

Twitchy was the one who said it, not me. I'm just trying to understand his/her point!

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 02:38 AM
link   
In other words, she says she has a head ache to get us to feel sorry for her and let her stay up past her bed time. Cheney says he is threatened to gain sympathy. Sexual references? WTF?

edit to add:
dcgolf you got something against me personally? I notice alot of you on my threads and replies here tonight.

[edit on 30-10-2004 by twitchy]

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 02:48 AM
link   

In other words, she says she has a head ache to get us to feel sorry for her and let her stay up past her bed time. Cheney says he is threatened to gain sympathy. Sexual references? WTF?

edit to add:
dcgolf you got something against me personally? I notice alot of you on my threads and replies here tonight.

[edit on 30-10-2004 by twitchy]

Actually, no. I respect your opinion. That's what make America great. Freedom of speech. Being the father of three young girls I tend to be oversensative to sexual connotations. I appologize in advance.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Actually, no. I respect your opinion. That's what make America great. Freedom of speech. Being the father of three young girls I tend to be oversensative to sexual connotations. I appologize in advance.

How the hell did you come up with that anyway??

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
" think trying to harm Cheney is like taking on the devil in a fiddle playing contest. Cheney is probably laughing and thinking of a torturous punishment. "

Cheney is human, when the grim reaper calls his number he'll be gone and the gates of hell await him.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Cheney and/or Bush? I would think that they've spawned enough deep rooted psychosis to warrant assasination attempts?

new topics

top topics

join