It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Comics Faces Boycott over Anti-Gay Superman Writer

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Oh, yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. They also have to live with the consequences of those opinions. Nothing will come of a boycott of DC but many who didn't know before now know one of the writers is a hater. There are many films and books written by racists and homophobes. I'm entitled to my opinion that once they make their stance public, they are asking for a response. This guy is getting one.

CJ

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

but asking an organization to FIRE somebody over a personal belief, that does not influence their work, is wrong.

And unjustifiable. This is just the gay community screaming bloody murder over nothing, once again.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
So now I have to go through and vet every artist whose art I appreciate for views that are incongruous with mine? Tolerance is a two-way street, people.

Boycott him when he starts writing horrible stories.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by stutteringp0et

Originally posted by forgetmenot
While I am a tiny bit disappointed that the author of one of my favorite books, and genuine Sci-Fi letgend feels this way, it is his right. If its not affecting the story, it doesn't matter what he thinks.

He's Mormon, what do you expect. That alone should get the guy some sympathy. Besides, Mormons think badly of anyone who isn't Mormon.

I was raised in a Mormon family, and chose to not participate at the earliest opportunity. I won't get into the reasons, but my family treated me much differently after that. The last time I saw my dad, stepmom and little brothers - my step mom told me that their town had a lot of bars and strip clubs, as if all non-Mormons do nothing but drink and pay strippers. It's been better than 2 decades since I was last in a strip club, and probably 5 years since I was in a bar.

What's funny is catching Mormons doing things un-becoming of a Mormon. Fortunately Orson Scott Card is a Sci-Fi writer - which goes along nicely with the Mormon religion - they believe that God lives on the planet Kolob. No doubt, God has no gay neighbors.

I really don't care if he's Mormon, Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Subgenius, atheist, et. al.

Additionally, as many atsers can attest, belonging to a certain religion does not shackle you to any one belief that is commonly held by people of that same religion. Just as holding a certain belief does not shackle you to any religion.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
They have a gay Green Lantern.

Enough said.

They can't tell their workers what to believe or not believe, that's personal business anyway.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by forgetmenot

DC doesn't do that either. lol

They did let Frank Miller finish Batman and Robin All-Stars.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Imagine the uproar there would be if it was those god hates fags guy demanding they fire an artist for being pro gay marriage.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Of course. I hope I didn't ever position myself that he should be fired. Heckled? Mocked openly? Whatever comes his way. When you have a voice via media you need to be held acountable.

CJ

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Well, that would be stupid. Why would that happen?

CJ

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

but asking an organization to FIRE somebody over a personal belief, that does not influence their work, is wrong.

And unjustifiable. This is just the gay community screaming bloody murder over nothing, once again.

~Tenth

Whoa, just really took in what you wrote. So using your constitutional rights is wrong and unjustifiable? The employer can look through bs, one would hope.

CJ

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

No you are free to complain, bitch and moan all you'd like. But I'm going to call you an idiot when you do it without merit.

As it stands, these people have no real reason to demand he gets fired, they just have their feelings hurt by his comments.

Tough luck.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

They do it all the time.

But no one cares, because they're crazy.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Do you also think this is crazy too? I find both ideas absurd. People losing their job over their opinion or beliefs is nuts if you ask me. As long as they are doing what they are paid to do properly, doesn't matter their opinions or beliefs. At least that is how I have always looked at it.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

DC doesn't do that either. lol

They did let Frank Miller finish Batman and Robin All-Stars.

They don't what?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Stop people from writing bad stories.

Look at Batman and Robin All-Stars. Frank Miller turned from a great writer to turning Batman into a crazed psychopathic killer with an awful catch phrase. And DC never really stopped him.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

No, they have no call to fire him. They can raise their voice, which, ultimately is what is happening. You think he will be fired? Of course not.

"Without merit" is subjective.

CJ
edit on 15-2-2013 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I am so sick of this...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Merit would imply that his views effected his job.

They don't, so far as I've been able to tell.

No merit.

Do I disagree with his bigoted stance? Sure do. I am a gay, married man after all.

I'm more upset that once again the gay community seems fit to attack a man's job for his personal opinions, when they request that people stop doing that with their sexuality.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

I think it is more than that. I think it may be that when one who has a voice and a high profile status like this guy speaks out and makes a point of being identified by a hate philosophy that it is ok to voice your opinion that it is wrong. Whatever the collective lunatics do is just media fodder.

CJ

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Hate philososphy that it is ok to voice your opinion to be wrong...... How is that a hate philosophy?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join