It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Comics Faces Boycott over Anti-Gay Superman Writer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Most of you in this thread are idiots.

Here's why.

You condemn the gay rights activists for boycotting the comic because of a writer they disagree with. On the grounds that he has freedom of speech.

Yet they are expressing their freedom of speech by openly stating they won't buy something written by someone that they don't agree with.

So the gay rights activists don't deserve freedom of speech but the writer does?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

Here's why.

You condemn the gay rights activists for boycotting the comic because of a writer they disagree with. On the grounds that he has freedom of speech.

Yet they are expressing their freedom of speech by openly stating they won't buy something written by someone that they don't agree with.

So the gay rights activists don't deserve freedom of speech but the writer does?

You're an idiot, and here is why!

The LBGT community is not trying to boycott DC due to what DC has actually released in a product.

They are trying to boycott DC based on the personal beliefs of a writer that has yet to transfer any of his personal beliefs to his work.

Would this be a precott? Like a precrime, but for boycotts?

The sad, and I mean truly sad, part of this is how many people will listen to the LBGT community because it is the LBGT community, not because of what is actually said.

edit on 14-2-2013 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

Here's why.

You're an idiot, and here is why!

The LBGT community is not trying to boycott DC due to what DC has actually released in a product.

They are trying to boycott DC based on the personal beliefs of a writer that has yet to transfer any of his personal beliefs to his work.

Would this be a precott? Like a precrime, but for boycotts?

The sad, and I mean truly sad, part of this is how many people will listen to the LBGT community because it is the LBGT community, not because of what is actually said.

edit on 14-2-2013 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

They didn't hire him so that he could -not- write comics.

What do you think DC is just going to give him money to do nothing?
Would you buy a book written about Freedom by Fred Phelps even if it had none of his very volatile views in it?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Are you being obtuse intentionally?

Seriously?

This is a highly regarded and established fiction writer. He has at least 50 books to his name, 13 awards, etc. from his solo works. God knows how many could be added for collaborative efforts.

And do you know what is not found in any of them? I will give you one guess.

This isn't a boycott, this is a libel and slander campaign. If it had been any group outside if the select 'righteous', this would have been laughed at.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

They have an equal right to boycott him just like he has his right to take a stand against gay marriage.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

reply to post by peck420

They have an equal right to boycott him just like he has his right to take a stand against gay marriage.

Funny, they aren't boycotting him...

However, since this is the game you want to play...

We should start a boycott of homosexuals! Under the premise that they are trying to exterminate the human race.

None of this is true, mind you, but I am allowed to boycott whomever I want for whatever reason...just like the LBGT community...right?

Ironically, the LBGT community should be lauding this man as a hero. He has repeatedly published works that are 100% secular from his beliefs. Which is what they are striving for, is it not?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by davidchin

I was under the impression that green latern turned out to be gay. Also if you want to be tolerant of everything there should be all thoughts allowed including ones that are anti gay.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
They have the right to protest and he has the right to express his opinion.

That being said, his opinion on gay marriage is stupid, but I don't think it's anything worth protesting over for two reasons:
1. His work doesn't reflect his opinions at all.
2. There are many other people who share similar, idiotic opinions regarding gay marriage. Why don't they get boycotted?

All this is going to do is give ammo to all the homophobes out there, especially the ones claiming that homosexuals are shoving their beliefs down their throats.
edit on 14-2-2013 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by chrome413

However, the boycotters are expressing their right to protest. If, as a result, DC fires Card their simply simply doing what will maximize their profits. The truth is though that this boycott won't accomplish anything. This is a digital only series so the vast majority of the people that buy it will be Superman completionists or Card fans. These people won't boycott the series based on Card's views. Regardless of what happens no one's rights are infringed upon and DC will act in its best interest as dictated by our capitalistic system.
edit on 2/14/2013 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

Yes, the lbgt community has the right to boycott. And if DC fires him then they are exercising their right to maximize their profits in a free market society. However, that does not negate my earlier contention that if you can lose your job because of your beliefs, then there really is no more freedom of speech.

And nowhere did I imply that boycotters had no right to protest. They have every right. Again, the contention is the man losing his job because of this.

link   
Whatever happened to live and let live? If he is Catholic he is obligated to denounce gay anything. I love how the tolerant aint that tolerant when you disagree with their agenda.

link   
reply to post by peck420

We don't know what he actually would have published since he still has editors. For all we know he could want to do a piece where Superman lectures some of DCs gay teens that what they're doing is immoral and a sin, and then help make them straight. But again, DC has editors.

And if you want to boycott homosexuals thats all you.

But at least do it with some brains. Claiming that all gays want to make everyone gay to exterminate the human race is incredibly, incredibly stupid. But if you want to believe that, go ahead.

But, Im not really sure how you can boycott homosexuals. Since there's a different between freedom of speech and infringing on human rights. Which, infringing on human rights is a crime. And different from not purchasing a comic book because you disagree with their hiring practices.

I'm all for the rights of all people. But you seem interested in only hating homosexuals. It's DCs decision whether they want to keep this man on as a hire. The boycott makes that peoples views known. It helps them make business decisions. What is wrong with that?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Superman is as gay as they come

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by forgetmenot
While I am a tiny bit disappointed that the author of one of my favorite books, and genuine Sci-Fi letgend feels this way, it is his right. If its not affecting the story, it doesn't matter what he thinks.

He's Mormon, what do you expect. That alone should get the guy some sympathy. Besides, Mormons think badly of anyone who isn't Mormon.

I was raised in a Mormon family, and chose to not participate at the earliest opportunity. I won't get into the reasons, but my family treated me much differently after that. The last time I saw my dad, stepmom and little brothers - my step mom told me that their town had a lot of bars and strip clubs, as if all non-Mormons do nothing but drink and pay strippers. It's been better than 2 decades since I was last in a strip club, and probably 5 years since I was in a bar.

What's funny is catching Mormons doing things un-becoming of a Mormon. Fortunately Orson Scott Card is a Sci-Fi writer - which goes along nicely with the Mormon religion - they believe that God lives on the planet Kolob. No doubt, God has no gay neighbors.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
the church has had methods in place for 100's of years for same sex unions even after they became technically illegal

At St. John Lateran in Rome (traditionally the Pope’s parish church) in 1578, as many as thirteen same-gender couples were joined during a high Mass and with the cooperation of the Vatican clergy, “taking communion together, using the same nuptial Scripture, after which they slept and ate together” according to a contemporary report. Another woman to woman union is recorded in Dalmatia in the 18th century.

relevant site Link

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LordArrgh

Thanks for posting that.

I do find it incredibly interesting.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

So you'd have no issues with a KKK leader or Nazi Skinhead writing books made for kids?

CJ

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I'm not sure it makes a different since I thought em GAYS read and watch

The Ambiguous Gay Duo...

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 14-2-2013 by 2ndSEED because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

So you'd have no issues with a KKK leader or Nazi Skinhead writing books made for kids?

CJ

As long as they kept their nazi/racist/kkk nonsense to themselves, I don't see why not. They are entitled to their beliefs, they just aren't entitled to impose them through their work.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

CJ

As long as they kept their nazi/racist/kkk nonsense to themselves, I don't see why not. They are entitled to their beliefs, they just aren't entitled to impose them through their work.

~Tenth

Yes they are >_>

At least in America.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Link is borked, the article is on page two of where the link takes you though.
Try this Seems OP didn't use link generation button.
edit on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 13:02:35 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

Muchoes appreciated

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join