DC Comics Faces Boycott over Anti-Gay Superman Writer

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I agree with you, why are they so mad? I'm not. To each his/her own.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The gay community is becoming intolerant, and it's rather annoying. I don't care if you're gay, but I don't want to know about it; I don't want your sexual desires rubbed in my face because its not something I can relate to, nor do I care to relate.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

It's true. All people want equality, but then they also strive to be above the people they wanted to become equal too. It doesn't make any sense.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidchin
radio.foxnews.com... top-stories/dc-comics-faces-boycott-over-anti-gay-superman-writer.html

I thought that the comics industry was considered a place that was tolerant of differing ideas. I don't remember anyone telling everyone to boycott certain comic companies when someone introduced a homosexual superhero.

What? Are you kidding? Lots of people called for bans because of gay characters....for instance factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com...

As for whether it's right or not....Boycotting something is Capitalism at work. If you don't like something for some reason, you don't buy it. What's more American than that?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

radio.foxnews.com... top-stories/dc-comics-faces-boycott-over-anti-gay-superman-writer.html
I just read about this on Fox News.

Is anyone else hearing about this?

Gay rights activists are calling for DC Comics to fire the author of a new digital Superman project because he is opposed to gay marriage.

Orson Scott Card, a well-known science fiction author, is part of a team of writers and artists assembled by DC Comics to create “Adventures of Superman.”

I'm not sure that I agree with such a call. It seems rather threatening.

I thought that the comics industry was considered a place that was tolerant of differing ideas. I don't remember anyone telling everyone to boycott certain comic companies when someone introduced a homosexual superhero.

If you don't agree with a certain point of view you can just tell the people involved about it and let them know that you won't be purchasing their product. But I think it goes too far to demand that someone be fired for having a different opinion.

So we've got a bunch of people protesting intolerance by being intolerant?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
But....but....but.....they let Batman And Robin be part of the comics for years! And if half those earlier ones areny gay as can be ambigously spoke I dont know what is! (No offense to Batman and Robin as I love the comics but you got to admit in the early ones...............)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Not much of a threat. How many gay people buy comics anyways? Aren't they busy playing with barbies and my little ponies?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
how are they being any different then the special ed teacher who said there should be two separate proms one for gays, one for straights. just saying pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Yes how dare anyone in the United States have an opinion AND have a job! To hell with freedom of speech! Accept gays or never work again!

Seriously, people need to grow up. Guess what? You're not a special snowflake. Some people HATE you for being gay. And guess what else? They have a God given right to hate you for being gay if they so choose.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
The gay community is becoming intolerant, and it's rather annoying. I don't care if you're gay, but I don't want to know about it; I don't want your sexual desires rubbed in my face because its not something I can relate to, nor do I care to relate.

Agreed and it is being shoved down our throats on a daily basis in every aspect of entertainment. We're talking about forcing 90% of the population to watch something that only 10% call a "lifestyle". I'm sick of it. You want to watch a gay movie? Go make a gay movie. Stop throwing it in our entertainment like it's normal in the name of being politically correct. It's not normal and honestly, the majority of us find it sickening.
edit on 14-2-2013 by spqrenki because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by spqrenki

actually homosexuals only make up about 4% or less of the population.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Having read the posts, the article and then doing a bit of research the following can be stated:

The problem with this is not the boycott itself, but the reasons why the boycott is being given. To boycott a person, a group, a business cause of their beliefs and stating it, is both correct and wrong for them stating such. In the US, people are entitled to the freedom of speech, they are entitled to state such, no matter who they are.

But in this case, the reasons for boycotting the writer cause he is very religious, and states the line that his belief states should not be the only reason to do such, that is wrong and ultimately we should not tolerate. The freedom of speech is not a one way street, we can not be expected to allow for one side to have an opinion, vocalize it and not the other to have the same courtsey or right to do such.

The man has the right to the freedom of speech, that is protected and correct, however, if they must boycott the man for anything, it should not be for what he wrote in the past, but rather for what he does currently, in his life and any thing that he says right now. Personally, it is his affiliations that should be called more into question, and how they translate into his job, rather than what he wrote in the past. Now if he goes off and into the point where those old topics he states he believes in now, then yes hold him accountable for those, but only those, not any and everything.

Most people have skeletons in their closet, how you deal with them is personal, but should not we take the higher road and be forgiving, of the past, where a person can grow as an individual?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by bigcountry08

Insanity.

If they don't like DC comics, tell them to go make their own comics. I'm so sick of the political correct garbage.

If you're a gay black muslim woman that wants an abortion and free birth control, you should just be elevated to god status.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
time to boycott gay rights activists for trying to ruin someones very livelihood over personal beliefs.

Thats the thing about personal beliefs- we are allowed ro have them.

-not to mention the very call for such actions under extremely weak reason is enough to warrant a btch-slap for wasting everyones time,.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire
I will be buying more DC comics

Why is this any different than "anti Christian" writers???

Suckerrrrrr

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I just read about this on Fox News.

Is anyone else hearing about this?

Gay rights activists are calling for DC Comics to fire the author of a new digital Superman project because he is opposed to gay marriage.

Orson Scott Card, a well-known science fiction author, is part of a team of writers and artists assembled by DC Comics to create “Adventures of Superman.”

I'm not sure that I agree with such a call. It seems rather threatening.

If you don't agree with a certain point of view you can just tell the people involved about it and let them know that you won't be purchasing their product. But I think it goes too far to demand that someone be fired for having a different opinion.

The link in your OP does not bring one to an article about boycotting DC comics...

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Whether I agree with this man's opinion or not is irrelevant. He has the right to his opinions. It's called freedom of speech. And if you can lose your job because you exercise your constitutional rights, then there is no longer freedom of speech.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Link is borked, the article is on page two of where the link takes you though.
Try this Seems OP didn't use link generation button.
edit on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 13:02:35 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Thank you for the better link. Somehow the original link that I used was a continually updating page that has since dropped the story and added newer articles.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by chrome413

However, the boycotters are expressing their right to protest. If, as a result, DC fires Card their simply simply doing what will maximize their profits. The truth is though that this boycott won't accomplish anything. This is a digital only series so the vast majority of the people that buy it will be Superman completionists or Card fans. These people won't boycott the series based on Card's views. Regardless of what happens no one's rights are infringed upon and DC will act in its best interest as dictated by our capitalistic system.
edit on 2/14/2013 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join