It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Comics Faces Boycott over Anti-Gay Superman Writer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
radio.foxnews.com... top-stories/dc-comics-faces-boycott-over-anti-gay-superman-writer.html
I just read about this on Fox News.

Is anyone else hearing about this?

Gay rights activists are calling for DC Comics to fire the author of a new digital Superman project because he is opposed to gay marriage.

Orson Scott Card, a well-known science fiction author, is part of a team of writers and artists assembled by DC Comics to create “Adventures of Superman.”

I'm not sure that I agree with such a call. It seems rather threatening.

I thought that the comics industry was considered a place that was tolerant of differing ideas. I don't remember anyone telling everyone to boycott certain comic companies when someone introduced a homosexual superhero.

If you don't agree with a certain point of view you can just tell the people involved about it and let them know that you won't be purchasing their product. But I think it goes too far to demand that someone be fired for having a different opinion.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I will be buying more DC comics

Why is this any different than "anti Christian" writers???

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by davidchin

This, IMO, is not an effective or responsible manner of making a social statement. It only serves to further alienate those who disagree - not to educate or create any sort of meaningful dialogue. By all means, go online and voice opinions about the writer and make the public aware of his positions - but don't spite the guy an ability to feed his family and earn a living.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

exactly, why can't anyone have an opinion anymore without being crucifed for it??? this is what we've become... the final days of Rome

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
If they're not making a character that is anti-whatever, then who cares about how the author feels about anything? It has nothing to do with anything, but his personal beliefs. If he was writing a comic promoting hate of any group, or intolerance of said group, then sure, they'd have a point. But all he's doing is writing a general comic about a superheroes adventures. So what if he's anti-gay?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Orson Scott Cards a great writer, what does his personal opinion matter toward his "art"?

They want to picket Enders Game movie as well if it ever comes out, Awesome book and I am sure movie as well.

Its their right to boycott, but its also his right to have an opinion.
edit on 12-2-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

well according to the last election gays make up 3% of the voting population... I don't think this boycott will have a big affect :-D especially since Comic-Con has more attendance than the entire gay voting population

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire
reply to post by benrl

well according to the last election gays make up 3% of the voting population... I don't think this boycott will have a big affect :-D especially since Comic-Con has more attendance than the entire gay voting population

Thats what I was thinking as well, How large of a Demographic can DC even be looking at being targeted for this boycott?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
As long as Superman isnt gay then I couldnt care less what his views are. All i care is that he is a GREAT writer and may do some good to ol supes. And I agree about the book. Not so optimistic about the movie though.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I think it's wrong to pressure a company to fire someone for differing views. I thought it was wrong when the One Million Moms group tried to get Ellen DeGeneres fired from being the JC Penney's spokesperson.

However, calling for a boycott of a company's product or service is okay. Anyone who doesn't want to purchase from a company that hires someone they don't like, is free to do so. I said the same thing with the One Million Moms - they were free to encourage people not to shop at Penney's, but they were wrong to jam the store's switchboard trying to pressure management to fire DeGeneres.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Not very much, the comic book crowd is okay with the gays, as long as its girl on girl... but they dont care about things like this...

They say they do but wont boycott them...

Unlike me.. I boycott all liberal products

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Irony that the activsts want freedom of choice yet try to deny this mans right of free speech.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
As long as they don`t add anti gay stuff in the comic then who cares what the writer believes? I don`t care.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
Irony that the activsts want freedom of choice yet try to deny this mans right of free speech.

Oh of course... Its only tolerant to the liberals if it fits their agenda... Think about it, if this was an anti-christian writer, than there wouldn't even be a news story on it

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
What does this guy's personal beliefs or religion have to do with his work?

He's entitled to believe whatever the hell he wants. As long as he isn't bringing that into his work,than I see no problem.

These people calling for a boycott are idiots.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK

While I disagree with the folks demanding a firing of this man - nobody is asking for his free speech to be taken away. Even if DC caved in and fired the man, his free speech would not be infringed upon - though he might well have a case for unemployment benefits or even a wrongful termination suite.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
While I am a tiny bit disappointed that the author of one of my favorite books, and genuine Sci-Fi letgend feels this way, it is his right. If its not affecting the story, it doesn't matter what he thinks.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by davidchin

Oh.. what a bunch of garbage.. So one of the great sci fi writers of our time shouldn't be able to work on this because his religion tells him homosexuality is wrong? Card wrote Enders game.. He gets a free pass, and he is Mormon so what is expected?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
An estimated 9 million Americans -- or nearly 4 percent of the total population -- say they identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender, according to a new report released this week from the Williams Institute, a think-tank devoted to LGBT research at UCLA.

Bisexuals make up slightly more than half that group, 1.8 percent of the total U.S. population, and they are substantially more likely to be women than men.

I don't have a problem with anyone being gay. I am having a problem understanding why such a small percentage of Americans have such a huge voice in American culture. The 96% of Americans who are not gay seem to be getting bashed for it. I have not heard of any gay people being wronged. All i am hearing is 4% of the population screaming injustice where there is none. I see our school policies being changed to suit 4% of the population. This is just wrong. 96% of the population should not have to bow to the wish's of 4%.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Unfortunately we live in a republic where the rights of the few outweigh the rights of the many... its a screwed up system when it comes to this... and not only that its only 4% and thats not even a large voter demographic...

I just think they get their way because they are loud and lewd during their events and get lots of press...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join