It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medal of Honor recipient (Clint Romesha) declines invitation to State of the Union

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Here is something for everybody to consider.

Medal of Honor recipients are given the following special privileges and special benefits:
Special Medal of Honor pension of $1,194 per month above and beyond any military pensions or other benefits for which they may be eligible. The MOH pension is subject to cost-of-living increases.
Special entitlements to Space A air transportation.
Enlisted recipients are entitled to a supplemental uniform allowance.
Commissary and exchange privileges (includes eligible dependents).
Admission to the United States military academies for qualified children of recipients -- without nomination and quota requirements.
10 percent increase in retired pay.
Medal of Honor Flag.
Allowed to wear the uniform at anytime as long as the standard restrictions are observed.
Many states offer Medal of Honor automobile license plates.
Interment at Arlington National Cemetery if not otherwise eligible

Not really that much different from those who have retired except the money. But the children do benefit.Overall, I'm cool with that.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I haven't seen a really long time and I'd like to hang with them just a little bit more

What does this mean?

Does he know something we don't? Or what is he implying by I'd like to hand with them just a little bit more??

That is the first thing that caught my eye here, but I would do the same if I were him.....

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t

What is your opinion? Would you do the same thing in this circumstance? Should his decision be considered an ungrateful gesture?

How about this:

The POTUS and his wife were the ones being "ungrateful" by not inviting this mans wife along with himself, as they share a WEDDING ANNIVERSARY that same night.

He has every right to go hang out with his buddies and his wife. Seriously what do you think would be more fun?

Hanging out with a bunch of great close friends, your wife, having a few drinks, maybe a bbq, mulling over good times, bad times, and just generally enjoying life..... OR.... going to some stuffy, uptight, pompous gathering of self-involved asshats whose only real ambition is to make themselves look good at the expense of... you

tough call

edit on 12-2-2013 by HIWATT because: fix

edit on 12-2-2013 by HIWATT because: spelling

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by UberL33t

considered an ungrateful gesture

Heck no, grateful for what?

He earned it.

I will disagree with you here. he didn't earn it, he was awarded it. Others had to put him in for medal. It wasn't like he was thinking, "Now is my chance!"

There is a difference.

He really had no say in the matter, he just did what he thought was right at the time.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I feel he made the right choice, and I would have done the same. Family, and friends are more important.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I don't blame him at all. All it would be is a photo op for the President and Congress at his expense. They would all have pictures taken shaking his hand and say how much they support veterans, while stabbing them in the back every chance they get. He doesn't need that crap.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

That he hasn't seen his comrades from Afghanistan in a long time, for whatever reasons, and he would like to have a beer with them, and swap There I Was stories with them some more. He is a former Sergeant, so he hasn't had the opportunity to sit and have a beer with people that are closer than brothers, and more strongly bonded than family.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

edit on 2/12/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Well, i would never have been wounded fighting for the shill in the first place. He'd have gotten a nice picture of my middle finger.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I understand , poor choice of words,

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

The kid has his priorities straight. His decisions and actions are proof of this.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I agree with the Sarge as well, I'd rather hang out with my brothers then sit thru some fail speech

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
He decided that friends and family were more important than worshipping the religion of STATISM.

Good for him.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   

What is your opinion? Would you do the same thing in this circumstance? Should his decision be considered an ungrateful gesture?

Personally, I think I would do the same thing and I applaud his comradery to his former unit and his love for his family. I would hope the President and First Lady would agree.

He should be commended for knowing what's important in life.

Awesome guy.

I believe he is the absolute definition of what that medal represents.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Couldn't of said it better myself. This hero's been through hell and deserves to spend his time as he wishes.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I wouldnt go.

But I wouldnt go into DC for any reason either.

I'm not about to subject myself to packing into any space shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of other cattle for any reason.

Even if I were POTUS I wouldnt go.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I commend Romesha for declining to attend.

It might be argued that thereby, he declined to participate in the dirty game of politics, and for that I respect him.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I don't know if I would do the same thing, but it is completely his decision what he wants to do. An invitation is just that, it's not a requirement.

I don't see anything ungrateful about it, it doesn't even matter if he is a Dem or Rep...for some people speeches and being the center of attention just aren't their thing. Or maybe he doesn't care for Obama's policies, that is his right.

He did say that he was honored to be invited and wished he could go, so I don't think he is trying to make a political statement out of it...he just wants to celebrate with people he knows rather than people he doesn't.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by schuyler

I have afeeling that this Admin is feeling a bit pissed off at this time. That's just my take on it.

"How dare you refuse the POTUS who awarded you the CMH? Just because you thought you would be used as a propaganda piece?"

I think he made the right choice.

What makes you think that?

Has Obama or anyone in the administration said anything that would give you that impression...or are you just reading their minds?

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Frankly it is pretty disgusting that they made this national news.

He is not obligated to go to some pomp & ceremony nonsense that has literally no meaning at all. He declined, end of story. The media while not directly saying so (I'm sure they are in other places) have to defend their precious Obama and imply that this was an "ungrateful gesture", or likely there is some President-hating conspiracy behind it. Maybe crowds make him very uncomfortable, maybe he has anxiety, maybe.. just maybe he'd rather be with friends.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join