It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange face in the rock

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I took this of the iron gates rock at alderley edge and I'm trying to work out what it is, I didn't notice until I looked at the photo afterwards. Whatever it is, is in the upper left hand

sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net...
edit on 12-2-2013 by Gildenel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Gildenel

Its a human condition called pareidolia , our brains are wired to recognize faces ...even if they're not there .

I can see a witches face center left of your picture

edit on 12-2-2013 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Gildenel

Your image wants me to use paint shop pro to open it...can you post the pic here?

TIA...Des

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Gortex has it right. It's called pareidolia, and it happens all time in both nature and manmade things.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
Its a human condition called pareidolia , our brains are wired to recognize faces ...even if they're not there .

I have the opposite condition of pareidolia.

When I look at a face, I see a rock.

To the OP, your picture is a landscape featuring a rock in the upper left hand corner. I know, because I am familiar with rocks.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I'd hate to think what you'd make of the mars threads

Sorry couldn't see it

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I think your probably right, it really surprised me though as I hadn't seen this when actually there.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Sorry I'm stuck on the iPad at present but when I get on the pc I'll upload it.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

I know, I know completely bonkers, it's just the place that its taken in is steeped in legend and mythology.

I'll post the legend here

once upon a time, a farmer from Mobberley was on his way to Macclesfield Market to sell a white mare. The horse was the finest of his stock, and he was sure that he could get a good price at the market. As he passed by the steep sandstone cliffs that make up Alderley Edge, he was stopped by an old man of noble stature with a white beard, and clothes that seemed to belong to an earlier period of history. The old man asked if the farmer would sell his horse to him for a fair price. The farmer refused, hoping that he could get a better price for such a fine animal at the market. Once at the bustling market it seemed as though he had been bewitched. Although his animal was admired and commented on, not a single offer was made, although lesser animals were sold quickly for good prices. Dejected the farmer set off back to Mobberley, as he passed Alderly Edge the same old man appeared and asked if he could buy the horse. The farmer agreed and the wizard motioned him to follow, he led the farmer through trees to the foot of the sandstone cliffs that make up the edge. The wizard touched the rock with his staff, and the rock parted with a thunderous sound to reveal a huge cavern. The old man led the farmer inside the earth reassuring him not to be afraid. The farmer could not believe his eyes, for inside the cavern hundreds of armour clad warriors lay in a deathly sleep. Every warrior bar one had a white horse standing next to him. The old man (who seemed now to be a wizard of great power) explained that the host was ready and waiting for the day when their countrymen would need them, then they would arise and fight to save the country. The wizard led on to a pile of gold and jewels, and told the farmer to take his fill as payment for his mare. The farmer grabbed a handful of golden coins and jewels, stuffed them into his pockets and walked out through the opening into the bright sunlight. The farmer, overwhelmed by his strange experience, set off running as the rock closed with a dull thud behind him. Although he tried, neither he nor anyone else could ever find the door again.

www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk...
There was another person who claimed to have seen the iron gates, this was Ellen beck, a servant in the 17th century, but when she returned with another person was unable to find them again, her life ended in tragedy after this.
edit on 12-2-2013 by Gildenel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I actually could see some sort of lizard!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gildenel
reply to post by cody599

I actually could see some sort of lizard!

Knew it you might want to read THIS

Just kidding

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I'm obsessed and I don't care
but it's a fun obsession so I'm not a psycho yet, I hope

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Finally sorted that pic, hopefully everyone can see it now

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Here is an interview with Alan garner author of the weirdstone trilogy talking about alderley edge and the iron gates

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
actually worked out how to post image in post, I said that the face was in the top left hand corner but it is actually half way up the rock on the left hand side, it looks like a face peeping out form within a crevice.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I wasn't going to add this, but I thought I would mention it, before I completely forget about it. I've had 2 science teachers 1 at 6th form college, and another at an a level course, that have taken my class to field trips to alderley edge and explained in great detail the legend about Arthur and his knights sleeping under the edge.

I've been greatly interested in Arthurian legend for a long time especially merlin, I'm not quite sure why. I rediscovered the edge again after reading the weirdstone trilogy by Alan garner and decided to go in search of the areas of the edge associated with the legend, I'd found everything except the site of the iron gates.

The last time I visited the edge I found this and took the picture in the op, after this I was just climbing back up to stormy point when I heard a noise like a car or something and turned round expecting to see a car or a truck, and then realised that there is no way you could get a car up there, I looked around again and realised that it was a tree that was making this noise.

I went over to it and, I know this next bit is weird
but I really felt that the trees spirit needed healing so I tried my best with this, as I've read about this but haven't done it before, I stayed with the tree until I could see someone else coming.

I walked back along the elf road and just as I passed the golden stone, a voice said to me "take one, it is a gift" and noticed lots of large pine cones lying along the track, so I took one of these, then that I should leave something, I was wearing an owl pendant and I left this buried in a hollow at the bottom of a tree.

This has all made me pretty certain that nature spirits exist, I don't usually here voices, this was a one off, and this experience only after finding the rock of the iron gates.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Sorry OP, I just don't see it.

The face in the alarm clock however...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RMFX1

That was pretty good wasn't it. I think only I can see that particular face, because I'm weird

edit on 15-2-2013 by Gildenel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm not seeing it either. Can you circle the area in the image that you are talking about by any chance?

As stated by other members, Pareidolia is likely the cause.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gildenel
reply to post by RMFX1

That was pretty good wasn't it. I think only I can see that particular face, because I'm weird

edit on 15-2-2013 by Gildenel because: (no reason given)

I don't know man, it seems to be pretty deliberate and it's super obvious. I love it!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join