It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$1mln Diamond Found in Russia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/zv511a6eca.jpg[/atsimg]

Russia’s state monopoly Alrosa has uncovered a diamond weighing 145.44 carats and worth $1 million.

­The clear with yellow tinge gem has dimensions of 35mm by 20mm by 26mm and is in form of octahedron. It was found in the Yubileynaya mine in Russia’s Far Eastern Republic of Yakutia.

In October last year, Alrosa has extracted the fourth largest gem found in Russia from the same mine. That diamond weighed 888.15 carats.
Source

This thing is huge as it is but how much weight and size are going to be lost in the cutting process? Will they attempt to keep the octahedron shape? And since the biggest diamonds usually end up being named what do you suppose it will be called?

On a side note I noticed that in the article the fact that the mine is referred to a monopoly twice in such a small article. Although I know this to be truth it just seems there is a resentment or a point that the article writer is attempting to make.
edit on 12-2-2013 by Agarta because: Changed wording

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

is that real? someone did a good job messing it up,,,
unless its "raw" but it looks cut,,, well, in a way...
looks more like quarz....

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I doubt it will be named unless someone really famous buys it and has it cut for them. $1mil for a diamond isn't really that much for that size. My guess is they have already determined it has many imperfections and inclusions and even when cut, will not produce a high quality diamond. My wife has been in the diamond industry (buy/sell/broker) for years and I have held $1.4 million dollar diamonds in my hand that are 1/6 the size of this one. It all depends on the quality and rarity. At $1mil for a rough diamond I would not hold my breath at this one being named.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Wow! Hopefully the guy who found it gets a nice reward

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Now we know why Putin just bought all that gold!

Russia's Putin buys 570 metric tons of gold

They'll need it to make a setting for this fat boy!

peace

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
....and this is why you never want to take me along to go diamond hunting in a place like the open mine in Arkansas. I'd pick that up, shrug at the weird chunk of glass and toss it aside to look for the diamonds I came for. Errr......

Then again, Picasso looks like a child had a tantrum with his finger paint set open....so culture isn't my strong point, obviously. Nice rock though!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
What are those markings on it?
There`s a triangle cut into it on the part facing the camera and at the top 12 oclock position there are markings, one of the marks looks like a dragon, the mark next to it is hard to make out.

Diamonds are pretty hard i wonder what they used to make those marks on it and why?

edit on 12-2-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
There`s a triangle cut into it on the part facing the camera and at the top 12 oclock position there are markings, one of the marks looks like a dragon, the mark next to it is hard to make out.

You lost me here....are you implying there is some kind of conspiracy with finding this diamond?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

Originally posted by Tardacus

You lost me here....are you implying there is some kind of conspiracy with finding this diamond?

I was thinking maybe it`s not just a raw diamond, maybe it`s an ancient artifact?
That triangle that is carved into it isn`t natural it`s too perfect of a triangle. Diamonds are really hard, who put those marks on there, what did they use to do it and why?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Great Gugga~Mugga!!! I likey!~ It's a raw diamond. They get the actual Diamond shape from Jewel Crafters. They can turn this 1mil Diamond into 5mil pending what they break it down and use it for. Or more... Anyone wanna do the math and break down the diamond into single Karot settings? 1 karot = approx 5k USD pending quality and cut.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

Not the first time I heard of a Crystal or Diamond being used in a reference as "Ancient Relic" And your right it looks the triangles were purposly ingraved there.

My question is if there is ancient info. inside this Diamond or even Crystals for that matter how do you extract that information? Even our sciences has it's limit's~

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I don't know about diamonds, but I've certainly seen natural markings that are even more complex than these on quartz. I have many that I've collected over the years with triangles, arrows, stars, squares on the surfaces and all kinds of shapes and marks on the interior too. I would say it's likely to be totally natural...minerals can be very strange things.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

* Enters the dark-zone *

Pyramid capstones, broken up and scattered over the earth.
Some parts still carrying the factory imprint and part-code.

* /returns to reality *

edit on 12-2-2013 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae

I don't know about diamonds, but I've certainly seen natural markings that are even more complex than these on quartz. I have many that I've collected over the years with triangles, arrows, stars, squares on the surfaces and all kinds of shapes and marks on the interior too. I would say it's likely to be totally natural...minerals can be very strange things.

Same here Cait~ From the books i've read. And people i've talked with it's to odd of a coincidence for multiple minerals in geologically different areas to posses striking similar markings. Part of me wants to believe it's atlantean but without any Science Fact I can support no such claim if only my own beliefs. It's like the Aura Quartz looking through with the human eye you can see Aura's no problem on different people different colors for everyone. What get's weirder is when you physically examine these minerals you find markins on the inside that legitamately look like modern day micro chips fractured on the inside of the minerals....

Now how to hook that bad boy up to a flux capacitor and extract that info.... ::Scratches Head:: McFlyyyyyy~!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by EartOccupant

Dude.... that was deep.... I never thought of that..... Mind bender..... Star for you

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Those are natural markings that occur in the formation of the crystal.... Definitely would be stoked to find something like this, but it is pretty common... Diamonds are not rare at all actually, just hard to get.... If im not mistaken only a few families run the diamond trade in the world. They control the prices...

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Those are natural markings that occur in the formation of the crystal.... Definitely would be stoked to find something like this, but it is pretty common... Diamonds are not rare at all actually, just hard to get.... If im not mistaken only a few families run the diamond trade in the world. They control the prices...

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I see the triangle on the diamond. I dont see anything else though.. An Octahedron.. WOW

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by youthsavior

This is true, Diamonds are more commonly found than quartz, but due to hording, the tradition associated with them, and their dazzling sparkle their value is much higher. In the gem world it really does not mean much in regards to rarity(in this case its size is what gives it its rarity). I have several pieces of Ahowhite(sp?) that are basically worthless save them being a crystal, but they are extremely rare. They were found in a single mine in a single location. They were found in great numbers to begin with and sold for just a few dollars a piece, but the mine dried up and it is not found anywhere making them one of the rarest crystals on Earth, but alas they are still only worth a few dollars a piece. I can't even find info on the net on them(at least at this point but I will keep looking). They are clear crystalline minerals with naturally rounded edges. They grow in the natural crystal formation of points, but have no hard corners and contain what looks like ribbons of blue flowing through them.

Edit to add: I will dig one out a bit later and take as good a picture as I can and post it here in this thread as an example.

edit on 12-2-2013 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Maybe it was part of an Ancient Dice set.... Kinda Looks like a 8 Sided dice.... The dice of the Giants??? Maybe the Ancients played AD&D too.... Ok I know it sounds far fectched.... I'm reading what I just wrote and i'm giggling.... i'm just romanticizing forgive me..... /back to reality going to lunch in 10mins Peace~

top topics

<<   2 >>

join