It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis Found!... maybe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Franki
hmm, alot of movies/shows/stories have played-off the concept of Atlantis... does this discredit it? i dont think so, but thats me.

all legend or myths have a base in reality. im just saying leave your mind open to the possibilities w/o claiming it false based on its presence in entertainment.

My problem with the Atlantis story is that all that we know about it came from a Greek story, and only one story.

That does not mean that the story is not true, but the fact that the only source is someone who is dead for more than 2300 years, and the fact that he wrote those stories to demonstrate his views of politics, mathematics, religion, science, etc., just reduces my optimism about it.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I keep telling you where Atlantis is, hehe...

The city of Atlantis was in the Altiplano of Bolivia, while the continent of Atlantis is now called South America.

As I mention often, Plato stated Atlantis was a true tale three different times during the dialogue. He also stated precise measurements, etc. which would have hardly been necessary if telling a narrative moral tale. The tale was told to Plato by Solon, an Egyptian priest. One might recall how South American herbs were found in ancient Egyptian mummies...

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

The city of Atlantis was in the Altiplano of Bolivia, while the continent of Atlantis is now called South America.

As I mention often, Plato stated Atlantis was a true tale three different times during the dialogue. He also stated precise measurements, etc. which would have hardly been necessary if telling a narrative moral tale. The tale was told to Plato by Solon, an Egyptian priest. One might recall how South American herbs were found in ancient Egyptian mummies...

Plato wrote those dialogs as if they were real, but nobody knows if they were or if they were only used as a way to show Plato's ideas.

Plato does not say that the tale was told to him by Solon, Plato does not apear in the dialogs.

The tale of Atlantis is told by Critias to Socrates, Timaeus and Hermocrates, and the story is supposed to have been told to Critias by his grandfather and supposedly attested by Solon.

In "Timaeus" he says that Atlantis had conquered Noth Africa as far as Egipt and Europe as far as Tyrrhenia, in Italy, but Athens was strong enough to stop the invasion!

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
[edit on 1-11-2004 by Franki]

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
There should be at least one large teocalli (translated- "sacred temple"), sunk down in the depths near the Yucatan Peninsula. There was a photograph of a stone-frieze taken by Maya scholar Teobert Maler, sometime in the late 1800's, of a step pyramid and an erupting volcano sinking into the ocean. The stone-frieze was found from an unknown site in Yucatan. The step pyramid in the frieze looks exactly like the existing Temple of Kukulcan at Chicken Itza. The Temple of Kukulcan is at least 100ft tall. I've seen some of the photos taken by ADC International and it looks like there are numerous large cut stones spread all over the sea floor. The remote rover could only see a few stones protruding out of the white sand. The side scan-sonar readings, however, reveal that there are many hidden stones under the sand. Possibly if these blocks were put togther they could form a step pyramid like Temple Kukulcan, but there could be more temples sunk there.

"As the glittering pageant streamed down the broad avenues of the city, the high walls on either side reverberated with the roar and bellow of chained beasts. The noise was increased by the mournful lowing of cattle, the wail of the captives, mingled with the clangor of trumpet, gong, and drum, making a pandemonium intolerable to uninitiated ears, but pleasing to the vitiated taste of an Atlantean assemblage.
After passing through the principal thoroughfares, the procession turned into the grand avenue and paused in front of the teocalli."
-Atla

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:36 AM
link   

As I mention often, Plato stated Atlantis was a true tale three different times during the dialogue. He also stated precise measurements, etc.

Precise measurements that where wrong by a factor of 10 if I'm not mistaken

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Ah yes the 'coc aine mummies'. Nice addition to this thread Gazrok, I had forgotten about that. That was some interesting work, alot of folks tried to discredit the lady who headed that research, but I think she was dead on from what I have read. Interesting connection.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
The Discovery Channel and the BBC found it in a greek flood plain

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace
There should be at least one large teocalli (translated- "sacred temple"), sunk down in the depths near the Yucatan Peninsula.

Do you have a source for this?

There was a photograph of a stone-frieze taken by Maya scholar Teobert Maler, sometime in the late 1800's, of a step pyramid and an erupting volcano sinking into the ocean. The stone-frieze was found from an unknown site in Yucatan.

That would be this one, right?
hometown.aol.com...

Maler himself (who didn't know how to read the hieroglyphics) did indeed think that frieze was actually related to Atlantis. In truth, he was just guessing at the meanings: www.mesoweb.com...

Now... all that I see are the photos of the main element of the frieze. But these things, like political cartoons, have a lot of text around them... text that we can translate.

We need to find a photo WITH the text around it and see the WHOLE frieze (or as much as there is.)

"As the glittering pageant streamed down the broad avenues of the city, the high walls on either side reverberated with the roar and bellow of chained beasts. The noise was increased by the mournful lowing of cattle, the wail of the captives, mingled with the clangor of trumpet, gong, and drum, making a pandemonium intolerable to uninitiated ears, but pleasing to the vitiated taste of an Atlantean assemblage.
After passing through the principal thoroughfares, the procession turned into the grand avenue and paused in front of the teocalli."
-Atla

Your reference there is fiction and not fact. There were no cattle in Mexico until the Spanish Conquistadores arrived.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join