It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slenderman

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire
reply to post by redhorse

I agree, he went to far, I think my post was a little more concise, and you are right the irony is too good to pass up...
But in all reality, Slenderman is a cool story its an internet phenomenon... the problem is, its becoming main stream and people are taking it as truth, thats dangerous (not in this instance) but it shows how gullible the generations are.

It is very true that people are taking it for truth, and that this is indicative of a certain amount of gullibility; but I don't think it is a generational thing so much as a human thing. Nothing new under the sun I guess. In fact, this phenomenon has been repeated so many times that it is part and parcel to the human condition. There is no stopping this train. This time we get to watch it happen... and with a method of communication completely unparalleled in human history to boot. It's pretty cool.

This "Slenderman" persona is apparently striking some fundamental chord with these kids. Even when they get a little older and realize that it isn't true, many will still hang on to the idea. I think that being able to watch this transition when there is a black and white digital "paper trail" regarding its fictional origins is particularly interesting.
edit on 12-2-2013 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Originally posted by redhorse

Or you could... You know... Lighten up.

No.
You may as well speculate with all due seriousness on the possibility for Bigfoot sightings actually being sightings of The Easter Bunny while mixing several other non-related and completely fictitious mythologies together along with Jim Henson muppets as if all of it was entirely real.

No. Anyone falling for and believing any such sort of nonsense needs be slapped soundly.

The board motto is Deny Ignorance, not Entertain Stupidity, Lighten Up, or Confederacy of Dunces.

We are also not supposed to insult people and call them names. But hey, you can pick and choose if you want I suppose. It rather detracts from the credibility of your "argument". It just sounds like a self-righteous rant that nobody is really going to listen to. Besides, I don't really see what there is to get all indignant and mean about. I see more ego than content in that... Again, the irony is kind of funny. You may want to rethink your tactics here.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Swizzy

Poster was probably trying to link Slendy with the Dylatlov Pass Incident:

Dyatlov Pass incident

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Here is a good look at what we are talking about.
I am convinced now !!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

What slenderman isn`t real!? what next the chitauri!?
thanks for ruining my life.........

no, but isnt there those old german fairytales about that shady old dude? der ritter?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Just a reminder...

Please be mindful of how we engage with one another.

By all means debate, by all means discuss - and when appropriate completely discard...

...that can still be done with civility.

Just also drawing your attention to this, at the top of the page:

Replies that make fun or otherwise ridicule and demean those posting honest experiences and/or questions will be removed.
Members who post such responses repeatedly will be banned.

(underlining added by me)

Thanks

edit on 12-2-2013 by alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by solve

no, but isnt there those old german fairytales about that shady old dude? der ritter?

Yes there is , there is a woodcut of Der Ritter, or “The Knight” that was used to propagate the myth or hoax ,extra limbs were added to the hoaxed woodcut picture , here's the original minus the limbs .
spiritoftheages.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhorse
This "Slenderman" persona is apparently striking some fundamental chord with these kids. Even when they get a little older and realize that it isn't true, many will still hang on to the idea. I think that being able to watch this transition when there is a black and white digital "paper trail" regarding its fictional origins is particularly interesting.

I have a nephew, grown, who gets the creeps about 'Slenderman' to this day. Don't understand it, it doesn't seem particularly scary to me.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join