It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Augmented reality robot provides physical sensations from virtual characters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
From the Article: "The [augmented reality] robot is wearing what is essentially a full-body green screen suit, and a virtual character is projected over the robot when you look through the [special] glasses, while the surrounding environment is captured and displayed through a head-mounted camera."

Link to Full Article

Ok, there are so many uses for this technology I have trouble deciding which one to discuss here. So, I open this topic up for open discussion on the tech here.

One future potential I can envision is for long duration space flights. In this case the computer is the care-taker/central-nervous-system of the ship (a.k.a HAL9000) and the robot is its physical manifestation that allows a more "human-like" interaction with the crew. The crew members could also project anyone they like upon it, family members, friends, etc... to get the feeling of not being so isolated from them while on the expedition. Then, at the destination, they could accompany them on the mission, as one (or more) of the scientists still back home.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
An augmented reality robot? cool

I can think of some uses too

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
You all know what market will make this profitable.....
A recent study showed that 90% of people that bought 3D TVs did it, because "nipples are supposed to stick out".
[Citation needed]

new topics

join