It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teeny Tiny Microcopter Deploys to Afghanistan With British Troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Not sure if this was posted but its a few days old news. This definitely is cost effective compared to other expensive gadgets which at times are left behind only for the enemy to re-produce and use it against the troops. Although Its not a rocket science or top secret technology and I'm sure many nations can produce similar technology, the benefit lies in the military spending and possibly avoid being ripped off by the defense contractors.

Black Hornet is definitely adding value, especially considering the lightweight nature of it. We use it to look for insurgent firing points and check out exposed areas of the ground before crossing, which is a real asset. It is very easy to operate and offers amazing capability to the guys on the ground.

LINK

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

So disappointed.............

Read your title and thought i would get to see teeny tiny soldiers to go with it!
Actually quite a cool looking bit of kit and potentially very useful in certain situations.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The temptation is too great not to have a bit of fun with these. I can imagine operators taunting snipers, using them in a version of 'not touching you, not touching you' as they hover the drones inches from their faces. The sniper's pride would get wounded, react in a way to reveal his position for your snipers to take him out.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Sounds like an expensive toy to me. They are training the soldiers to each want one of these, this being the desire of the people making them. It's like giving the guys a nailgun, they do not desire to use a hammer again for pounding nails. The nailguns I own just shifted the labor costs to tool and supply costs and didn't really save anything. Relying on technology only necessitates increasing reliance on technology and can cause problems with perception in the future. If the little copters aren't working the job may not get accomplished.

I wonder if these work like other GPS controlled technology that goes in circles if it loses GPS signal. I hate relying on that GPS stuff. A guy I know had the GPS navigation on his boat. Signal was lost and the boat started circling. The lines with the downriggers got caught in the prop and while they were trying to get it untangled the boat took on water and sunk. Both guys on the boat died but their wives survived. That is the information I got from a friend who had talked to the wife.

Reliance on technology only gets us more reliant on technology and then we become vulnerable.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Cheerfulnihilist

The soldiers will use them for things that they don't need to and the batteries will be dead all the time

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Ok, I wan't one of those so bad but I wan't one fully equipped with toothpick missiles so I can torment the rest of my household while piloting my heli.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

The soldiers will use them for things that they don't need to and the batteries will be dead all the time

I hope you aren't suggesting that soldiers sometimes act like children and will be blowing up empty cans and cig packets with them?

Perish the thought!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I want one, going to hover up to the second floor of my neighbours window when she is taking a bath

ooo lala!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Several friends and a cousin who served in the Canadian Forces told me stories that adds truth to the old maxim: idle hands are the devil's playground.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Originally posted by rickymouse

I hope you aren't suggesting that soldiers sometimes act like children and will be blowing up empty cans and cig packets with them?

Perish the thought!

You sound like you are an experienced soldier

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Black Hornet: The $195,000 Spy Plane That Fits in the Palm of Your Hand

Source

$195,000 a piece!? What the hell is this thing made of?

Hey MoD, I've got a hammer for sale if you're interested...

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by PW229

Black Hornet: The $195,000 Spy Plane That Fits in the Palm of Your Hand

Source

$195,000 a piece!? What the hell is this thing made of?

Hey MoD, I've got a hammer for sale if you're interested...

Hmmm...I read it wrong. It should cost $100.00 not $195,000.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I wonder if it is "Raid" proof?

top topics

join