It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Higher Standard Boards Exposure...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Hello friends and fellow members,

As many of you know, there are three boards on ATS where the quality, the integrity and the overall standard is often times quite a notch up from the rest of the boards.

Those are the Debate Forum, the Research Forum and the Short Stories Forum where not only does a member need to apply and be approved with the proper status to participate but must keep a certain decorum and outstanding participation at all times.

Many moderators are trying to elevate those boards along with willing members that have taken those boards to heart. Now, my questions are simple.

Why don't these boards get more exposure?

There are incredible stories, amazing debates and unbelievable research going on in there, on a variety of topics, that make ATS way superior to other conspiracy sites by a long shot.

So, where's the exposure? Why doesn't the front page carry a section for the top stories, debates or research? why doesn't the crew of ATSLive push the formats?

I just find it odd that we would push the tin foil hat contest on ATSLive ( which was fun though ), we would push Jesus is a vampire on the front page but the very best that ATS offers - often times - ( which btw would attract more members and most surely new members that would join in that aim for quality ) is nowhere to be seen...

Just wondering...any ideas?

edit on 12-2-2013 by SonoftheSun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
The best things in life are not for free.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Some things are best kept secret.

Shall I go on?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I agree with the poster above me. I am happy with the "low exposure" because it keeps all the "noise" normally found in heated topics, out and one can really zoom in on a topic with civility and decorum.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

It's basically not everyone's cup of tea really.

The main two, the research and debate forums take a special kind of member with a special commitment to make it work properly, and as you said, a higher standard is needed for constant participation.

As for the writer's forum, well the Short Stories forum is open to anyone, and is actually quite busy even when a monthly contest is not held. The collaborative writing is a harder nut to crack, because most of the established stories have their regulars, and it is difficult to get a new, successful collaborative effort going strong.

While the members active in these threads do their best to garner both new members and support (including myself), some people I guess would rather be spectators than players, which is good really, because it leaves those with the commitment to make these forums work challenged and held to a higher standard.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
While I agree with both your replies, I do not necessarily think that more exposure would add noise as the filters are on the status approval and not afterwards. ATS has decided to change the titles of Challenge Debates to Debates in order to get more exposure from Google and so forth.

The threads are constantly refreshed to the recent posts page...

Not sure about noise...

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
While I agree with both your replies, I do not necessarily think that more exposure would add noise as the filters are on the status approval and not afterwards. ATS has decided to change the titles of Challenge Debates to Debates in order to get more exposure from Google and so forth.

The threads are constantly refreshed to the recent posts page...

Not sure about noise...

Ive changed the titles to "Debates" so that those interested in Debates will find the debates. And they will.

But thanks for your interest and support.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

I absolutely agree with everything you've said but I still don't think that more exposure would bring noise. On the contrary, I think that more exposure would bring more quality driven members to the boards along with lurkers and guests who would decide to join, attracted by the quality and not the noise.

But maybe I'm wrong, will wait and see for other replies....

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

The other option is to turn your signature space into a sort of 'billboard' as I have done, with clickable banners. People tend to respond to visual stimuli, and I have highlighted my favourite three hangouts so that people can see they exist and go directly there from my sig line.

It's certainly something to consider, and if you would like a set to try it out, either swing by the Avatar Creations thread or shoot me a u2u, and I can sort something out for you.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
While I can agree with Sky and magma, I find it kinda sad that some of the best content on this site goes, for the most part, unnoticed by the general population.

ATS is constantly having to remind it's members to adhere to a higher standard and be respectful to those you may disagree with.....why don't we highlight the forums that not only provide great discussions, but also show how people can sit on opposite sides of an issue and still maintain a civil atmosphere?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Son, I say son...

Ok so I had to do a little humor in there, But i have to agree with the herd on this one.. (more humor yes but it's 2 days after a major blizzard, i'm sore can barely move, and i need to be lighthearted) but there are reasons for holding some areas to a higher standard of excellence. Why? Because we pour our hearts and souls into these debates, stories and research, and it tends to be a source of pride and bragging rights..

Have you ever noticed, win or lose a debate and we're all still friends? We dont' whine and moan and groan that "OMG the judges are biased" or "I can't damn believe they didn't see it my way" part of that comes from having a bit of non-seen area to work within, we don't have to act the way the world would expect, we can have civil intercourse and we can police our own areas and make sure that they stay, for the most part, drama free.

Does that mean we dont' want our stuff read? Not on yer life, but putting everything out on the front page, would start to bring in an element of arguers and the like, who just like to be disruptive for disruptive sake..

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Troll Free Zones, anyone?

While using the term Elite maybe condescending to the others members, and not a term I use very often, the writers/fighters/scholars of ATS are top-notch, hard hitting, and some of the best people I've ever met.

While we could use more traffic, interest must be given, not taken. The other members will volunteer to be involved, if they are ready.

I advertise those forums in my sig area, and to me, that is advertising enough. The curious will click.

Excellent comments, everyone.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Good feedback.

It seems that a majority prefers it that way. Fine by me !!

Just thought I'd ask, thanks to everyone for the pertinent comments.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

You have to ask permission to post on the story forum ?
Oops I did not know that .. I have just been posting.
I have just found this forum and it is great.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08
Does that mean we dont' want our stuff read? Not on yer life, but putting everything out on the front page, would start to bring in an element of arguers and the like, who just like to be disruptive for disruptive sake..

No problem. Then their status is removed.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

You have to ask permission to post on the story forum ?
Oops I did not know that .. I have just been posting.
I have just found this forum and it is great.

Short Stories is an open forum. Collaborative Fiction is restricted to Writers only.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

ATS is like a gym. Some will try out different pieces of equipment, others are content with the treadmill.

Just my humble. . . . .

(going to get a mango smoothie now and watch women's yoga through the glass wall)

edit on 12-2-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Always good to have input on what members would like to see. I like the idea of featuring some research threads on the front page personally.

That forum has some excellent threads like yours and its revamp is really going great guns

Anyone wanting scholar status should contact me Rising Against or Advisor
edit on 12/2/13 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I like the forums themselves. However I just don't find myself a very good writer and I am not always the best at expressing my point and ideas so I don't post in them. But still I enjoy them none the less.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Flagged for the sentiment

This site is full of some great threads that are better than articles by professional writers. Some members punch above their weight and do a lot to raise standards. Deep down in the sub-forums you describe are some of the stalwarts who keep it courteous and intelligent. Long may those forums and members live! HAIL!!

Ahem....but...sigh...the price of exposure is *probably* dilution, disappointment and (cough) despair. Imagine a well-written OP being met with some oblique written hand-grenade like, 'If they had guns it wouldna happend.' Or a heavily referenced research project on JFK being occupied by the one-note political hacks?

Hmmm, I wonder? Is there any way to get a fake Scooby Doo style 'monster' to scare the 'pesky kids' away from the abandoned amusement park?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Always good to have input on what members would like to see.

I absolutely agree with Davespanners and it's always nice to have feedback. SAP, for example who has none of the status titles, chiming in and sharing his opinion is really great ! And to get feedback from different moderators who often have much more experience than we do is deeply appreciated !!

From what I've seen so far from the different replies is that everyone enjoys that those boards are troll free. I totally agree but does it suggest that we should remain under the status quo per say?

I liked Intrepid's reply to Vkey. Problem? Then the status is removed. Problem solved.

I am simply bumping it once more so that more regular members might want to join in the discussion, or other participants and moderators. It seems that there could still be room for a little more talk on this...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join