It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy SEAL Who Killed Bin Laden Left in Poverty: No Pension, Healthcare or Protection!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

I think that was kind of what I said. He could have been medically retired (if he has a 50% package now, he could have gotten a 30% package before getting out) but that would have been a 6-12 month process. He could have ridden a desk for three more years and gotten his full twenty, but he bailed.

The all or none system is a bogus one, but it applies to everyone and you are corect, as a SNCO, he knew the process and what he needed to do but he chose not to do it for whatver reason. Its not like the Navy left him high and dry as suggested by some.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I'm curious on the OP... What would you have done for or with this man? We all have our ideas of what did or didn't happen...or to whom it happened that night in Pakistan, but just for fun, lets all pretend it really was Bin Laden and Seal Six really did punch his ticket to the virgins beyond that night.

What SHOULD be given or granted the lead men in the door to kill him? Did that one act of killing another man rate a bonus? Financial boost? Rank made or enhanced? Retirement where none had been?

Unless this man and the team have actually had WORSE treatment than would have come without the mission ever happening, I'm missing the issue? They all volunteered, not once but at least 3 times. Probably more, just to get where they were that night. First for the Navy, Second for BUD/S training and Third, by reports, to be on that team for that mission.

So realistically and in all seriousness here. What, specifically, should have been done differently? The Congressional Medal of Honor doesn't fit and wouldn't buy him a cup of coffee at Denny's in the real world, anyway. A cash bonus would be crude beyond words and patently offensive. I'd HOPE the Seals would be offended at the mere suggestion as much as I would be to hear of such a bonus for killing him.

Bin Laden needed killing... NO question. Whether it happened in 2001, that night or some time after, screaming like a girl in a CIA Black Site a couple thousand miles east of Pakistan is one for the history books and decades into the future to know for certain. However....the only guy who DID write a book and try to make money was universally condemned within his own community and well outside it for having done it?

edit on 12-2-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: typo

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColonelSF

Originally posted by ConspiracyNutjob

Surely people don't believe that Seal Team 6 actually killed Bin Laden?

We still do not have a shred of evidence and now we have an 'anonymous' person claiming that he was the one that shot Bin Laden.

More propaganda... zzzzzzzzz....

Really? Then who killed Bin Laden? The Martians? Wake up and smell the coffee so you start thinking straight.

Your logic is so convoluted it isn't even funny. I know this is a conspiracy forum but that doesn't mean you post trash!

He was dead long before they "killed him". It was even all over the news that he had a kidney issue and that they assumed he was now dead. But now a few years later they decided to bring him back and the sheep like usual forgot that he was pretty much declared dead ages ago.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
What was he supposed to get billion dollars for doing his job . Should we build a bronze statue in his image .

I would hardly call him a hero .

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc
I think that was kind of what I said.

Just reread my post - sorry it did sound like I was implying you said something different. My intent was to reinforce your point not argue. Sorry. We both know how this works. It seems he was just either too proud or too impatient or whatever to take the time to ensure his family was taken care of. Either way it was his choice - I really don't feel for him.

It’s not like the Navy left him high and dry as suggested by some.

Yeah, this whole thing is getting the "why are we screwing the veterans" vibe on TV and in the press. I don't get it personally. Just because he was an operator doesn't make him special enough to not follow the rules for retirement that everyone else does.

I did the opposite of him, I chose retirement but to not file a VA claim even though I think I'd get a 70% rating having broken my neck, being shot, and having a lot of retained hardware among the other tropical diseases and whatnot we all have. Mostly I didn’t file because I don’t need the money and my retirement medical covers everything anyway. No need to soak the taxpayers IMO.

Perhaps there was something more to it. We will likely never know.

Sorry for the confusion - I was trying to amplify your observation not counter it.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
BinLaden Killer's Plight Not So Desperate: Report The government does cover 'the Shooter's' health care: 'Stars and Stripes'

If this story were real - which it is not - the so-called 'shooter' AND HIS FAMILY would have been covered for 5 years worth of free VA health care automatically. This applies to all Iraq and Afghanistan combat veterans.

ALSO - according to the fake reports on the shooter he had a series of serious injuries all of which would have made him eligible for generous disability benefits.

PS - take particular note of how this fake story also attempts to denigrate the military and the VA. This is how you know its a fake story - the VA and the Military treats its Vets well - I should know - I am a 100% disabled Vet and my care comes about because of the fairness of the VA.

The story is a load of crap!!!

edit on 12-2-2013 by EequalsMC3 because: repair

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I am amused by those who think people get into combat arms for the money. It's about honor to the good troops,its a measure of yourself,not a way to get rich.
You are seeing the "reward" we get when people start to label us with their own interpretations of their opinions of warriors. Or they saddle us with our leadership's actions.
All of us are a family of sorts,when I say 1st Cav in some small way I do get a little respect.
When I say I was a scout the people who know what it means respect me for that,great men, honorable men.
That is the reward,for a job well done.The best we get.
Every wet cold guard duty in Korea,back straining ruck marches and days of silence on recon patrols,really thankless. I don't need it I have my honor and my family.
I have God too.
He was real close as the artillery rounds exploded near my track is Desert Storm.Nothing any slanderous progressive statement could POSSIBLY say will alter the fact I am alive,and I do appreciate it.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Same thing happened to me, and it happened to all the veterans. When you are released from active duty, you are on your own. At least he has a retirement. Most of us did not. Transition from service is brief. Usually, vets will have a plan on what they will be doing in the civilian world. There are lots of job fairs, too. Most can get the GI bill and go to college. It's about planning ahead. Some of the vets have a problem with transitioning, especially if they were in a combat job, like bomb loader. There are not many jobs for them. However, transitioning to civilian life is something you plan ahead for. You can get your last base of assignment near a college, for example, in many cases. You can begin taking courses at night or on weekends.

A lot of the frustration is finding a career field. Colleges have counselors who will administer aptitude testing to help students find their careers, and suggest economical ways to achieve their goals.

That being said, it is probably a fake story. None of the veterans were coming forth to state they were the actual shooter. The SEAL team agreed that they all were the shooter.
edit on 2/12/2013 by Jim Scott because: More

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
LOL, no one killed Bin Laden, he died of Kidney Failure(2002). Most of the world knows this.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNutjob

Surely people don't believe that Seal Team 6 actually killed Bin Laden?

We still do not have a shred of evidence and now we have an 'anonymous' person claiming that he was the one that shot Bin Laden.

More propaganda... zzzzzzzzz....

That's about right. This story is a load of crap.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
reply to post by newcovenant

We don't want to expand government to baby sit all these guys. He is one of the "takers" you heard Romney complaining about and that Ayn Rand wants to cut lose

how is he a taker???

if ANYTHING, the govt TOOK some of his health, so as far as i am concerned, hes entitled to TAKE some health care and compensation back

Seriously? You cannot see that I am parodying a point of view widely held by conservatives. Don't you remember Romney talking about the 47%? Ask me? >Help the man.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

He only put in 16 though, so he doesn't get a retirement. If he had put in the last three years or so he would have gotten one, but since he didn't hit 20, he doesn't get anything. Same as with any other veteran.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by diqiushiwojia

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by OrionHunterX

We don't want to expand government to baby sit all these guys. He is one of the "takers" you heard Romney complaining about and that Ayn Rand wants to cut lose

He has as much opportunity as the next guy - that is the beauty of our country, anyone can find success. He didn't find his niche yet but surely he can find something he CAN SELL. America is all about the money and until he builds a useless item to be sold at Walmart he can work at Walmarts. He still won't have health care but at least he'll have a job.

The Bin Laden conspiracy aside, if you managed to kill someone who killed zillions of people and may continue to kill more in the future, don't you think you should be thanked somehow?

Yes I do but then I am a Liberal so you are preaching to the choir. The post I wrote is how many conservatives feel and why surprisingly we can't even get aid to our vets. It might be interesting to note the Obama's have worked to take 140,000 of them off the streets who were left homeless and falling through the cracks. You also present a pretty good rational and argument for drone attacks.
edit on 12-2-2013 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Marginalizing them as well.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlindBastards
When pressured to release an actual photo of his corpse when on the ship due to a “lack of respect and it would incite extremist violence” and a threat to national security. Also it was too graphic. What nonsense!

What short memories people here on ATS have.

Remember when Saddam's sons were killed? They released pictures of their bodies and the Middle East went ape because it was disrespect, etc.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Right and plan your future sub-poverty?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Good point. I did not know that there was 25mil reward, seems the crew involved in the capture/kill should have been given at least10% each. Wow, well hope this works out for the guy, sounds like he has greater physical problems then has been looked into yet.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by NavyDoc

Good point. I did not know that there was 25mil reward, seems the crew involved in the capture/kill should have been given at least10% each. Wow, well hope this works out for the guy, sounds like he has greater physical problems then has been looked into yet.

Government employees are not allowed to recieve rewards, even from other countries.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66

I think that was kind of what I said.

Just reread my post - sorry it did sound like I was implying you said something different. My intent was to reinforce your point not argue. Sorry. We both know how this works. It seems he was just either too proud or too impatient or whatever to take the time to ensure his family was taken care of. Either way it was his choice - I really don't feel for him.

It’s not like the Navy left him high and dry as suggested by some.

Yeah, this whole thing is getting the "why are we screwing the veterans" vibe on TV and in the press. I don't get it personally. Just because he was an operator doesn't make him special enough to not follow the rules for retirement that everyone else does.

I did the opposite of him, I chose retirement but to not file a VA claim even though I think I'd get a 70% rating having broken my neck, being shot, and having a lot of retained hardware among the other tropical diseases and whatnot we all have. Mostly I didn’t file because I don’t need the money and my retirement medical covers everything anyway. No need to soak the taxpayers IMO.

Perhaps there was something more to it. We will likely never know.

Sorry for the confusion - I was trying to amplify your observation not counter it.

Thanks, sorry for the confusion.

I don't know why he walked away at 17 years, leaving everything. I know a guy like him: SEAL SNCO, 17 years. When he hit seventeen he was tired both physically and mentally. He was burned out on a high op-tempo and multiple deployments, his body started to show the wear and tear expected (knees going, back going, etc.) He was just done with it. At 17 years, he had 3 left before a full 20. That is a single set of PCS orders.

He got himself a gig as a SNCO instructor at a NROTC unit at a university. It was really a part time job--teach a few classes and teach the mids how to dress and so forth. The rest of the time he could take classes--free since he was considered "faculty." At the end of that tour he had both his retirement and a BS degree.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This is BS... he has 5 years of free health care through the VA because he is an OIF/OEF Vet... I know because I'm one too. He gets no pension because he didn't retire, he got out at 16 years. I got out at 13 years and guess what... I don't get a pension either. I doubt that he is in poverty. SEALs make A LOT of $$$$$, especially in a tax free combat zone. If all of the disabilities he claims he has is verified through the VA he will get a very good disability rating... for example... a 100% disability rating is about $3000 a month for the rest of his life (tax free by the way). All of this is predicated on the idea that one actually believes the Osama story in the first place... I think he died back around 2003 and this whole "Zero Dark Thirty" story is a sham.
edit on 12-2-2013 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join