It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Free Up Space on Hard Drive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Ok folks...I do not have very much knowledge when it comes to computers; I try and I want to learn.

I would like to know ( in an easily explained...point by point explanation) how to free up space on my computer's drive c (the hard drive).

I have tried to find the information on my own...and have been able to erase some temporary files; but not all.

I need help; my c drive is too full!

Somebody ...help...please!!!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

That kind of process is easier completed as a hands-on mission. You need somebody there to look through your files, help you pick out which ones to get rid of, and clear out the most unnecessary clutter. We don't know what you have on there and what you don't, and really, no matter how specific, over-the-internet advice on delting files is never a good idea. Without looking at the drive, we can't tell you much except give you advice on software designed to organize the mess. Try CCleaner. It's free to download and it has a defragging option which will organize what you do have on there.

You may as well ask for advice on cleaning your house. Certain software for certain functions, but we really can't tell you what to throw away or keep without being there. Sorry.
edit on 11-2-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

1. Start
2. Control panel
3. Programs - Uninstall programs
4. Click the uninstall tab to arrange them in order of dates installed so you see the earliest programs.
5. Look for the ones you installed that you no longer use and uninstall them.(Make sure you know what you are uninstalling)

If you have an old computer it might require a new hard drive, the standard now a day for hard drives is around 1Terabyte (1000gigs), programs require more space than they used to.

Tune up Utilities is a nice program or CC cleaner, they both help you clear up space and optimize the computer..

Certain types of files can fill up a hard drive very quickly like Photos or Videos, if you keep too many they will fill the computer up.

How much does your C drive have in total? and how much is being used?

edit on 11-2-2013 by CesarO because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-2-2013 by CesarO because: Photos and Videos take a lot of space.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Deleting things is the most effective way. You'd be surprised at the vast amounts of unused programs that the average hard drive holds. You can click "start", then "control panel", then "add or remove programs". This will bring up a list of programs on your system - though the list may be incomplete or damaged if you've tampered with file structures and placements. Either way, scroll through and remove everything that you don't use or want. Common space hogs to look for are things like AOL preinstalled, virus software that was preinstalled but never activated, and sometimes rather large games that came preinstalled but were never used.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by CesarO

That works too. But half the time, it's not the programs that are taking up the space - unless you're a gamer!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

haha true that!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
Ok folks...I do not have very much knowledge when it comes to computers; I try and I want to learn.

I would like to know ( in an easily explained...point by point explanation) how to free up space on my computer's drive c (the hard drive).

I have tried to find the information on my own...and have been able to erase some temporary files; but not all.

I need help; my c drive is too full!

Somebody ...help...please!!!

Best way is to get an external drive and put all your photos, music, programmes etc everything that you don't need in there and you will be amazed at how much space you will save just by doing that.
I always partition by drive and have about 150 gig spare that I use just for that then when it's nearly full, I transfer the lot to my external drive. Done that for years.
Don't erase any files you don't know because you can make your PC unresponsive in that it will crash and refuse to even start up in some cases.
Ccleaner is a food programme but make sure you untick the one that says cookies or you will loose all your saved passwords for all your forums etc that you may use.
My brother complained to me once that his PC was really slow and after I had finished he was amazed at how much junk had accumulated and glad that it was running like new again after I got rid of them for him. He is a maths professor but hasn't a clue when it came to that for some reason .that was years ago when he preferred books to computers but he has mostly ditched them now.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Assuming you don't want to delete whatever films, music, images, software you may have on your hard drive, a decent bit of kit is 'ccleaner'.

You'd be surprised how much it can free up.

But the problem probably is that your hard drive is too small. In that case buy a second, external ones come cheap these days and can hold a fair amount.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

You have to be careful about just deleting files at random.

There is a free program called CCleaner which safely removes temporary and non-essential files. This can be further improved by CCleaner Enhancer, which is also free software.

If these do not free up enough space, then it may be that a runaway process is filling your hard drive. This generally creates a single enourmous file (usually a .log or .tmp file). To locate these large files, you can download the free program WindowsDirectoryStatistics (WinDirStat). Run it and it will (eventually, it isn't instant) produce a graphical representation of your files. Overly large single files are suspect. Before removing any file, google it to ensure that it isn't a necessary system file.

Hope that helps.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
A (BIG) thank you to everyone who responded.

You all have really helped!...

new topics

top topics

join