It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking - Artificial Earthquake Detected in North Korea

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Believe me I am in no way worried about an attack on the US however the possibility of them directing something against Japan is somewhat of a concern. However unlikely the possibility exists which would pull us into a direct action. I think China is regretting that they ever backed them.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   

AFP's South Korea Bureau Chief Giles Hewitt reports that president-elect Park Geun-hye has strongly condemned the test and says her administration will not tolerate a nuclear-armed North "under any circumstances."
"North Korea's nuclear test is a grave threat to the Korean Peninsula and international peace, hampers inter-Korean trust-building and undermines efforts for peace," Park says.

#ROK says #DPRK also firing short-range missile on same day as #nuclear test.

live.reuters.com...
edit on 12-2-2013 by Zerschmetterling because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

In 2005...U.S. Space Command placed into orbit several new Nuclear Fuel Detection Satellites of which I have been told are capable of locating a few pounds of Radioactive Fuel even if it is encased in a Lead Box.

This is done by some form of detection of the Quantum Vibrationary state of any Radiation shielding container.

We would detect it.

Split Infinity

Good God
Could they detect radiation comig out of zpe device?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I reckon it is all propaganda

proof? anyone?

only media or web source?

and the sheeple are easily led

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Rab...they are still using one of the two basic designs. The one being the Uranium Gun Barrel design which has to be a certain length and width. They do not have Plutonium as far as I know so they are not using a smaller Implosion Design and the Gun Barrel design for Plutonium is impractically long.

Thus...this Fission Bomb can only be so small given the Fuel and other issues they must deal with.

Split Infinity

You've got this all wrong. They never had weapons grade uranium until recently when they started using centrifuges. They started with plutonium from their reactor. I remember Bill Clinton sending aircraft carriers over their plutonium in 1994? I think. He actually got them to agree to dismantle their reactor. Then when it became clear that the US was failing to follow through on agreements, according to North Korea, they rebuilt it. The only design they could have used for the first two nuclear tests was an implosion design. They have stated that this third test was of a miniaturized design with more explosive yield. This coupled with their success of putting something orbit is designed to force the United States into direct negotiations.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

yea, its just a dream. keep telling yourself that. propaganda. nothing more.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Portion of the statement by the Japanese Prime Minister
RT
Full Statement

North Korea conducted the nuclear test despite the repeated call by the international community including Japan to comply fully with the existing United Nations Security Council resolutions (UNSCRs) and not to conduct any further provocation including nuclear tests. This nuclear test by North Korea is totally unacceptable, as it constitutes a grave threat to Japan's security, represents a grave challenge to the international disarmament and non-proliferation regime centered on the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty (NPT) , and seriously undermines the peace and security of Northeast Asia as well as the international community when taken together with its enhancement of its ballistic missile capability which could serve as the means to deliver weapons of mass destruction.

In particular, the nuclear test was conducted while the UNSCR 2087, which was adopted in response to the missile launch which North Korea called a "satellite" on December 12, following the launch in April 2012, clearly expresses its determination to take significant action in the event of a nuclear test. This series of provocations are grave challenge to the authority of the United Nations Security Council.

Does N.K. get it's own hurricane or devastating earthquake now?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Corrected: South Korea defense ministry says North Korea quake indicates nuclear blast of six to seven kilotons, not 10 - official

live.reuters.com...

But still...

The "other internet" says the spread is 4 to 6.5, with the money being on 4.5-5.5 still.

Definitely a fizzle. Not 10 or more, either.

Oh, there's at least some intelligence that you'll get a second one here within a week, depending on if they can figure out what happened this time. They did make moves to set up for two tests.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   

They do not have Plutonium as far as I know so they are not using a smaller Implosion Design and the Gun Barrel design for Plutonium is impractically long.

No, all they HAVE is plutonium. They didn't spin up on uranium separation until about two years ago, and they're still getting the infrastructure in place. They could, I suppose, purchase weapons grade uranium but they don't have it in-house yet.

That's probably why they're getting fizzles - their plutonium is pretty crude and is rife with Pu240.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Yonhap: #ROK intelligence agency believes #DPRK may conduct additional #nuclear test. #Korea

Washington considers the latest nuclear test by North Korea a threat to America’s national security and has threatened “swift and credible action” against Pyongyang. Earlier, the US said preemptive military strike against DPRK is an option.
The US “will also continue to take steps necessary to defend ourselves and our allies,” President Barack Obama said in a statement, adding that Washington will be “vigilant in the face of North Korean provocations and steadfast in our defense commitments to allies in the region.”

this is going to get interesting.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
you do know they stole or have a copy of the W88 don't ya?

A W88 is a Swiss watch. They're still on hourglasses.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad
Of course the satellites can phage.. That's why:

1:44am
US & Japan launching airborne assets to try to detect traces of radioactive gases from #DPRK #nuclear test.

See?

Sarcastic panda power.

Um, sorry. When they say 'airborne' they mean that literally - there's an atmospheric sampler on a plane.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

They do not have Plutonium as far as I know so they are not using a smaller Implosion Design and the Gun Barrel design for Plutonium is impractically long.

No, all they HAVE is plutonium. They didn't spin up on uranium separation until about two years ago, and they're still getting the infrastructure in place. They could, I suppose, purchase weapons grade uranium but they don't have it in-house yet.

That's probably why they're getting fizzles - their plutonium is pretty crude and is rife with Pu240.

Actually you are wrong.

NK has very small amounts of Plutonium and lots of Uranium.

The Fast breeder Reactor at Yongbyon has not yet been completed.....Uranium however is much more abundant and a lot easier for NK to enrich to weapons grade in secret.

And lastly of course NK does have Uranium deposits that it is actively mining.

C...
edit on 12-2-2013 by Cosmic4life because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

Of course the satellites can phage.. That's why:

1:44am
US & Japan launching airborne assets to try to detect traces of radioactive gases from #DPRK #nuclear test.

See?

Sarcastic panda power.

Um, sorry. When they say 'airborne' they mean that literally - there's an atmospheric sampler on a plane.

Read my post a little slower.. I'm sorry but when I say "Sarcastic Panda Power" It means I am kidding.. I was agreeing with phage goofy dude.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood
Does N.K. get it's own hurricane or devastating earthquake now?

Bush introduced them to something much more interesting last time.

Maybe they need another demo.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I know they have the materials to make a bomb, but there is no evidence other than seismic readings that would suggest they have developed a working nuke (afaik)......so my question is, how much conventional explosives packed underground would be needed to create a tremor that large? (for the purpose of fooling the world into believing they have "the bomb").

I'm not suggesting this is what they have done, if it is even possible, just exploring new angles.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

about 12-16 million pounds of TNT.. I'm pretty sure they are actually testing nukes, and have no reason to believe otherwise.
edit on 2/12/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Beware of proclamations by armchair warriors, propagandists ans Dale Brown fans in threads like these.

The world is a dangerous place for sure.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life
Actually you are wrong.

NK has very small amounts of Plutonium and lots of Uranium.

The Fast breeder Reactor at Yongbyon has not yet been completed.....Uranium however is much more abundant and a lot easier for NK to enrich to weapons grade in secret.

And lastly of course NK does have Uranium deposits that it is actively mining.

No, I'm really not. You don't need (nor want) a fast breeder design to make plutonium for weapons use.

They extracted the plutonium that was in the fuel load at Yongbyon research reactor, and got enough for six to seven weapons some years back.

They didn't start their uranium separation work until about 2009, and it's not fully operational.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Read my post a little slower.. I'm sorry but when I say "Sarcastic Panda Power" It means I am kidding.. I was agreeing with phage goofy dude.

My sarcasmometer is offline tonight, sorry.

Wish I was back at the house, I've got a lot more access there than I do here.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join