It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking - Artificial Earthquake Detected in North Korea

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

It makes me fume whenever I hear how much radiation can be detected, and how much they choose to monitor and reveal. When does it translate past not causing panic into a responsible, professional plan of action to combat radioactivity and fallout objectively across the board? Whenever radiation's seen as a sub-element of the nuclear industry, as the primary example, it gets fostered as a watered-down concern, and even dismissed. Anyone accepting the truths of radiation sickness haver to deal with those denying their concerns for decades. We should be shopping with geiger counters now or soon.

Is there such a thing as a "successful nuclear test"? So are we swallowing the evil of it by complying with that term, or is that us being over-tolerant to doublespeak as usual? Every Pacific atoll blasted had its own ecology and life, no news they were relocated before each test - no one in charge thinks to discuss trees, bushes, habitats, worms, ants, birds, or any other form of life being affected by a weapon of pure destruction. It's an ongoing mental illness among our species ...
edit on 12-2-2013 by Northwarden because: what's under those keys?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by spark9576
I guess my question is, how do they know if it's an artificial earthquake?

Depth?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
What do you want for Christmas Kim Jong Un?

I want an official Red Ryder carbine action thermonuclear device with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time!

You'll shoot your eye out, kid. Ho! Ho! Ho!
edit on 12-2-2013 by chrome413 because: spellin'

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by spark9576

That was a test of nuclear bomb, 5-6 kTones...

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by shauny

More likely seismic data. An earthquake has this signature that begins with a slower rise time. A bomb is all at once.

Straight up spike and then slowly tapering off. I could be wrong. The real "poof" will be flying through the fall out (there is always fallout). Even underground tests will leak something to the atmosphere. The specific nuclear "fingerprint" will tell a lot about type of device and yield.

"Constant Phoenix"

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Yes I know. At the time I started this thread, the breaking news was "Artificial Earthquake in North Korea".

Mods - Feel free to change the name of this thread to "North Korea Conducts 3rd Nuclear Test"

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
so where were all the aliens that hang out around all things nuclear and always step in to prevent nuclear things from happening?????

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Dude, its all good. The thread developed over time to now be realized to be a nuke. Still not 100% proven though. I wish I was as quick as you guys in finding stuff. I'm always late to the party. Thanks for bringing it.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by blackangel13

Non interference protocols? Must be, because they haven't stopped thousands of tests worldwide and even a couple of "show stoppers" in Japan. Let alone hundreds of millions killed in war, disease, famine, etc.

They are there though, monitoring...

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
so seems like the US knew about this in advance? how very kind of NK to tell them.

Reuters: North Korea advised U.S. in advance of its intention to conduct nuclear test, U.S. State Department spokeswoman says

live.reuters.com...
edit on 12-2-2013 by rayuki because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I just happened to be checking out the Yonhap news website before I went to bed and saw it as breaking news.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
Actually Nef if we didn't nuke Japan we'd all be speaking German or Japense...

That includes England by the way,

But I degress,

-SAP-

I'm sorry. You live on a different planet to me obviously.

The nukes in Japan were set off after VE day in Europe when the Germans surrendered, and the Japanese had no ability to wage war beyond their own shores when both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed.

What on earth do they teach you guys over there?

edit on 12/2/13 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

So wrong on many levels ...

Actually Nef if we didn't nuke Japan we'd all be speaking German or Japense... That includes England by the way, But I degress, -SAP-

Britain defeated the Luftwaffe and caused the cancellation of Operation Sea Lion on it's own thank you very much.

...and as above...what Nef said.

C...

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
DPRK will say the test was done at 2km deep, a 12kt Hydrogen bomb was tested and will test an other shortly, just seeing if my cb is working. well here is msm latest worldnews.nbcnews.com... yes it was 5.1 eq, yes it was test of a nuke,China not happy. Japan from the link

Japan launched several planes to test for nuclear particles in the air, Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera said. He described the test as a "major provocation not only towards the safety of our country but also against the international community."
well that is something, better than going to war mode.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

They taught us that a mainland invasion of Japan would have cost over 1 million allied lives and more in Japanese civilians.

The mainland invasion of Japan would have dragged on for years more and would have been nothing but a war of attrition.

The famous banzai charges on the island campagins, and kamaki's attacks on Us naval ships. People don't want to admit it the nuking of Hiroshima and Nagaski save more lives than they took.

Both American and Japanese, and British, and Australian.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Good. I had to wonder given the post I replied to

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The north is just jealous of the gangnam style, relaaax

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
DPRK will say the test was done at 2km deep, a 12kt Hydrogen bomb was tested and will test an other shortly, just seeing if my cb is working.

Like I said last night: "Oh, there's at least some intelligence that you'll get a second one here within a week, depending on if they can figure out what happened this time. They did make moves to set up for two tests."

There are pretty pictures of two test shots being prepared. Maybe but not definitely a surface shot, too. This was known about three weeks back, which might explain the NK's saying we knew. Well, we did, to be honest.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragnik

That was a test of nuclear bomb, 5-6 kTones...

Hahahaha Nukes are funny man..

But no What is up with this thread?

This post Shows everyone why it was a Nuke and How they know.
Notice how the graph doesn't ramp up in power, but starts off with a bang literally.. See graph.

Now in This post Here we see that the 7 kiloton yield was based on a 4.8 quake, not the updated (USGS) number of a 5.1 quake..
Turns out this could have been a 10 kiloton yield, which is a lot closer to their target power.

I don't find the humor here, whatever the truth is.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

just think if this was a 12kt nuke test would the next one be a 20+ nuke test? here is a link that gives some info on what a 12 to 21 kt bomb can do www.nukefix.org... from the link

The size of weapons: The one megaton size weapon is no longer widely used. Most of the literature that focuses on one megaton weapons is dated and of limited use for assessing blast damage. It was principally in the late 1950 and 1960s when megaton weapons were in vogue in the U.S. and comprised the bulk of its strategic nuclear weapons. The trend has been to move away from weapons in the megaton range. This trend is not a consequence of nations becoming choir boys. It is because they can produce more effective destruction with weapons in the 100 Kt to 550 Kt range [greater destruction per unit of weight].

The overwhelming majority of nuclear weapons in all nuclear weapon nations are less than one megaton [China comes the closest to being an exception to this rule with roughly 73% of its weapons reportedly being 300 Kt or less, and the remaining 77 of its weapons perhaps being 3.3 megatons or greater].

For comparison, note that the Hiroshima bomb was 12.5 to 15 Kt in size. The Nagasaki bomb was approximately 21 Kt. The U.S. weapons now fall principally within the 100 Kt to 375 Kt range, the average being approximately 250 Kt. And the majority of Russia weapons are 550 Kt; the average size is roughly 400 Kt.
if DPRK produces a 21 kt bomb they can still be a treat to Japan or South Korea, we will think noting of a 21kt bomb, we are more concerned with 100kt to1 Meg bombs, when will learn a nuke is a nuke no matter what the size is. what would a 21kt do to Hawaii? or Sole South Korea, or Tokyo Japan?

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join