It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking - Artificial Earthquake Detected in North Korea

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
this is not good, proliferation of nuclear weapons, no matter the country,
no matter the reason, is simply suicidal, so this is not good, if one single
nuclear device is added to this world, it is not good. i think we should have
a stockpile locked out for alien invasions or something insane like that
but it should only be allowed by all global governments 3/4 majority vote.

there can never ever be a convincing argument as to why we would
need weapons so power they can obliterate the entire human race
about 6 times over within a few hours, the world will never be safe
until no one has access to this type of weapon unless it is out of a need to
defend the human race against something no normal weapon could
even touch, asteroid, aliens, something along those lines.

the world is scary enough knowing we could all as a race, no, as a planet
be gone within the blink of an eye, why anyone would feel otherwise
just confuses me, you would have to be genosuicidal.
edit on 12-2-2013 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by imagineering

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by imagineering

Lol, Propaganda? N. Korea is a state where people starve so their military can thrive...

No propaganda there sorry.

-SAP-

I guarantee that there are more starving here in the USA, and yet our military has the largest defense budget in the world. Your reasoning is bias, the USA has allot more of an oppresive reputation the NK. Ask yourself why is NK starving? Sanctions? By whom?

Pull your head out.
edit on 12-2-2013 by imagineering because: spell check

Lol true won't argue that.

However you tell me to "pull your head out" N. Korea has a military first policy....So yeah....Does America? Openly, no. N. Korea does. The Kim's would rather have a shi**y military then feed their own.

Yeah America has starving people but name one country that doesn't?

Right there isn't one.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm
Gotta hand it to the North Koreans....

They mean what they say and say what they mean.

Kim Jong Un said a test was coming and here it is.

Yes, North Korea set off a nuke on the day Obama is giving a State of the Union
address! I guess now would be a good time to change the speech!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TauCetixeta

Spot on. Star.

Still he'll go on and on about the middle-east and the stupid Muslim extreamists. (Watch this get pulled)

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
After doing a bit of research, I finally found some information linking nuclear blast sizes with earthquake magnitudes. Although this will change depending on whether the NK's tested the bomb above or below ground. Common sense dictates below ground, but common sense doesn't seem to be their thing imo. Anyway, the yield for the atomic bomb, if this is what caused the quake, was probably around the same size of the Hiroshima bomb dropped during WWII, somewhere between 15 and 20 kt.

The TNT equivalent is enormous, but is it possible that NK has been doing these "tests" for show, while actually just burying a crapload of conventional explosives? It would take a lot, but I could see a country like NK doing something like that. I say this because in the past they have been all talk and show, but perhaps with the new leader they really want to escalate things dramatically.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by spark9576

its a nuke...

makes me wonder if it was an attempt to stop the string of major quakes recently

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Spot on. Star.

Still he'll go on and on about the middle-east and the stupid Muslim extreamists. (Watch this get pulled)

-SAP-

No, according to Charles Krauthammer the plan was to trash the Republicans for about an hour
because of the sequester is kicking in with across the board cuts.
Blame the Republicans even though the " sequester " idea originated at the White House.

Now that the nuclear bomb has gone off we may see a Plan B.
edit on 12-2-2013 by TauCetixeta because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Believe me I am in no way worried about an attack on the US however the possibility of them directing something against Japan is somewhat of a concern. However unlikely the possibility exists which would pull us into a direct action.

No country can overpower the US directly. Some number of countries could, like a pack of wolves on a foggy day.

Then the UN, or who ever has trillions of dollars of property still at risk, would occupy us to save us, or the world or whatever.

Globalization.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Of course, blame us. It's easy that way, Yet fuc*head hasn't done one thing he said he would do.

*shrug* Good ol' USA

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Rab...they are still using one of the two basic designs. The one being the Uranium Gun Barrel design which has to be a certain length and width. They do not have Plutonium as far as I know so they are not using a smaller Implosion Design and the Gun Barrel design for Plutonium is impractically long.

Thus...this Fission Bomb can only be so small given the Fuel and other issues they must deal with.

Split Infinity

On one hand, I'd note the reports that started prior to your post on this that they are not, in fact, using old designs this time around. Maybe they are and maybe not.... That's the whole problem with North Korea. It is, by a wide margin, the MOST closed society left on our Planet. In the CIA's PEAK GLORY I wouldn't have given them much for hope of getting intelligence assets inside the DPRK who lived long enough to matter or be helpful. It's hardly their peak at this point and I think they're using poor guesswork more than anything else.

As for the tech? I tend to agree with you for what the world has seen. However, history is absolutely packed with the ruins of defeated people's and nations who ASSUMED an enemy was far weaker than they turned out to be. In fact, that knowledge sometimes comes with such a painful impact, wars have ended before they started in the process of learning it.

Are we being suckered? I don't know and no one else can possibly say with certainty either. The LAST time the CIA made a guess about North Korean intentions or level of ability they were so wrong they should have fired people over it. Recall? A couple weeks before the North invaded the South and started the Korean War, the CIA confidently reported that North Korea was in no position to invade and had no intentions of violent expansion into the south. Nothing to see here...move on ......and then a war broke out they said couldn't happen.

^^ For that and many reasons, I take reports of North Korea not working with other nations ...and having almost primitively limited technology with a truckload of salt, as a mere grain would never do on this.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I know they have the materials to make a bomb, but there is no evidence other than seismic readings that would suggest they have developed a working nuke (afaik)......so my question is, how much conventional explosives packed underground would be needed to create a tremor that large? (for the purpose of fooling the world into believing they have "the bomb").

I'm not suggesting this is what they have done, if it is even possible, just exploring new angles.

I wondered that too. The kilo mega ton scale is tons of TNT. There are more powerful explosives and when tamped or contained they generate even higher pressures.

A regular highway semi truck can carry 40 tons. So at a large truck stop there could be enough exlosives to detonate in the kilo ton range.

And the DPRK could do alot of tweeking since they had all the time in the world to set it up.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Semicollegiate

No country needs to overpower another these days. By sitting at a computer somewhere and some clever hacking (wouldn't have a clue myself!) you can collapse their infrastructure leading to societal breakdown.

Which is really why they want to Police the internet.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I'm hesitant to latch onto nuclear war theories because the TOMD is so incredibly...powerful in influence that it has kept thousands of nuclear weapons across the world...as nothing more than paper weights. Admist the world tensions and previous conflicts of those times nukes weren't used...

nuclear weapon use this day in age is not only suicide for the country that uses them (which defeats any point/progress they were ever trying to make) but for most of the world.

The only nuclear attack I can see being plausible this day in age is the boogie-man (terrorist) attack that has no flag or borders...and thus no nuclear counter-attack.

One has to really think deeply and question the fact no nuclear weapons have been used since the US used them...over 50 years ago...with all the opportunities and nukes out there...no one has ever DARED...and no nukes have ever "slipped" into the hands of boogie men...and if they had slipped into their hands...even the boogie man still hasn't DARED to use them...

IF the world and other nations were really as chaotic, psychotic, and suicidal as our media and officials make them out to be...we should be 10 nuclear wars deep by now...

I think 50 years of restraint has shown that the use of nuclear weapons (if ever) won't be a shot from the hip willy-nilly style in a fit of rage...but more so a well calculated and strategic sniper shot that has been planned for decades.

Of course those in control of the world will make it look like a chaotic shot from the hip from "rogue" suicidal terrorists...because this perception reinforces the perspective that no one has control over the world. And If you don't want anyone to know whose behind the wheel...you make it look like no one is there at all.

im just speculating though =)

edit on 12-2-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Okay Nef I'll humor you.

USA: Used a nuke to ensure victory.

USSR: Tested a nuke to show that they had a nuclear weapon

Britain: Got the nukes from USA.

France: ----- Have no knowledge of their nuclear program.

India: Protection

Isreal: Protection

S. Africa: Protection, of course a British colony, they have no fears

Pakistan: They have them because AMERICANS PAID FOR THEM, also they are afraid of India.

That enough for 'ya Nef?

-SAP-

Actually, its more like this

USA - First use designed to prevent an invasion of Japan with a show of power. 2nd use, weapons test.

Actually Nef if we didn't nuke Japan we'd all be speaking German or Japense...

That includes England by the way,

But I degress,

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to post by bekod

Think about this...let's just say for ha ha's that the North was able and does launch an ICBM at the main land U.S.

How far do you think this thing will get before being shot down?

The U.S. Navy destroyed a specific area of a failing U.S. Satellite...the Hydrazine Tank at orbital distance going between 14,000 and 16,000 miles per hour. It was a direct hit.

Split Infinity

yes that was very impressive and from a ship moving up and down on ocean waves!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

What? Why would be speaking German?

Japan was bombed AFTER Germany had surrendered. The atomic bomb had no effect on Germany one way or the other.

Japan was on the retreat and being forced back on all fronts (War in the Pacific). High Command was highly worried by the fanaticism of Japanese soldiers in defending their island territories (Guadalcanal, etc), basically fighting to the last man. The thinking was that the cost in lives for an invasion of Japan would therefore be astronomical, so they needed to send a message that further conflict was futile.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Simple actually. So because Hitler quit that means there would have been no other Nazi's? I'm sure one of those Nazi's would have roze up and took his place.

Japan would have beat America, Nazi's would have invaded America and it would have been split.

Still we'd all be speaking something other than English if America had'nt done what they did...

Fight a bully, eventually you'll win. Bullies don't like fighting, they like the easy way. America had to do what they had to do. People can hate all they want but whats done is done.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

The difference with NK is that they are still technically at war with SK.

NK have stated their goal to re-unite Korea....

NK already has one of the largest standing Armies in the world ...

This is about to go hot anyway..so it's going to be a moot point.

C...

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

No country needs to overpower another these days.

Conquest has an effect all its own. Conquest offers an additional control on the way things are.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

What hate? Merely correcting historical accuracy.

By the time the bomb was dropped, Japan was on its own. Do people not study History anymore?

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join