It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the CIA EVER fund bin laden?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Thay is the question i am asking now, after reading an article recently published on
YAHOO.com (all trademarks...yadayada)

In the article linked below, writen by one Robert Farley(as noted at the end of the article) and titled...
"Rand Paul's bin laden claim is urban myth" we can read a very convincing
piece attempting to prove just that

I naturally question the evidence for several reasons, the first being that i had always made that assumption, and while i can not recall where or when i came to that conclusion i do alot of reading and thought i had picked it up somwhere along the way.

Another reason is because of my dislike for such goverment organizations that conduct thier work in secret without accountability. Surely they make thier works based on lies and deciet.

The last reason i question this news is the nature and the source. The majority of the information seems as it eas taken from old transcripts and quotes from the very people work within those agencies that lie and deceive without accountability.

Ill add for you these portions for reference alone as i anticipate you will read the article before commenting here.

Firstly there are several times within the article that make such claims as...

The CIA official in charge of the U.S. covert operation in support of the Afghan fighters during the late 1980s told us Paul is perpetuating an “urban myth.” The CIA website states unequivocally “that the CIA never employed, paid, or maintained any relationship whatsoever with bin Laden.”

Or these interesting conflicting details where...

For example, Peter Bergen, a national security analyst for CNN who interviewed bin Laden in 1997, told us, “There is no evidence that the CIA funded or armed bin Laden or even knew who he was until 1993.”

and then later in the article the information is added about...

a snippet from the testimony of Cofer Black , director of the CIA’s Counterterrorism Center from 1999 through May 2002, to Congress’ inquiry into the 9/11 attacks:

Black, Sept. 26, 2002: We knew of Bin Ladin since his early days in Afghanistan. We had no relationship with him but we watched a 22 year old rich kid from a prominent Saudi family, change from frontline mujahedin fighter to a financier for road construction and hospitals. Then we watched him found something we learned was called al Qa’ida.

So which is it? I am still questioning things here....
Did they know of him or not?
Did the fund him as a proxy just like hussein and others before him from around the world?
I would like to know...so,
If anyone reading this can supply any evidence to contradict this article i would be greatly appreciative.

And to add, this is NOT intended to be defence for bin laden

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
My honest beleif is that it may not have been the CIA but our government certainly had thier hand in
pot. I dont have any evidence but thats the way the like it...no wonder America has so many enemies...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
It's "revisionist history" George Orwell style.

All I'll say is those things which were written on the subject prior to, on and for short while after 911 on this site ( www.cia.gov... ) were WIPED and everything was remade with the
"new history".

Things that were open and freely known - no longer exist.

When certain people answered those very question(s) and linked to the aforementioned website's SPECIFIC entry on the subject for definitive proof, not long after - the Proofs *poofed*.
edit on 11/2/2013 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RadicalRebel

Afghanistan, 1979-1992: America’s Jihad

This should put into context the horrors of the American Empires intervention into that nation.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

While i appreciate the link it isnt what im looking for.
I am well aware of thr deeds there and elsewhere in the world but what i seek is ANY evidence that the US government ever gave bin laden money

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
well, if he's a rich guy fighting the russians, isn't the question, "did the CIA ever sell bin laden weapons or training ?"

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Well look its pretty simple

Some guy in a suit with IM A SPY in sparkling sequins is not going to hand someone Bin Laden a cheque for billions of dollars, shake hands then grab some pics of the event label them Me and Beardy Kickin it Afghan Style and upload them to facebook for his mates to see. Only to be embarrassingly exposed in the newspapers the next day.

Its just not going to happen.

What the can do however is give billions of dollars to the Afghanistan regime and the Pakistani ISI to then use that money to buy weapons back from America with a list of all there bestest and most closest fanatics America can then lend a hand to in the field.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
There won't be a way to follow the money trail. It may have been through a corporation also and still untracable. The people at the top of these organizations are very intelligent, they do not make many mistakes. When something shows up and gets blown out of proportion, it's wise to look at what is happening elsewhere. Remember that shifting our focus is a very good tactic, the few that are aware can easily be denied.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
right from the horses mouth (pun intended):

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
It's probably not productive to seek concrete evidence that the CIA ever funded bin Laden through the traditional means, like documents, FOIA requests, etc. The CIA will never, so long as it exists, incriminate itself in something that could lend to dissolution of the agency (which probably ought to happen). There will be no documents left that would do this. That's how they work.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Maybe not directly but most certainly thru the Pakistan equivalent of the CIA. Operation Cyclone is how the funding for the mujahideen was funneled to the group by the CIA. Remember that Bin Laden was already a very wealthy man himself and was one reason why he was able to rise to the top of the mujahideen. How much of the link below is factual or is someones political rhetoric I am not sure but I always thought it was well know the American government supported the same group that would later become Al Quadia.

rense.com...

Here is an undergraduate paper on Operation Cyclone which should open many doors to your own research. The above link is too connected to junk but can also supply a few doors to walk thru.
edit on 2/11/2013 by DJMSN because: additional link

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

If you're going to find any solid clues, this would be the place to start looking.

To narrow it down, know that Al Qaeda translates as "The Database" and work from there.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

BBC news article: "...Bin Laden left Saudi Arabia in 1979 to fight against the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. The Afghan jihad was backed with American dollars and had the blessing of the governments of Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. He received security training from the CIA itself."

Who is Osama Bin Laden?

Forbes business information service article: "...[Osama bin Laden] received military and financial assistance from the intelligence services of Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and the United States."

Who Is Osama Bin Laden?

ABC News article: "In the 1980s, bin Laden left his comfortable Saudi home for Afghanistan to participate in the Afghan jihad, or holy war, against the invading forces of the Soviet Union - a cause that, ironically, the United States funded, pouring $3 billion into the Afghan resistance via the CIA."

Link the ABC story has been 404'd

Probably expect the rest of it to be removed from the internet aswel.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

100% correct.

Line 2

PS - You might also want to look up why Laden HATED Sodamn Insane - the decapitated head of Iraq. (gnarly pun there.

edit on 11/2/2013 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
well, if he's a rich guy fighting the russians, isn't the question, "did the CIA ever sell bin laden weapons or training ?"

The answer to this would be no. The US sent its aid through Pakistan who was suppose to use for anti Soviet units they trusted. Of course aid was also coming from other Western nations, Arab states and China. Bin Laden was not fighting to Soviets his job was providing aid and arms from other Islamic sources. So no he would not have gotten aid from the US as he was also provinding aid to the mujahideen himself.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

Man...that bbc article is juicy. While it doesnt say we paid him in so many words it certainly contradicts the point of the article i linked...TY, hoping to find more like it.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

The answer to this would be no. The US sent its aid through Pakistan who was suppose to use for anti Soviet units they trusted. Of course aid was also coming from other Western nations, Arab states and China. Bin Laden was not fighting to Soviets his job was providing aid and arms from other Islamic sources. So no he would not have gotten aid from the US as he was also provinding aid to the mujahideen himself.

You are muddying the waters intentionally. Bin Laden was actively involved in the Afghan resistance to the soviet union. You have the secretary of state on video admitting that the U.S funded the Afghani mujahideen and provided them with weapons, training, and logistics.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

thanks very informative !! (don't forget to keep the flamethrower handy
)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam

Yes that would be a good place to look...unfortunaty i am trying to hold off being labeled a terrorist as long as i can

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
right from the horses mouth (pun intended):

HaHaaa

"trained...people...who were fanatical"

She choose her words very carefully didnt she

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join