Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Dogs understand human perspective, say researchers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Funny how the scientists were surprised with the results of the study, yet none of the dog parents are.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Haha like others have said this is actually old news. We humans sure like to think we are the "only" who know whats going on around us.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I have to agree with this.

When my step brother got his lab puppy Harley, he was and still is a smart dog. Sometimes he would lay in bed with my dad and step mom, and me as well. He also likes to watch TV and listens very well, especially when you take him out for walks.

My dad swears that he's the reincarnation of my grandma, because he is so nice and patient, and they were practically born on the same day.

I also saw this in my dog Rudy when he was alive. He was always taught to never go on furniture from when he was a pup, but then when we moved to a duplex after my parents got divorced, he started sleeping on my bed and the couches. Sometimes he would have a smirk on his face and wag his tailtip when you caught him, and he would slink off.

Here's a picture of my fat baby 2 years before his passing.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
dogs are clever little buggers and use our own concern for them against us!

My little munchkin tricked me one day and I was frankly amazed at the cognitive processes involved.

I was upstairs doing some work on my computer, eating a little cupcake. She was fast asleep on her beanbag, and she didnt know (or so i thought) I had the cake.

I yawned, and she woke up and did the little "i need a pee" dance, so i walked downstairs with her running in front, went into the kitchen and opened the back door. She immediately ran upstairs and ate the rest of my cupcake and went back to sleep on her beanbag!

It melted my heart, and how could anyone be cross at that LOL

edit:

dont know about anyone elses dog, but my leeloo has a real sweet tooth for cake and made herself really poorly once, requiring a 2 day stay at the vets when she managed to open a kitchen drawer and eat a whole pack of human-chocolate muffins.
edit on 11-2-2013 by siliconpsychosis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gu1tarJohn
Funny how the scientists were surprised with the results of the study, yet none of the dog parents are.

i hate the terminology of being "mummy" or "daddy" to a dog.

My dog is my bestest friend, and frankly I love her more than some people LOL

She is more my "other woman" (and not in a weird way) LOL

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I've lived most of my life with dogs. My mom is blind and has always had a seeing eye dog. Labrador retrievers always. They are in my opinion way smarter than people give them credit for. Truly like family members to me.
for the thread.

[edit] Here's recently deceased Coco. She lived to 15 years which is quite good for labs.
edit on 11/2/2013 by PsykoOps because: add

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
I've lived most of my life with dogs. My mom is blind and has always had a seeing eye dog. Labrador retrievers always. They are in my opinion way smarter than people give them credit for. Truly like family members to me.
for the thread.

[edit] Here's recently deceased Coco. She lived to 15 years which is quite good for labs.
edit on 11/2/2013 by PsykoOps because: add

awwww, such a pretty girl!

I dont even want to think about "when the time comes" my rascal is only 2

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Can't live without em. Nothing like a dog at your side. They are more attuned to their senses, they are stronger, quicker and even sense spiritual activity before we do. Or confirm it.

The only thing they lack is opposable thumbs.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
My 2 little Italian greyhounds have me figured out. I wouldn't part with them for anything. They certainly know more than people realize. One of my dogs was originally my son's. He moved away and left her with my wife and I.

She mourned for him for 2 months. But eventually learned we were her humans now. So my son moves back and thinks his dog will be his again. She does not agree. She actually splits her time with him and us. She will alternate sleeping with him or us. But we can tell she knows he will leave again and sticks with me even when he calls her.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RAY1990Nice dogs
Almost got licked to death by greyhounds before

They're Lurchers actually.....Very refined Lurchers I'll admit; at least three generations Lurcher to Lurcher, all with Saluki, Greyhound or Whippet blood.

Sorry for the correction, but I'm dead proud of 'em and I think the type should receive more recognition.....Even if they are lowly crossbreeds.
edit on 11-2-2013 by squarehead666 because: S&P/Content

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

Dogs do better on ales, too. You don't want to give a dog a hoppy beer like an IPA. For some reason, hops screw with a dog's ability to regulate body temperature. If they get their mouths on cooked hops, they can die right away. And for whatever reason, hops attract them - you've got to be really careful disposing of spent hops after a brewing session or the little #s will get in the trash after them.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by RAY1990

I have a greyhound- wow are they special. He used to run at Wimbledon in London, now when he goes for his walks he HAS to run at least once a day. Is that a magnificant sight - people that see it are just in awe. He runs in circles - lucky I have lots of countryside near me.
he is a clever cuddly boy too... he loves stealing food

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by nomnom
She has music preferences as well.

One of my dogs taught himself to spot end credit music on movies and TV shows.

I am not sure how he does it. If you let the end credit music play on a show, he'll jump down from the chair and want out, or a treat, or play time. He knows the program's over and you have a minute.

I don't know what he uses as a discriminator, or if he's just memorized the music for the shows we watch. But if you're watching a DVD and let the end credits roll, he's off the chair in a blink. For some programs, he can spot it in the first few phrases. Others, where the start and end credit music is similar, he seems to take a second longer. I thought he was watching for the end credits for a while but it's the music. He can, for example, distinguish between the start and end credit music for Stargate SG1 and Atlantis in no more than three bars. And the in-program music never confuses him.

And he bows up to the MGM lion almost every time.

It's also odd what movie dogs my dogs respond to. For a lot of them, it's like nothing's going on. But sometimes, you'll hear a background bark that's not part of the on-scene action, and all my dogs will start chuffing and yapping, and if you wait a bit and replay that, they'll react again. But a few minutes later, another dog will bark about the same, nothing. Obviously, something upsetting's being conveyed by one bark and not by the other, although I can't really tell much difference.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

I can set a trashbag down in the kitchen that is full of food and my dog will not touch it. She will not touch it even if I am in the other room, or if I am outside.

However if she hears me drive away or if she knows I am asleep she goes to town. Animals are not stupid.

My dog plopped next to me on the couch while I was doign my home work yesterday. he grabbed one of my pens sittin next to me and propped it in his paws to chew on it. Just as he was about to bite into it I stopped what I was doing and gave him a look. He then slowly put the pen down the went off to find his chew toy.

The funny thing is that I have never told him not to chew a pen or pencil . He does know that he is only allowed to play with things I give to him.

Animals understand quite a bit.

Wonder how many millions they spent to figure out something people have figured out on their own just by livign with a dog.
edit on 11-2-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Mine recognise the tones as Windows shuts down.....It means bedtime!

I've watched my male Lurcher take the puppy out, show her where to pee & pooh, get a toy and play with her as a reward (just like I did with him) and then trot back into the house looking visibly satisfied at a job well done.

In fact ALL dogs, from my perspective at least, consistently display levels of awareness and intelligence that are significantly beyond what conventional theories would have us expect.

I spend an awful lot of time around dogs, regularly walking packs of up to thirteen dogs of assorted breeds and I've become quite convinced that they are at least as 'aware' as we are. I've seen them display compassion, foreboding, generosity, humour and a whole range of other emotional responses that they aren't 'supposed' to have.....Judging by other posts in this thread (and the evidence in the BBC video I linked to) I'm far from alone in this belief.
edit on 11-2-2013 by squarehead666 because: clarity

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
My cat is the same way

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
scientists are stupid... or really smart.

i read a few years ago, they got funding and did a study into whether or not dogs dream.. the result?

yes.. yes they do.

i wish i could get a grant to research something stupid like that.

so either they really dont know these things, or they know.. and they just want easy income!!!

i have a german short haired pointer. she is my second pointer in life.
before that i have had many dogs, i was born and brought home to grow up with a litter of puppies mums breeding bitch had.
i have a way with dogs, and they have a way with me.

i would always bring strange dogs home, they would just follow me (:

anyone who thinks dogs dont see things from your persepctive are silly. they CAN plot, as others here have attested.
they can be sneaky, and cheeky, and i wouldnt want it any other way.

lying on a couch with a dog snoring with its head on your chest is the best feeling in life. until they drool in their sleep... or snore louder than you!!

PUPPIES FOREVER!
down with cats!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Not really understanding the resentment for scientists. We can't just take peoples perceptions as facts, there has to be scientific research to prove it, no matter how obvious you might think it is.

Lots of things are "obvious" that turn out be complete crap when tested scientifically.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I don't know why this comes as any kind of surprise.

Even cockroaches know it's safer in the dark.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
While I agree that the anti-science tone isn't helpful, I'd love you to show me how you scientifically measure emotions.....What's the standard unit of measurement for compassion or humour?

Originally posted by MagicWand67
I don't know why this comes as any kind of surprise.

Even cockroaches know it's safer in the dark.

You didn't watch the BBC video I linked to did you?
edit on 11-2-2013 by squarehead666 because: S&P/Content

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join