It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 7 Types of Gear you MUST have in your B.O.B.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

It is hard to do it on your own, even harder with chidren. Unless you prepare your children for hardship, I would think many families will be going through devastated loss of some of their children If SHTF.

Also, Maps are important. The memorising of different ways to get to one destination, is a must. I have taught my children just that. A place to link up, if separated.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Well, if you ain't gonna eat that, can I have it? I've eaten some ungodly things. You'd be amazed what you'll eat when it comes right down to eating or dying.

No I am well aware that in a true survival situtation we will not have the luxury of what to eat. Just said I don't like to eat that.

I don't think the legality of hunting with suppressors will much enter my thought process in a survival situation. Laws get a mite fuzzy at that point. Still, I've used suppressors before, and don't much relish the idea of giving my position away in that sort of scenario. I know what they sound like, and how far they can carry. The best one I ever used was integral into a .22 rifle. It did a great job for the shot, but you could still hear the bolt clacking back and forth, and even that will draw attention. Most of them only reduce the noise, so what you get is a quiet gunshot, but a gunshot all the same. That's gonna draw attention.

Aw come on suppressor performance depends on design, and ammo used, and gas system being turned on.

In the matter of wildlife, my situation is different than yours. I DO have bears here. Yes, I know how to kill 'em without a gun if I need to. Guns make it easier - until the whole neighborhood comes to investigate the party.

True but they can and do often migrate to other areas.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Added this recently to my bag/kit. Nice thing about it is it's made right here near where I live and guaranteed for life even when I pass it on to the boys as it warentee transfers. Plus I helped a family member out by making a sale!!!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Familiar style but a tad bit too bright for my taste though.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

No doubt more of a gerber lmf or kabar kind of guy myself.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
That's a great knife but what if you lose it?

Could you make one of these?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

What would be your advice for a middle-aged granny who is used
to wearing skirts and dresses?I haven't worn slacks or jeans for a
long time.All of my socks are cotton and I always wear tights in the
winter under my skirts.
I just recently went through my bob and it was a joke.I had a lot of useful
things packed,but in several boxes and bags.I have been planning
to meet my relatives at a camp and packed according to a group
type situation,not an individual bag for myself.
What would be the best type of clothing for a woman to wear? Why
not jeans?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

5.11 and under armor

Both are quality wear made to stand up to tough conditions.
edit on 11-2-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

It is hard to do it on your own, even harder with chidren. Unless you prepare your children for hardship, I would think many families will be going through devastated loss of some of their children If SHTF.

Yup, I think so. Most children have never had to be REALLY quiet. My kids were always prepared for hardship, because, well, I'm their dad - and I ain't all that easy to get along with. Power went out once during a snowstorm, and they just thought it was funny as hell that I'd have to go without coffee because there wasn't any electricity. They rethought that when they caught me outside with a canteen cup and a bar of trioxane... making my coffee.
That clued them in to two things: 1) where there is a will, there is a way, and 2) they wanted to learn how to make those ways happen. Their education went from there.

Also, Maps are important. The memorising of different ways to get to one destination, is a must. I have taught my children just that. A place to link up, if separated.

Maps are VERY important. Not just for getting around, but for planning defenses and whatnot. Different ways in and out (not just paths, but transportation means too) are also a must. I generally plan for at least 3 of both. That way, when one doesn't work for one reason or another, you know just what to move on to next, and don't have to waste time sitting around and figuring it out.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Aw come on suppressor performance depends on design, and ammo used, and gas system being turned on.

Ideally, you'll have one made for the CIA, mounted to a weapon that doesn't cycle. Most folks don't have access to the CIA suppressors, and have to settle for something less. If you "turn off the gas system" - and most weapons don't give that as an option - then you'd better make one shot do. On top of that, caliber matters - bigger bullets take more powder and make more noise. That's why the most successful suppressors are found on .22's. That's a catch - 22 (no pun intended). It shoots more quietly, but you generally have to shoot more times.

Everything in life is a trade-off, I reckon.

In the matter of wildlife, my situation is different than yours. I DO have bears here. Yes, I know how to kill 'em without a gun if I need to. Guns make it easier - until the whole neighborhood comes to investigate the party.

True but they can and do often migrate to other areas.

No doubt. I lived in Greensboro, NC for a number of years. Just a couple of months after I moved there, we had a bear, yes, a BEAR, running around on the city streets. Made quite a commotion at the time, and it's happened 2 or 3 times since then.

Just can't fence 'em in right, I guess!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Yeah, it's bright, but I bet Green Fuzz won't grow on the handle like it did on the leather handle of MY K-Bar!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Damn Slayer ! All that for a bug ?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by mamabeth

5.11 and under armor

Both are quality wear made to stand up to tough conditions.

Yeah - and I'll add the idea of replacing the tights with Poly-Pros. I'm really not sure what the problem with jeans is from a technical perspective, but I tend to pack cammie BDU's. They give more freedom of movement than jeans, among other things, and are tougher for rough use than skirts - erm, I mean KILTS! Yeah, KILTS!

edit on 2013/2/11 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Ideally, you'll have one made for the CIA, mounted to a weapon that doesn't cycle. Most folks don't have access to the CIA suppressors, and have to settle for something less. If you "turn off the gas system" - and most weapons don't give that as an option - then you'd better make one shot do. On top of that, caliber matters - bigger bullets take more powder and make more noise. That's why the most successful suppressors are found on .22's. That's a catch - 22 (no pun intended). It shoots more quietly, but you generally have to shoot more times. Everything in life is a trade-off, I reckon.

All true which is why they made subsonic ammo for us.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

It's one hell of a Bug too!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Yeah - and I'll add the idea of replacing the tights with Poly-Pros. I'm really not sure what the problem with jeans is from a technical perspective, but I tend to pack cammie BDU's. They give more freedom of movement than jeans, among other things, and are tougher for rough use than skirts - erm, I mean KILTS! Yeah, KILTS!

For me reinforced knees and seat and pockets out the wahzoo is an easy choice and they are also water"repelant" and fast drying.

But in the end it's a personal choice classic BDU's and them.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
very informative thread.

I am still undecided on whether to bug out or defend what I got. Guess when the moment comes I will have to make that decision based on the situation. One way or the other I will be prepared as best as I can.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Cool by me. Enjoy your suppressor, then. All I'm saying is that I'M not going to rely on one. Your mileage may vary.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
reply to post by neo96

Cool by me. Enjoy your suppressor, then. All I'm saying is that I'M not going to rely on one. Your mileage may vary.

Lol the only thing I rely on is my brain not any piece of equipment as Burt Gummer said "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

reply to post by randyvs

It's one hell of a Bug too!

Ya ! Well I pull these suckers out of my turban all the time.

But that's my heads up Slayer repellent can be a blessing. Seriously !

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join