It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bin Laden bedazzled Saddam with jewel $60 million Pearl of Allah

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Well this does make sense, but I will try to find some more info. I just do not see Osama spending that kind of $$$ for a prick like Saddam.

This could be big if proven......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TRAIL OF TERROR
Bin Laden bedazzled
Saddam with jewel
$60 million Pearl of Allah
'evidence of al-Qaida link'

Posted: October 29, 2004
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Aaron Klein
2004 WorldNetDaily.com

Osama bin Laden tried to purchase the world's largest pearl, the Pearl of Allah, as a gift to Saddam Hussein "to unite the Arab cultures," and Hussein was prepared to accept, according to the pearl's owner.

Victor Barbish, who owns 66 percent of the pearl on behalf of his daughter, told WorldNetDaily he received an offer in 1999 from individuals who said they were "from bin Laden's group" to purchase the pearl for $60 million to give to Hussein as an overture of unity between al-Qaida and the Iraqi government.

The Pearl of Allah, the largest pearl on record, was recovered from a giant clam on May 7, 1934, off the coast of Palawan Island, Philippines. The pearl is 9.4 inches long and weighs about 14 lbs. According to the "Guinness Book of Records," the San Francisco Gem Laboratory has valued the pearl at $40 million. The Muslim diver who found the pearl said its surface bore the image of a turbaned face, and he named it the Pearl of Allah.

worldnetdaily.com...

[edit on 30-10-2004 by edsinger]

[edit on 30-10-2004 by edsinger]

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   
It sounds more like a claim from the guy who owns the pearl than anything else...is that the only place you read about it????????? maybe going to an iraqi bbs would offer some more clues...?

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
And to think our goverment cant find a link between the two till after their butt is in the sling and they reveal in an investigation they were allied and infact a very large part of the group was in residence and operations their...

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Is that Osama or one of the Bin Laden family?

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by farhyde

Im lost what is your question about?

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by drbryankkruta

Originally posted by farhyde

Im lost what is your question about?

I read the article, which I didn't do when I posted this, but after reading it, it seems as though the press and the middleman guy, may be speculating as to who the actual buyer was. To say someone from the Bin laden group is like saying someone from the Smith group. There are a lot of bin ladens around those parts, Osama's family is quite large and rich. I am pretty sure Osama doesn't have the money to scrape together that much cash either. I am pretty sure that his family cut him a menial (in comparison) check and kicked his butt to the curb.

Thought at the same time.. I may have a preconcieved notion about EdSinger's posts

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Ok, while OBL might be ruthless, he's not stupid. He would never dream of spending 60 million dollars on a gift for Saddam, it just doesnt make sense. This sounds like a case of someone capitalizing on OBL infamy to help sell his jewel.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
The Muslim diver who found the pearl said its surface bore the image of a turbaned face, and he named it the Pearl of Allah.

Allah wears a turban? Who knew!

Wait 'til my friends find out that Allah drove me home from the airport!

As for the rest of the story, sounds like Saddam isn't a cheap date.

(And yes, I find the story rather improbable, too.)

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajicWait 'til my friends find out that Allah drove me home from the airport!

No he was the guy that was selling lunch from the Mobile Kitchen!

that was funny!

new topics

top topics

join