It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Vanity of Enlightenment

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by InTheLight

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
Never mind.
edit on 22-2-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

It appears to me he has chosen a specific path or belief (his perspective) of what his enlightenment or his truth is, so he is no different from you or I in that regard, or any of the other seekers I viewed on other videos. Nobody knows.

Eckhart Tolle was very depressed and filled with anxiety to the point of many contemplations of suicide and one day he woke up feeling amazing and life was suddenly great. He spent years trying to understand - now he does he shows what he has found.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Serdgiam
It would seem to me there are at least two ways to achieve an "ego-less" state. The first is a nullification of the sense of self. To me, this is done as an illusion to give the appearance the ego is no longer there. The second is a redefinition of self to include your own ego amongst the milieu of trillions of other pieces. Quite different, but experientially they lead to the same type of thinking.

One, as I said, seems to be an illusion set by the ego itself, where its death is essentially "faked," as there is still a sense of self. The other is just understanding that my own self is one part amongst many. In this way, selfishness means something entirely different. Selflessness, in this respect, is a denial of the whole, or "God," if you wish to see it in such a way. Even in denying one part of "What Is," it would seem that we perpetuate the illusion that arises from not accepting "What Is" as all parts of the whole, even if that part is called the "ego."

It also depends on our individual definition of ego. In my own, getting rid of the ego is literally suicide. Its not going anywhere until my body does!

In my experiences, I never had to perform the intentional act of shedding of my ego, rather transcendental experiences just happen to me without preparation, such as while walking in bright sunlight I just simply give all of myself to it.
edit on 22-2-2013 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ErgoTheConclusion

Then why do you care enough to fart about what the trees are saying about the fish?

What the hell happened to this conversation? Did you run out of intelligent questions to ask?

You have no other choice.

Pfft. I'll make another choice, and leave you with your limited imagination for company.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kapablanka

That is true but also false, you're downplaying the conditions of enlightenment, which is understandable but why you are closed off to the idea, which isn't an idea so much as it ifs within you right now, doesn't make sense. What is spoken about in the texts, the nature of it, is consistent, in so far as once you perpetually see to the root of things, the nature of your condition becomes permanent, ins so far as you've realized the true nature of reality, and there is no other thing to disrupt this state, being that you will always return to it, as everyone will eventually, which at its basis is raw awareness free from conditional effects of anything.

You do realize your enlightened say, half the day, don't you? You're not enlightened when your mind is perturbed and you're enduring suffering, so to rid yourself of this annoying you have to follow truth and see things for what they are, only you can determine this. So what was your point again? How do you wish to convince me of something you don't know? That is your error, you are promoting theories. By the way your word are perceived as empty, you seem to be devoid of something, I hope you're ok man, if you're going through something, keep your head up, don't get down on yourself, theres always a brighter day. I might suggest, having troubles with relating to your partner? Always a major issue.

The only reason my words are perceived as empty is because you perceive them that way. That is your misconception. That is your error.

But where my words seem empty, yours seem full of it.

Your argument amounts to "I know more than you." I remain unconvinced.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Eckhart Tolle was very depressed and filled with anxiety to the point of many contemplations of suicide and one day he woke up feeling amazing and life was suddenly great. He spent years trying to understand - now he does he shows what he has found.

Yes he figured out a great way to make millions of dollars.

link   

Never mind.

It appears to me he has chosen a specific path or belief (his perspective) of what his enlightenment or his truth is, so he is no different from you or I in that regard, or any of the other seekers I viewed on other videos. Nobody knows.

That is an unselfish act on his part, but his understanding is just that - his understanding.

link   
reply to post by InTheLight

Experiencing things beyond our current limits ("transcendental") would seem to be inherent to the process of being alive. It happens constantly. Which experiences do you see fit to describe as being more fruitful and special than others? Do you feel this is indicative of the "event" itself, or in our chosen perspective about any given event?

To me, such events only hold the meaning that we choose to give it, and only allow how much to be learned by how "special" we perceived the event. It would seem that if we are all whole parts of the whole, that any and all experience could lead to feeling transcendental should we see fit to choose it.
edit on 22-2-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Then why do you care enough to fart about what the trees are saying about the fish?

What the hell happened to this conversation? Did you run out of intelligent questions to ask?

Just walking along with you in the direction you've been walking without looking.

You have no other choice.

Pfft. I'll make another choice, and leave you with your limited imagination for company.

So you'll make the choice... to choose... to not interpret things... as you choose.

Exciting!
edit on 22-2-2013 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I doubt that. I've seen a slew of allegations and insights that were never addressed in any of your posts. You seem to have chosen the ones that interest you most.

I'd rather not interpret the rest "however I choose". I'm not a Christian.

Doubt all you want. That doesn't make it true.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

Yes people will pay for the end of unnecessary suffering - if someone seems to know where to find it people will pay. Why not?
They have to eat. The energy has to flow and money is just a unit of energy like food.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Never mind.

That is an unselfish act on his part, but his understanding is just that - his understanding.

Of course.
First hand knowing would be essential in being able to share. It would be a passion primarily and then maybe a means of income for some.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

What the hell happened to this conversation?

Fish farts flying feverywhere.

Thanks for the thread LesMis et. all! This time it's my contractually signed verification of adios to a nice long spiraling thread to where we already were.
/salute

edit on 22-2-2013 by ErgoTheConclusion because: $$$

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

A good product sells? Maybe. Who could say for sure?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Eckhart Tolle teaches the doctrine of living in the now, something we do already anyways. If that's enlightenment, we're all enlightened.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ErgoTheConclusion

Fish farts flying feverywhere.

Thanks for the thread LesMis et. all! This time it's my contractually signed verification of adios to a nice long spiraling thread to where we already were. /salute

Agreed. Till next time.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Experiencing things beyond our current limits ("transcendental") would seem to be inherent to the process of being alive. It happens constantly. Which experiences do you see fit to describe as being more fruitful and special than others? Do you feel this is indicative of the "event" itself, or in our chosen perspective about any given event?

Up to now I've kept all these experiences to myself, however some people on this thread have intrigued me to learn about others' experiences too. In the past when I had an inkling that a person was referring to this subject, I would delve into explaining my transendental experiences and promptly scare the person off. So, you see, I have little practice at explaining specifics in this regard, but I'll try.

One experience of note, while walking I stopped to give myself up completely to the bright sunlight (the light) and while being fully aware in the present moment, I spied a butterfly flying eratically above the busy and noisy street, so I put out my finger and I fixated upon it to land on my finger, which it did immediately. All this happened with my young daughter by my side, who witnessed the event. Her only words were "wow mom". My words to myself were "wow" too.

I've also heard of these types of 'special' events from Shamans and others, so from my daughter's perspective as a bystander, I'll go with the 'wow' factor.

edit on 22-2-2013 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Eckhart Tolle teaches the doctrine of living in the now, something we do already anyways. If that's enlightenment, we're all enlightened.

Yes - if you watch his video that I posted earlier he actually says that. He says a lot more as well.

This is the one I refer to:
youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Up to now I've kept all these experiences to myself, however some people on this thread have intrigued me to learn about others' experiences too. In the past when I had an inkling that a person was referring to this subject, I would delve into explaining my transendental experiences and promptly scare the person off. So, you see, I have little practice at explaining specifics in this regard, but I'll try.

One experience of note, while walking I stopped to give myself up completely to the bright sunlight (the light) and while being fully aware in the present moment, I spied a butterfly flying eratically above the busy and noisy street, so I put out my finger and I fixated upon it to land on my finger, which it did immediately. All this happened with my young daughter by my side, who witnessed the event. Her only words were "wow mom". My words to myself were "wow" too.

I've also heard of these types of 'special' events from Shamans and others, so from my daughter's perspective as a bystander, I'll go with the 'wow' factor.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Why do you feel this "wow" factor is not available continuously in every moment of our lives?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Why do you feel this "wow" factor is not available continuously in every moment of our lives?

I believe it is, but the obligations of the physical life take precedence. If only we could all lead the life of a monk.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I am not sure I understand, would you mind explaining it a bit more?

What is available to the monk that is not available to you or me? I could see it maybe being an "easier" environment in some ways, but beyond that I am not sure I see any real obstacles other than what we choose to put in the way.
edit on 22-2-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join