It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Vanity of Enlightenment

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Both of you grow the hell up and get back on topic. You make all of us look stupid with your immature poo-throwing contests. If you want to duke it out over an internet connection, please take it to private messages where the rest of us won't need a bottle of aspirin to deal with your asinine mentalities.

If only it was a simple matter of for diplomacy, i tried to PM itsnowagain to ask what the anger is for but never get replies.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I'll admit, I may not be enlightened, but I am certainly lazy...
didn't read the whole thread, apologies.

Just struck me that I tend to assume that "he who talks the most does the least" is a reliable principle for us humans!
In any activity I practice, or study, you can usually get an idea of the persons skill level by how much they boast about it. The more they claim, the less they know.
Because the more you know, the more aware you become of how much you don't know!
edit on 20-2-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by InTheLight

This is why I dismiss Nietzsche's philosophy, as well as a few others I've read down the line.

I hope you would do the same with such philosophies as those spewed by the bible or by feminism. Anything written by one gender about the other is going to be wrong.

What neitzsche wrote about men was far worse than what he wrote about women.

I most certainly do and I agree with your assessment on this subject. I never quite connected with any particular brand of philosophy. I am on the path to find my own connections spiritually, philosophically, intellectually, metaphysically etc. and perhaps find kindred souls on the same path because so far most people I encounter are fearful of walking this path.

So far, I am intrigued that I have connected with a couple poster's philosophies and/or transcendental experiences on this thread. Could this mean that some of our transcendental meditative journeys show us similarities of experiences, therefore translate into evidence that we may be viewing (third eye) the makeup of creation as it really is? (Just musing again, so please bear with me.)
edit on 20-2-2013 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Itisnowagain

It is a question that I have asked you many times but you will not answer.

Be clearer with your question and I might. As it is, I have no idea what your question means.

Do you ever slip into the past?

It is a yes or no answer - you do not need to know what the question 'means'. The mind wants to know what everything 'means' because it believes it could be a trap.
The mind is frightened that you will take away it's control over you. The mind has control at present but it is not the true master.

edit on 20-2-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

Just struck me that I tend to assume that "he who talks the most does the least" is a reliable principle for us humans!
In any activity I practice, or study, you can usually get an idea of the persons skill level by how much they boast about it. The more they claim, the less they know.
Because the more you know, the more aware you become of how much you don't know!

Well this is the point I made. Would a truly enlightened individual in the eastern philosophical sense come onto a conspiracy forum to tell everybody about their enlightenment.
It's an interesting topic and the search for enlightenment is a noble one,but to boast of enlightenment seems oxymoronic.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Itisnowagain

It is easy to attack and dictate how I should write and what I should write and where I should write but when I ask you a serious question which may show you something enlightening you back off.

I tend to avoid your questions because it takes a crowbar to get some sense out of you.

If you answer the question honestly we might make some progress. You say it takes a crowbar to get any sense out of me but when I am in communication with you and we are getting somewhere you retreat.
It is ok if you want to carry on the pretence but I thought you where honestly looking for the truth.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Originally posted by Bluesma

Well this is the point I made. Would a truly enlightened individual in the eastern philosophical sense come onto a conspiracy forum to tell everybody about their enlightenment.
It's an interesting topic and the search for enlightenment is a noble one,but to boast of enlightenment seems oxymoronic.

An enlightened 'person' is an oxymoron. It is a contradiction.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Don't be too harsh on Nietzsche, the idea that women are equal is relatively new. If you judged everyone from the past by today's standards, you would find very few worthy.

You would also find that outside of western culture women are looked down upon even more.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Don't be too harsh on Nietzsche, the idea that women are equal is relatively new. If you judged everyone from the past by today's standards, you would find very few worthy.

You would also find that outside of western culture women are looked down upon even more.

Even judging today's leaders by today's standards, I find very few worthy. Who are your role models?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

reply to post by woodwardjnr

And thus the attempt to place the universe in a box is made again.

Lots of ways to pivot people's perceptions and jar loose calcified thinking. Sometimes the universe may want to use a boaster to wake up a sleeper. Who am I to judge?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I have studiedany philosophies, but these days I would site Jonathan Locke.

I am impressed by Nietzchie, and he led me to Zoroastrianism which I think is the true root of Christianity.

I am also very impressed by Gnosticism and the Mabinogion.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
It is impossible for me to not be the absolute most ignorant here.

Namaste.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by InTheLight

Even judging today's leaders by today's standards, I find very few worthy. Who are your role models?

One shouldn't need a "role model", if you don't know how to act, you got bigger problems!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

I have studiedany philosophies, but these days I would site Jonathan Locke.

I am impressed by Nietzchie, and he led me to Zoroastrianism which I think is the true root of Christianity.

I am also very impressed by Gnosticism and the Mabinogion.

Well, I was thinking about this John Locke quote:

It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, and another to put him in possession of the truth.

But, he would be putting people in possession of his truth, not 'the truth'. Again, this is the question, is there one, or 'the truth', or is there only individual perception?

I'll just skip the Nietzche part.

I believe I should embrace and explore both the physical and spiritual worlds at times separately and at other times simultaneously.

I once met a Shaman who studied various traditions and ways of shamanism, perhaps you might be interested in learning about Celtic Shamanism.

The Celtic Shaman traverses the realms by climbing the tree (also seen as a great ladder or pole) into the Upper world. This is the realm of stars, celetial beings, and is the dwelling place of many gods and spirits of the air, and of the great Mother Goddess herself.

www.sacredfire.net...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1nf1del

One shouldn't need a "role model", if you don't know how to act, you got bigger problems!

It's not a matter of acting but of viewing others philosophies, journeys, and deeds that have gone before us as models from which to create a base of reference or strategy in how to approach and successfully manage the journey to enlightenment (whatever that word means to you).

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1nf1del

It's not a matter of acting but of viewing others philosophies, journeys, and deeds that have gone before us as models from which to create a base of reference or strategy in how to approach and successfully manage the journey to enlightenment (whatever that word means to you).

It is not possible to journey to enlightenment - there is no distance to travel.
Be what you are. Find out what you are.
Know thyself.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErgoTheConclusion
It is impossible for me to not be the absolute most ignorant here.

Namaste.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Confucious

edit on 21-2-2013 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, and another to put him in possession of the truth.

But, he would be putting people in possession of his truth, not 'the truth'. Again, this is the question, is there one, or 'the truth', or is there only individual perception?

Truth is singular. Versions of truth are mistruths.

It is not possible to tell the truth so to put another in possession of truth is not possible.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Truth is singular. Versions of truth are mistruths.

It is not possible to tell the truth so to put another in possession of truth is not possible.

I have found that some people's experiences (truths) on this thread are similar to my own. So, what am I to gleen from this? That there may indeed be individual truths with some of them haphazardly matching my truths, and some of us are just approaching it the same way? That some of us are at the same points on the path and have the same awareness to glimpses of 'the one truth'?

It certainly is an interesting journey, any way you look at it.

new topics

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join