It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Vanity of Enlightenment

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1nf1del

Jesus Christ, Buddha research any "mystic" or "prophet" you will come up with the same question, where did they get their knowledge?

Jesus was special, he was born with knowledge that no other humans had. Buddha was not so special, he had to gain his knowledge through experience.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serdgiam

no two humans are the same in any aspect of life or beyond!

Except for the fact that they are both currently human as well as alive, no?
edit on 11-2-2013 by Serdgiam because: lil add

Then maybe you can show me an exact clone of you?

Did you happen to miss my point? Both have to be clones to be human and alive?

Are you human?
Are you alive?
Do you breath?
Are you communicating through this message board?
Do you read English?
Are you using electronics to access the internet?
Do you eat food?
Does your heart beat?

Me too! Why would clones even enter into it?

Unless... you are my clone!

*cue twilight zone music*
edit on 11-2-2013 by Serdgiam because:

You didn't make a point, you responded to something I said that apparently you didn't understand, do you think you can jump on a dirt bike and keep up with me? Do you think you could get behind my drum kit and play exactly like me? Probably not, you put any two humans side by side and there are going to be differences, even in twins, no two are exactly the same, one will be shorter etc.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
You gotta hand it to unenlightened people. I mean, going through life under the illusion that they are what they think they are... that life is what they think it is. It's tough. It can lead to things like ulcers!

So, to all the unlightened, I say thanks for agreeing to go through life as if the mask of your persona that you wear day-in-and-day-out is really the real you. It makes being enlightened so much more fun!

No prob Blue!

For the royalty to feel special and more important, there have to be the Plebians to give them something to look down on. Right?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

You didn't make a point, you responded to something I said that apparently you didn't understand, do you think you can jump on a dirt bike and keep up with me? Do you think you could get behind my drum kit and play exactly like me? Probably not, you put any two humans side by side and there are going to be differences, even in twins, no two are exactly the same, one will be shorter etc.

I could lie in a bed with you and we would both fall asleep the same way... or not fall asleep the same way.

Don't judge me, first example that came to mind.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wang Tang

Jesus Christ, Buddha research any "mystic" or "prophet" you will come up with the same question, where did they get their knowledge?

Jesus was special, he was born with knowledge that no other humans had. Buddha was not so special, he had to gain his knowledge through experience.

Where do people who talk to "god" get there knowledge?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 1nf1del

My point was very simple, though perhaps not entirely clear.

You said "no two humans are the same in any aspect."

I pointed out that they are the same in some aspects. One being that they are both human.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Where do people who talk to "god" get there knowledge?

Where do people talk to god?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I could lie in a bed with you and we would both fall asleep the same way... or not fall asleep the same way.

Don't judge me, first example that came to mind.

If you can't figure out what I'm saying I'm done responding to you!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I know exactly what you are saying. And I'm saying the other guy is right.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

reply to post by 1nf1del

My point was very simple, though perhaps not entirely clear.

You said "no two humans are the same in any aspect."

I pointed out that they are the same in some aspects. One being that they are both human.

And every snowflake is made of snow, how do you split your hairs?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I know exactly what you are saying. And I'm saying the other guy is right.

I'm not here to argue semantics with you or him, you win and he wins, good day!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
You gotta hand it to unenlightened people. I mean, going through life under the illusion that they are what they think they are... that life is what they think it is. It's tough. It can lead to things like ulcers!

So, to all the unlightened, I say thanks for agreeing to go through life as if the mask of your persona that you wear day-in-and-day-out is really the real you. It makes being enlightened so much more fun!

No prob Blue!

For the royalty to feel special and more important, there have to be the Plebians to give them something to look down on. Right?

Not at all. The Divine Spark in an enlightened person is also in unenlightened persons. It just a matter of what kind of game the Spark is playing.

But to turn the tables. For the rationalist to feel smart, there have to be vain superstitious dumb-asses who are so deluded as to think they are actually enlightened to give rational folk something to look down on. Right?

edit on 11-2-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I was wondering how long it would take for the vanity to really start flowing.

I thought it would happen a bit more quickly, but I have been wrong before and will be wrong again.

Its too bad that everything needs to be an "I win, you lose" scenario when all that was attempted was a sharing of perspective intertwined with a bit of humor (albeit poorly done).

Dominicus, I have seen your posts for a while and have respect for you. Do you see what is being spoken about now?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Truth be told, I feel you (like anyone) has an enormous amount to offer others, including myself. When it is wrapped in vanity and self-righteousness, it just makes the pill harder to swallow.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

So, to all the unenlightened, I say thanks for agreeing to go through life as if the mask of your persona that you wear day-in-and-day-out is really the real you. It makes being enlightened so much more fun!

Ridiculing the 'unenlightened' seems to be the only method through which the 'enlightened' can prove they are enlightened. Of course, this only verifies that those who consider themselves enlightened feel threatened by the mere opinions of others, thus leading them to believe the image they hold of themselves are under attack. This is vanity, which only further proves my point.

Thanks for contributing.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I thought it would happen a bit more quickly, but I have been wrong before and will be wrong again.

Its too bad that everything needs to be an "I win, you lose" scenario when all that was attempted was a sharing of perspective intertwined with a bit of humor (albeit poorly done).

Dominicus, I have seen your posts for a while and have respect for you. Do you see what is being spoken about now?

Vanity? Where do you see vanity?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

You can go ahead and interpret my post as ridicule if you want. Truth is, I don't look down on unenlightened people. I am grateful to them. And to you.

Of course, that doesn't mean that you aren't displaying the vanity of rationalism.

edit on 11-2-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Ironic. You are now pleading for the approval of Dominicus, whom you respect, to recognize the wisdom in what you have said. Is that not vain in itself?

In my opinion this isn't an I win you lose situation. It's a you lose, he lose, I lose situation, and that is fine by me. As long as someone else loses by more.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Vanity? Where do you see vanity?

See the post above you. Ill copy and paste though, with some emphasis of my own:

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

So, to all the unenlightened, I say thanks for agreeing to go through life as if the mask of your persona that you wear day-in-and-day-out is really the real you. It makes being enlightened so much more fun!

Ridiculing the 'unenlightened' seems to be the only method through which the 'enlightened' can prove they are enlightened. Of course, this only verifies that those who consider themselves enlightened feel threatened by the mere opinions of others, thus leading them to believe the image they hold of themselves are under attack. This is vanity, which only further proves my point.

Thanks for contributing.

That line wasnt directed at you, though I suppose if you assumed it was, then that would be another case of vanity present here. Some of the other lines in that post were towards you though. It really is a shame it has to be an "I win, you lose" thing. I have no doubt you could contribute greatly to this thread.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Truth be told, I feel you (like anyone) has an enormous amount to offer others, including myself. When it is wrapped in vanity and self-righteousness, it just makes the pill harder to swallow.

no student can achieve enlightenment whilst having a master. if u are going to have a master and be spoon fed, expect that ur going to have to pick out the thorns urself. an enlightened master had no master. for those who would like the rose without the thorns.. that is too bad. it was packaged especially to ward off such ppl who know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.. who always judge a book by its cover! It is a boundary that the superficial cannot pass.. and it is noone's fault but their own that they remain blind in one eye.
edit on 11-2-2013 by 0mage because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join