It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Statement on Papal Resignation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Reported Here & Elsewhere

On behalf of Americans everywhere, Michelle and I wish to extend our appreciation and prayers to His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. Michelle and I warmly remember our meeting with the Holy Father in 2009, and I have appreciated our work together over these last four years. The Church plays a critical role in the United States and the world, and I wish the best to those who will soon gather to choose His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI's successor.

Okay .. so what 'work' did Obama and the pope do together over the past four years?
Really ... I"m not remembering anything except Obama giving the church a
hard time over the church not believing in paying for contraception for people.

What 'work" did Obama and Benedict do together??

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Maybe the work that they did together has something to do with his resignation? Just saying, since it's only been what 600 years since a pope stepped down from the position. If they worked together on anything I will just go ahead and assume it wasn't good, or we would have heard about it.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The guy is dying. Obama can't exactly attack him. I would expect this kind of political correctness from a president.

However, point well made. I'm pretty sure they disagreed MUCH more than 'work' together over the past years.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
What 'work" did Obama and Benedict do together??

Abortion questions were also a focus of a 2009 meeting between Benedict and Obama, who supports abortion rights. The pope presented the president with a document outlining the church’s position on such issues, according to reports from the time.

“The president explicitly expressed his commitment to reducing the numbers of abortions and to listen to the church’s concerns on moral issues,” a Vatican spokesman said, according to news reports.

Read more: www.politico.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

No, the person taking the dictation for the statement misheard the Tyrant 0bama.
What he said was this. The correction in Bold

On behalf of Americans everywhere, Michelle and I wish to extend our appreciation and prayers to His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. Michelle and I warmly remember our meeting with the Holy Father in 2009, and I have appreciated making you work harder over these last four years. The Church plays a critical role in the United States and the world, and I wish the best to those who will soon gather to choose His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI's successor.

edit on 11-2-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

If that is what you are pitching, that it is a sad sad day for the unborn babies.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

They had one meeting and Obama has worked overtime to infringe on the Beliefs and rights of Catholics throughout this nation. Obama was also successful in creating yet another enemy to battle and for the MSM to belittle. The Catholic Church and all of those who follow its doctrine. CNN wasted no time to turn this resignation into a Catholic Bash fest. The Obama lip service is not worth the trouble and is just a waste of mediocre air...

Obama needs enemies to fight....

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

So in other words .. they had one meeting in four years .. Obama payed lip service ... the pope expected nothing in reality from Obama .. and Obama went on to give the members of the Catholic church a hard time ...

okay .. got it. Thanks. They didnt' work together for four years.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

Well there are literally thousands of threads on ATS that go after "the holy father Obama" and this one does to.

Pointing out that Obama has not worked with religious people in this case Catholics is well known as forcing them to pay for contraception he has worked against them.

The op has a legitimate criticism of our "lord and savior Obama".
edit on 11-2-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

I am not "pitching" anything. FF asked a question and I gave some information.

Originally posted by FlyersFan
So in other words .. they had one meeting in four years .. Obama payed lip service ... the pope expected nothing in reality from Obama .. and Obama went on to give the members of the Catholic church a hard time ...

I wasn't there. I don't know how many phone calls or discussions they've had, or how exactly they have worked together... but clearly, you have been involved in every communication, since you seem to know exactly what happened.

They didnt' work together for four years.

If you knew that, why did you ask?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

If that is what you are pitching, that it is a sad sad day for the unborn babies.

What about the all-grown-up babies? Like ones that can't accept when a poster actually answers a babies question?

Jul 10, 2009

President Barack Obama sat down with Pope Benedict XVI at the Vatican on Friday for a meeting in which frank but constructive talks were expected between two men who agree on helping the poor but disagree on abortion and stem cell research. (July 10)

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Well a poster can answer unlike those 50 million unborn babies who will never have a chance at life like we did.

A poster can also be condescending to make excuses for the act of murder unlike a child who will never be born because its not convenient .

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Pointing out that Obama has not worked with religious people in this case Catholics is well known as forcing them to pay for contraception he has worked against them.

You seem to be rather obsessed with a woman's reproductive rights. I'm sure you can get help for that. And, now, thankfully, under Obamacare, it should be affordable.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

You seem to be rather obsessed with a woman's reproductive rights. I'm sure you can get help for that. And, now, thankfully, under Obamacare, it should be affordable.

Nope only cowards hide behind women, I don't support abortion, and I don't support governemnt forcing anyone to do anything.

I call abortion what it is-MURDER/GENOCIDE.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Obama's meeting with Pope Benedict immediately followed Obama's G8 Summit and preceded his trip to Ghana.

Plenty of formalities, pomp and circumstance. A brief private discussion followed by more pomp and a meet and greet with the Obama clan (daughters included).

Read on www.catholicnews.com...

I'd like to think that his excellency put Obama in his place. But this meeting occurred during the honeymoon phase of Obama's first term. They heavy debates and the iron thumb on the Catholic church regarding Obamacare Mandates had not yet surfaced at the time of this meeting.

Meanwhile

Feb 9, 2012 / 05:01 am (CNA/EWTN News).- Despite rumors of a compromise on the government's controversial contraception mandate, the White House has not offered any concessions to the U.S. bishops’ conference and has not contacted them about possible negotiations.

Bishop William E. Lori of Bridgeport, Conn. told CNA in a Feb. 8 statement that “no one from the Administration has approached the United States Catholic Conference of Bishops for discussions on this matter of a possible ‘compromise.’”

Bishop Lori, who chairs the bishops’ committee for religious liberty, maintained that “the only acceptable solution to the HHS mandate is for the Administration to rescind completely the mandate to cover abortion-inducing drugs, sterilization, and contraception.”

edit on 11-2-2013 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Nope only cowards hide behind women, I don't support abortion, and I don't support governemnt forcing anyone to do anything.

I call abortion what it is-MURDER/GENOCIDE.

Would you be so kind as to point out exactly where abortion is mandated in Obamacare?

Or where Contraception is forced on anybody?

I'll even help and link the bill for you.

The Affordable Care Act, Section by Section

Don't worry, I'll wait.

edit on 11-2-2013 by BritofTexas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

see above.. The medicine is called an abortion inducing drug... then we can get into the illegal taxpayer funding of Planned parenthood. That's another topic...

ETA
Nice twisting of words though BRAVO!! Funny how you got all of that from what you quoted Classic!
edit on 11-2-2013 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

From Maine to Arizona to southern Louisiana, Catholic churches across the country echoed with scorn for a new federal rule requiring faith-based employers to include birth control and other reproductive services in their health care coverage. Dozens of priests took the rare step of reading letters from the pulpit urging parishioners to reach out to Washington and oppose the rule, enacted Jan 20.

The rule requires nearly all employers to provide their employees access to health insurance that covers artificial contraception, sterilization services and the "morning after" birth control pill. The mandate exempts individual churches but applies to Catholic universities, Catholic-based charities and to groups affiliated with Methodists, Baptists and other denominations. Roman Catholic leaders morally oppose artificial birth control and related services, and they called the rule an infringement on their constitutional rights. "This is the government interfering in the workings of the church," said Sister Mary Ann Walsh, spokeswoman for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, which has made fighting the contraception mandate a top-shelf priority.

www.politico.com...

Yeah that's really "working with the Pope", and the church dictating to them.

Amendment I Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join