It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome to new ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Old ATS :

Have a thought... do research... post thread...be prepared to answer and debate responses.

New ATS

Don't think......post sensationalist title without thought............... do one liner and post link..............spend time on wikipedia researching to reply to your own post when you're surprised that someone out there actually knows something about your thread title .

I love ATS and there are still some good debates to be had and information to be shared, but whereas it used to be a refreshing dip in a cool spring now it's like wading through treacle.

I was hoping the pope resigning might bring up some interesting debates combining St Malachy, 2012, the end of days, revelations, nostradamus . Went for a birthday kip, woke up and got THIS

Since when was John Carpenter's Vampires flag worthy ? What next Zombie strippers as a conspiracy based thread ?

Welcome to the new ATS
edit on 11-2-2013 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Went for a birthday kip, woke up and got THIS

That made me smile

Happy Birthday !!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Thanks gortex
Just wiping the treacle off my feet

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Case in point

See my point ?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Quality .
I get your point and you are not alone in your despair , in fact Destinyone had this rant about it a few days ago .... it has been noticed and is frustrating .

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Read it ........... replied to it............. plead guilty................. apoligised ..........but still had the knowledge to back up my threads

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Its all gotta be from flouride in the water.
I have to keep myself from trolling some of those threads and i admit it's been hard. But i've been good this far.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

It's most often hallmaks of the younger generation between the ages of 17 to 25 still in the thralls of the MTV fast blips instant wants deal. They have not got the time to use the search engine or even use their own eyes to see multiple threads already listed on one particular topic. If they do some how manage to make an original thread is subjected to twitter like musings and quick link fixes because their brain can not deal with over 3000 characters in which to post well thought out paragraphs.

Spelling and half decent grammer also are ignored as the 'WUH! CAN TYPE!' people respond with fake attitude one line glibs, put-downs and ignorant saracasm. Once in a while there will be a gem of insightful wisdom and well researched idea sprinkled with some original input thought from the new generation who have woken up to the reality of conspiracies and draconian control of their freedoms.

Thats no excuse not to read the Terms and Conditions.

Then you have those who drift over from other conspiracy sites who are more relaxed in what is allowed to be written including swearing and unsavory comments, thinking ATS is of the same low standard and they then wonder why their threads get closed and their membership swotted to the banned list.

Thankfully this only remains to a small portion of the overall all population here on ATS.

I wont even mention the 'trolls.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I have started to notice a rather worrying trend on ATS the rant forum is being used more and more, it’s not staff or the website itself that is the target of the rants but fellow members. I keep saying this, I blame the newer members that have joined in say the past year or so I think it’s due in large part to the whole 2012 thing attracting people who are basically stupid. I have started to notice a lot more members (non-mods) posting more and more on the rant forum about the problems with the quality of threads and posts something I totally agree with.

A example could include a thread I came today across in the “political issues” forum, I saw a thread that consisted of only 5 words and a 2 minute long YouTube video that was a song about “Joe the communist”. That was it, now I have to give credit to the mods for taking it off but I was seriously left wondering why the OP bothered to even post such drivel. The mods I have to say are doing a good job but I would bet that their work load has been increasing recently.

To the OP, I totally get what you are saying about members who post these sensationalist threads then get surprised when someone actually replies who knows what they are talking about and exposes the original post as a joke. I can recall an example of a member who had written a thread about MI6, who are more correctly called SIS. When replying to the thread I referred to them as SIS the OP of said thread told me I was talking about a completely different group and didn’t know what I was talking about (OP did not realise SIS and MI6 are the same thing). It made me laugh but again wonder why creating a thread on a topic you know nothing about, I know very little about UFO’s so I don’t usually post other than to ask a question and to learn.

I find at times I now avoid discussing subject I would once discuss just because people on ATS don’t really same to care about truth anymore.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
Old ATS :

Have a thought... do research... post thread...be prepared to answer and debate responses.

New ATS

Don't think......post sensationalist title without thought............... do one liner and post link..............spend time on wikipedia researching to reply to your own post when you're surprised that someone out there actually knows something about your thread title .

I love ATS and there are still some good debates to be had and information to be shared, but whereas it used to be a refreshing dip in a cool spring now it's like wading through treacle.

I was hoping the pope resigning might bring up some interesting debates combining St Malachy, 2012, the end of days, revelations, nostradamus . Went for a birthday kip, woke up and got THIS

Since when was John Carpenter's Vampires flag worthy ? What next Zombie strippers as a conspiracy based thread ?

Welcome to the new ATS
edit on 11-2-2013 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

I dont know but I was composing and just about to post THE thread of all seasonal television broadcasts" HAVE YOU SEEN this SHOW? Here comes Honey Boo Boo marries Half Man and the potencial Mother In Law Problems" spoiled it for me (someone probably already has).
edit on 11-2-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I completely agree with you, i've been on the sidelines for ages just watching this happen step by step, I think it's time for a reform to unite against these people, some people on here actually want to have an adult discussion and broaden their minds... but hey, it's the internet what can you do *sarcasm*

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I missed the heyday of ATS, but have read some of the threads. No matter what occurs, the site adds knowledge every day, even though the amount of bickering, name calling, and shouting to the rooftops over nonsense UFO videos take some of the attention. But many threads rise above the twitterits into real discussion and discovery. Look at the threads on the recent earthquakes in the Soloman Islands, the data from the Mars rovers, in-depth discussions of programmed reality, all of these are new and yet add to the depth of information people share here. So it's not all going downhill, it just has a lot of people grabbing onto the public trolley that ATS provides.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
Old ATS :

If you would like to see some well Researched or well Debated threads then you might think reading some of the excellent threads in the newly revamped research or debate forums.

A couple that spring to mind would be Bigfoot- Could North America sustain one or if that doesn't tickle your fancy theres The reality of global warming On the debate side you could have have a read of Atlantis existed or even The US postal service should go

You might even think about applying to take part in these threads yourself by applying for Fighter or Scholar status

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

It seems as though ATS has had an influx of reddit users who cannot or will not read and follow the T&C here.

Oh, here's the obligatory second line that doesn't seem to matter anymore.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I think we can only lead by example.

It is frustrating to work on a big thread.

Then it quickly disappears with threads full of a couple lines and a youtube link.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Exactly! I learned alot from ATS. I have even heard breaking news before anyone else

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

You got it right. Its turned into a youth "chat-room" for a big part. And posted responses are humorous and "Oh yeah?"

Easy to join for those of young age, they join without caring for the integrity of the content. Its just another 1 of all the other bunch of sites they join for "fun".

It wasnt that when I joined...and thats a disappointment. When one gets some 16 year old who found some video about UFOs that we knew about years ago.....well...its not worth even addressing.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I was hoping the pope resigning might bring up some interesting debates combining St Malachy, 2012, the end of days, revelations, nostradamus

so...then...why didn't you just make that thread yourself and watch it grow to something to which you can contribute?

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Used to come in here and find interesting threads about things all over the world that you didnt fins anywhere else.
Now you come to the site and have to doublecheck that you arent at Foxnews, CNN, MSNBC or any of the others.
What on earth is Top Secret about the daily news. let alone ABOVE it.
ATS is becoming nothing more than a boring news site with discussion.
Hope it changes back soon.

join