Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Contest Seeks Underworldly Names For 2 Pluto Moons

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This was the question posed few months ago but now there is a website to vote your suggestions

Cape Canaveral, Florida: Want to name Pluto's two tiniest moons? Then you'll need to dig deep into mythology.

Astronomers announced a contest Monday to name the two itty-bitty moons of Pluto discovered over the past two years.

Three Pluto moons already have names associated with Hades and the underworld. They are Charon (KEHR-on), the ferryman of Hades; the half-human, Half-fish spirit Nix; and the multi-headed monster Hydra.

LINK

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I'm surprised they haven't found these other two sooner. Makes me wonder what else they could have overlooked, who knows what miniscule things await to be discovered.

Voted for Eurydice and Erebus

Place your votes
Pluto's rocks

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Hmmm. I'm surprised Theseus and Pirithous aren't on that list.

Together, Theseus and Pirithous went to the underworld and tried to kidnap Hades wife, Persophone, to become the wife of Pirithous. Hades found out about their plan and held them in the underworld (by getting snakes to wrap around their legs).

Theseus was eventually freed by Hercules, but Pirithous remained trapped. Theseus is better known in Greek Mythology as the one who killed the Minotaur.

edit on 2/11/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
ronald and reginald
..... oops wrong underwold

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Acheron (river forming the border of Hades) and Cerberus (3 headed guard dog of Hades) get my vote.

top topics

join