It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we make it so a double post is not possible.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Can we make it so a double post is not possible.

Like limit the time between posts to be at least 30 seconds...

Is that not possible? Sometimes you hit enter too fast and it double posts.

Why not make it so a time period of 30 or 20 seconds has to transpire?

No one needs to post two separate responses in under a minute. You cant even type that fast even if you were to respond with a one liner.

So, can we eliminate the double post problem somehow?

edit on 11-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

That would make thread starting difficult, especially in situations where many initial posts are required so that things like images and video series can be posted, in order to strengthen an initial premise.

Its trickier than you think.

On the other hand, we could all just try not to hammer the post button more than once!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

It still happens some times. Also when on your mobile phone you dont know if it is loading the page still or you did in fact post what you wrote.

And you mean to tell me you can post thought out text and pictures in under 20 seconds?

I dont see the need. If you are going to like "reserve" the first posts, why not hash them out before hand and then just post them when the thread is ready instead of working against the clock of editing time?

edit on 12-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   

What if you've just written a long OP and need to break it up into several posts when you post it?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by diqiushiwojia

I have done that. I type in the box, when my characters run out I post it in note pad. Then continue.

If you dont put a title it wont let you post it if you accidentally hit reply or enter.

BUT it can be erased. So I type by 1/3 if it is long then just post it all together. You can add more than the limit if you edit it. I post some and then add the rest in the same post. Or just make a second one.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Sometimes, when a thread writer has alot of material to post all at once, they have to write thier whole presentation out in a word or notepad format, and then copy paste it into one post after another. I have seen writers and researchers on this site post a five post thread begining, and having to wait between posts would severely impede the smooth flow of that process. Also, it would see other posters comming in before the whole presentation has been displayed.

All things considered, I think its best to avoid such a scenario.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

This is a dangerous way to go about really long OP's. I, for example, have a thread called "The Terrorists Compendium" ( or close to that ) in which the OP took more than one full ATS page. If I would have tried to edit it all into a single post? It would have caused chaos in the formatting of the board.

Double posts are a pain and I've made my fair share. In my case I simply adapted my behavior to prevent it from happening. Now, when I click either "post" or "reply" - I am mindful of making sure I only click the mouse once - and I also wait, even if the page gets stuck in loading - just to be sure it did or did not post, before I try clicking anything again.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

What about having 5 minutes to just completely delete a post so it doesn't even register on the page in case you realize you've double posted, posted something inappropriate etc?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

That is a question that has an answer higher than my pay grade. I honestly don't know anything about the impact such a function might have upon the stability of the database, for example.

From a mod point of view? I think it's a bad idea - as it would end up allowing the less honorable folks to be able to post any manner of nonsense and then totally eliminate all record of it before staff could see. As it stands, once in a blue moon, folks do try this - using the edit function - but at least if a complaint comes in, there is an extant post still up that carries an edit tag. Staff, then, at least has a bit of proof to go on. If posts could be totally removed? We'd be clicking on dead links. Then, of course, some creative troll would figure out that they could simply create alerts to links that never existed at all and then claim that they were once there.

Chaos... it would be chaos.

new topics

top topics

join