It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG, asteroid near miss caused by Global Warming!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

Originally posted by abeverage
To set you straight a denser, thicker atmosphere would most certainly deflect or better incinerate incoming asteroids. And a the density of the atmosphere is in direct correlation to the temperature of our planet. But who knows with such a sort clip if he corrected her, but the length indicates an anti-Global Warming agenda when clearly the talking head was joking or stupid.

But No, Global warming cannot cause an asteroid...

This was posted on Breitbart TV the same day it broadcast.
Nye did not correct her.

She posed the "global warming" question after she'd just reported on the "Northeast Blizzard," and considered its relation to "global warming. They went to a commercial and returned to Nye for the asteroid.
The clip has not been edited, Deb Feyerick was not corrected and she was not joking.

I've heard that The Onion wants to buy-out her contract.

jw

edit on 11-2-2013 by jdub297 because: i

Still then seem out of context as the Blizzard would have relation to Global Warming. But, if that is the case then I hope the Onion is successful!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by tport17
Bill Nye is getting so old.

Did anyone notice when the anchor tells him to make sure people know it won't be hitting us and not to get nervous, he says "Yeah, well you should get nervous but not about this."

Any idea what he is talking about?

Ya it cal C/2012 S1 the KILL SHOT

" They're going to change the date for Christmas " revelation of my friend, observatory worker

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
To me, looking at this, it seems like this is probably her standard line of questioning and she probably uses it for every story she covers.

"Bronco Bama won a second term in office. Bill, what impact do you think global warming had on the election?"

"A three car pileup happened late last night, reportedly caused by a drunk driver. Jim, was global warming responsible in any way for this accident?"

"I stubbed my toe getting out of bed this morning. Robert, can you explain how global warming may have been the cause?"

I wouldn't doubt that her news director pushes her to associate every story with global warming, no matter how relevant it is to the story. They just want to put that idea into the back of everyone's mind that maybe, just maybe, global warming may have been the cause of everything that goes wrong in the world today.

As for no correction coming from Nye, either he was content to let the suggestion hang there or he's heard it so often from this lady, he doesn't even bother to comment on it anymore.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
reply to post by FortAnthem

BILL NYE......

Science.....guy?

He is like the Lady Gaga of science......All show and no substance.

I lost respect for him after he was on SG1......His kids show was fun though.
edit on 11-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

Stupid argument... I mean, you know more than him? And you dismiss him because of SG-1? Nice...

Thats the same as dismissing Dale Dye who has 3 purple hearts, one bronze start and went from private to captain after enlistment because his own deeds (unlike many high ranked officers) just because he helped and participated in a few video games, tv-series and some movies.

Oh... look... hear that? there goes the logic train - try to catch it please.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
When the presenter waffled about global warming, he did say no no no, but she was talking over him in the time lapse, (it's a nuisance thing) and he was off camera. I think by mentioning meteorology, he was trying to get on a sensible track. Actually, he is the first guy I heard putting the perspective of time to a near miss like this, that was interesting.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

When was he on SG-1? I don't remember that. Why would that cause a loss of respect for him? It seems him and the show would go hand in hand...... The quirky and fun explinations of scientific principles. In any case, I agree, I thoroughly enjoyed his kids show when I was in grade school.....Made learning fun.

I think the main reason he didn't "set her straight" was because he had a predetermined, almost scripted statement that didn't invlovle discussing the impacts of global warming on asteroids. I highly doubt that Bill Nye supports that ridiculous notion.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Renegade2283

When was he on SG-1? I don't remember that.

Of course you dont. The thing about people who only know how to say negative things about others is that they dont even get the more basic facts right. It wasnt SG-1, it was Atlantis.

EDIT: and the catastrophic role of Bill Nye in a single episode of SG Atlantis that made him lose all credibility to our friend there was... of Bill Nye. Maybe he playing himself really bad... who knows? Haters gonna hate...
edit on 11-2-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuntC
I am surprised they don't say all the quakes in the world are from global warming. That birth weights for babies is going down due to global warming. Crap I am shocked they don't say that aliens are dying due to global warming. Give them time, I am sure they will come up with tons of new things.

I think the crazy hair guy from Ancient Aliens may have already said that.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gu1tarJohn

Originally posted by AuntC
I am surprised they don't say all the quakes in the world are from global warming. That birth weights for babies is going down due to global warming. Crap I am shocked they don't say that aliens are dying due to global warming. Give them time, I am sure they will come up with tons of new things.

I think the crazy hair guy from Ancient Aliens may have already said that.

Of course he did say that, he should know, he is a fecking alien himself, and the hair thing is not accidental either. The reason why it looks different all the time and why he has that burnt, crispy look is because he is always rushing back and forth through the piggin' stargate, (the real cause for asteroids, hemorrhoids, and global warming) and you never come out of it quite the same. It's a bit like the London tube experience.
edit on 11-2-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Imagine how this lady feels knowing that her dumb comment has gone viral.

Can you imagine waking up in the morning knowing that millions of people in the country consider you an idiot?

That's gotta be hard to live with.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

I cannot believe two people who manage to be on TV don't know what causes tides. If your one of them...it's the gravity pull between the Earth, Sun and Moon that slight warps the slightly elastic core oof our planet while they orbit.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
He said in response to her stupid intro... "except, it's all science"... as in her intro was not. That was a passive aggressive smack-down that she probably missed.

He didn't want to make her look bad (worse) so he used something that not too many would pick up on while still calling her an idiot.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Renegade2283
When was he on SG-1? I don't remember that. Why would that cause a loss of respect for him?

I think it was one of the last Atlantis episodes, they had three or four 'real' physicists on including Neal Degrasse Tyson, and there was a funny line with Nye that sorta resonates with me, being in the same boat - Tyson says something about Nye not being able to contribute to the solution of the problem because he's an engineer and not a physicist, and Nye replies "I may be an engineer but I can still do math"

At least that's what I recall, ymmv.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Global warming and its relationship with asteroids is not as far-fetched as many seem to think it is.

It has been studied and the theory is that objects that should just pass close by the Earth are now more of a threat because global warming has caused the atmosphere to expand just enough to capture such objects.

A University of Michigan space scientist is worried that global warming is increasing the risk that an asteroid could, one day, collide with the Earth. The seemingly impossible connection is due to a basic law of physics: when a gas is heated, it expands.

"Some large meteoroids have skimmed the outer reaches of Earth's atmosphere, skipping off back into outer space", said Professor Charles Boyle, chairman of U. of M.'s Near-Earth Asteroid Team (NEAT). "As the atmosphere warms, it expands outward, potentially capturing large asteroids that would have otherwise been a near-miss. It seems that the dangers from global warming just keep mounting up…like the national debt."

So before we completely dismiss this as another MSM crackpot theory, we should look into it so that we actually know what we are talking about.

Source
edit on 11-2-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: add source

edit on 11-2-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

He did respond. He said 'No no, except it's all science'.

edit on 11-2-2013 by citizenoftheworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
double post
edit on 11-2-2013 by citizenoftheworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

It has been studied and the theory is that objects that should just pass close by the Earth are now more of a threat because global warming has caused the atmosphere to expand just enough to capture such objects.

According to their own "logic", wouldn't expansion of the atmosphere protect us even more?

"Some large meteoroids have skimmed the outer reaches of Earth's atmosphere, skipping off back into outer space",

If the atmosphere expands, wouldn't that expand the skippiness factor ?
edit on 11-2-2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

EDIT to add: nice source

Now that all reputable scientists agree that global warming is the greatest threat to face mankind since the secretly-thwarted alien invasion of 1955, it seemed that just the warming alone was enough to strike terror in the hearts of Earth's imperiled inhabitants. But this new connection between global warming and the asteroid threat makes immediate action to avoid planetary collision just as important as avoiding planetary meltdown.

edit on 11-2-2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

If the atmosphere expands, wouldn't that expand the skippiness factor ?

The "skippiness" would also move outward as the atmosphere expands. Objects that once may have just missed us or bounced off the outer atmosphere would be on a much more direct path that would increase the chances of the object being pulled into the Earth.

If you need an easy way to learn about how the outer atmosphere works.....look into space shuttle re-entry material.

EDIT to add: nice source

know, I know....not the best source. I just used a link that I had ran into while searching for a research project I am working on.

In the end, the theory is still sound and plausible.
edit on 11-2-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Can you provide a better source other than a global warming fear monger site?

I mean, I'll keep an open mind, but that site is bananas.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

I have been trying to find a U of M archive or something similar for a couple days that contains this particular info. When I find it...I'll let you know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join