It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brother spyware 'predicts future crime'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Pretty sure anyone that's planning on breaching or becoming a threat to their chosen nation isn't going to be throwing it out in the land of 'social media' land for all to see.

It's just another excuse to monitor & control the civilian population!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by big_BHOY
Pretty sure anyone that's planning on breaching or becoming a threat to their chosen nation isn't going to be throwing it out in the land of 'social media' land for all to see.

It's just another excuse to monitor & control the civilian population!

Well, I think you're right to some degree but, I also think its a bit more complicated than that... I don't think there just looking to see if someone's posting "planning to blow up xxx YOLO!"

I got the impression it would be monitoring all traffic and looking for trends so, maybe you post "Obama is a criminal for sending drones to kill Americans" (for example) on facebook, and then you visit a conspiracy site (like this one) and maybe you post in a thread about gun control saying people won't stand for it and will fight back, and then maybe you visit a website that sells arms, then maybe you, in a completely unrelated search, look up the latest news on the batman shooter or sandy hook, and all of a sudden, the software flags you up as a potential 'threat to national security' because of the trends emerging from your internet use....

This is a pretty obvious and extreme example, the software will be much more subtle than this, but it stands as an example of the kind of data mining involved and the possible way in which that data is interpreted... I think it's much more sinister than just checking facebook posts to see if someone is posting their detailed plans to rob a bank on there...
edit on 12-2-2013 by Milkflavour because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
PKD would be amazed by all the movies that have been made from his novels!

If you haven't read the book VALIS yet you really have to check it out. The divine invasion is great as well.

I think computer predictor machines, at least in this area, will only reach a certain limit and then be unable to go past that limit. Consciousness on the otherhand doesn't seem to have limits

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
sounds a lot like the TV show "Person of Interest"

good show...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
But really who is dumb enough to post real information on facebook or not use proxies?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join