It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Benedict To Resign At The End Of Februrary

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
From part of his statement:

His.....

'strength of mind and body had deteriorated so greatly in the last few months that he could no longer continue with his ministry'.

To anyone with elderly relatives or experience with the elderly this really should come as no surprise. When you get to proper old age, health can deteriorate very quickly. People can go from healthy to dead in a matter of months. The guy is 85 and says he is too old and frail now. I know this is ATS but i really do not see any conspiracy here.

If i am totally honest, i bet the decision to get him on Twitter made his decision for him!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I have to agree with your post, with his age, his health can deteriorate quickly
If he has Alzheimer's Disease or dementia at an advancing stage, then there is no way he can continue.
Could his direction of the church be a factor? Who knows,but his health is the biggest problem.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Here is what I have to say about this situation...quoting myself from another thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
The man is 85 years old Advised by doctor not to take transatlantic trips because of his health.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

His.....

'strength of mind and body had deteriorated so greatly in the last few months that he could no longer continue with his ministry'.

To anyone with elderly relatives or experience with the elderly this really should come as no surprise. When you get to proper old age, health can deteriorate very quickly. People can go from healthy to dead in a matter of months. The guy is 85 and says he is too old and frail now. I know this is ATS but i really do not see any conspiracy here.

If i am totally honest, i bet the decision to get him on Twitter made his decision for him!

In other positions I would have to agree with you, however this is the pope, and as far as I am aware Popes die in their role, this is what they aspire too, dying as Gods Bishop on earth.. and a pope walking away from his duty to his flock seems an alien notion.

I hope I was succinct enough to convey the ?? that surrounds this decision.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

BBC: Pope Benedict XVI in shock resignation

Pope Benedict XVI is to resign at the end of this month after nearly eight years as the head of the Catholic Church, saying he is too old to continue at the age of 85.

The unexpected development - the first papal resignation in nearly 600 years - surprised governments, Vatican-watchers and even his closest aides.

The Vatican says it expects a new Pope to be elected before Easter.

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger became Pope in 2005 after John Paul II's death.

With the Fall of Rome, now is the time for a new saviour for a new age.

The Fall of Rome: Our saviour Condoleezza Rice vs. The Pope - YouTube

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

I just don't think it is anything conspiracy related. He is 85, in ill health and that is deteriorating rapidly. He has to make speeches, travel everywhere, face the media and now he has new technology to get the hang of (did anyone see the pic of him trying to work out Twitter?). On top of that, he has lived through the worst war in human history and in an age where we have made more progress and the world has changed more than at any other point in human history.

In short, he is old and tired and ill. I really don't blame for saying "sod it". Time to settle down and just enjoy however long he has left.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
In his state of the union speech, Obama will announce he is the new bishop of Rome

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

His.....

In other positions I would have to agree with you, however this is the pope, and as far as I am aware Popes die in their role, this is what they aspire too, dying as Gods Bishop on earth.. and a pope walking away from his duty to his flock seems an alien notion.

I can understand the question (if not some of the theories that surfaced so predictably in other posts).

He leads a global faith and his doctor has told him to stop long air travel. He also acknowledges his human frailty and believes he is no longer able to perform this demanding role. I maybe paraphrasing, but that is in effect what he has said. While it may seem an alien notion, it is not without precedent and in its own way is the act of a very humble person who acknowledges this. I for one respect what must have been a very, very difficult decision to make.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

While I would agree with you on other roles, even those of a monarchy, these guys spend all their lives aspiring to the role of leading Gods flock on earth.. For the most part they give up everything, sex, families and what not, so dying in the role is part of that whole..

I am not calling conspiracy, just placing ??? around this decision, no one gets elected to Papal seat unless they are pretty dammed old, so age and senility is not really a factor here, I am sure in time we will find out the reasons.. but right now this is odd to say the least.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian[/

To be honest though, i do not care either way. Catholicism means absolutely nothing to me so they could promote Barney the Dinosaur to Pope for all i care.

Lol thats a nice one

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeLeu

On the application form to become the pope, there needs to be a question on the page that reads,

"Have you ever been part of, or connected to a murderous dictatorial regime bent on destruction, genocide and global domination?" Yes/No

I do believe that's the very definition of the church.... catholic or otherwise

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
When I saw the news this morning, I literally said "hold sh*t". My wife asked me why I had that reaction. Even though we are Catholic, the Pope hasn't really ever come up before.

I said "nothing", but she could tell I was shocked. She insisted I tell her. She doesn't like this kind of thing. I don't blame her.

She'd rather just go through life without any awareness.

Like most people.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

His.....

I can understand the question (if not some of the theories that surfaced so predictably in other posts).

He leads a global faith and his doctor has told him to stop long air travel. He also acknowledges his human frailty and believes he is no longer able to perform this demanding role. I maybe paraphrasing, but that is in effect what he has said. While it may seem an alien notion, it is not without precedent and in its own way is the act of a very humble person who acknowledges this. I for one respect what must have been a very, very difficult decision to make.

I am sure we will agree to disagree on this, and I certainly am not calling conspiracy..
just stating this is odd.. very very odd.. and the old age simply does not wash with me..
I guess that last part is due to my upbringing, Roman Catholic.. A pope simply does not abandon his flock..

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

His.....

Problem is, over the centuries, there's been plenty of Popes who were of an advanced age and in frail health who didn't resign. Just look at the last Pope, JPII. He was in a great deal of pain and could barely speak because of terminal Parkinsons, but he didn't quit. Face it, the Papacy is a post till death. The last resignation in 1415 only occurred because of the Schism within the church, not a health problem. I smell a rat here, but the the general public will never know the truth.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Peter Turkson and Francis Arinze of Nigeria are high on the list to be chosen. Turkson is a staunch anti-Islamist and supports a central world bank.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Pope's Dove Attacked By Seagull At Holocaust Remembrance Day

www.huffingtonpost.com...=more277165

Seagull in folklore

Some believe that gulls wheeling high in the sky mean a storm is coming. Others watch for gulls moving inland in numbers to predict a storm approaching from offshore.

Read more at Suite101: Folklore of Seagulls – Myths and Old Stories | Suite101 suite101.com...
Follow us: @suite101 on Twitter | Suite101 on Facebook

A storm is coming.
edit on 102828p://bMonday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

I thought the Council of Cardinals voted on who becomes Pope? (white smoke, etc).

Anyhoo, he is in his 80's and in bad health so it isn't that surprising. For me, the really surprising bit was voting him as Pope in the first place (seeing as how he was so old and in bad health) - it was obvious from the get go he would a "short term" Pope.

You may be right. I know almost nothing about catholicism.
I wish him well though.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

Originally posted by Flavian[/

To be honest though, i do not care either way. Catholicism means absolutely nothing to me so they could promote Barney the Dinosaur to Pope for all i care.

Actually one should care, because regardless of what you think of Catholicism, these people wield a lot of power over the earth.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
This was all foretold in Revelation 17. Pope Benedict is the 7th King since the Lateran Treaty of 1929. This treaty basically recognized Vatican City as a sovereign nation. Revelation 17 states that the 7th King would have a fairly short reign:

“This calls for a mind with wisdom. The seven heads are seven hills on which the woman sits. 10 They are also seven kings. Five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come; but when he does come, he must remain for only a little while. 11 The beast who once was, and now is not, is an eighth king. He belongs to the seven and is going to his destruction.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join