It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Benedict To Resign At The End Of Februrary

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrigamiUnicorn
I have read through about 3/4 of this thread, and with the slight risk of redundancy I would like to point out that Easter falls upon March 31 this year...

That is what strikes me as peculiar...I would have said the same thing if it was nearing Christmas...for obvious reasons.

Soooo close...ya figure he could at least eek out one more...now the scramble to have the new pope by Easter...

Why resign so close to the most important holy day/season of the year for Catholicism, and Christianity for that matter?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrigamiUnicorn
Why resign so close to the most important holy day/season of the year for Catholicism, and Christianity for that matter?

Do you know the meaning of Easter for Christians? When you find out, you'll realise why he would resign at a time to get a new pope for Easter.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by bintang
Surely, the Vatican is fully aware of the Saint Malachy prophecy.

Would they really call the new Pope `Peter`? I mean, that would be wanting to fulfill the prophecy at all costs..

I thought that the new Pope chooses his own name. Is that not correct?
2nd

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by VitaminQ

www.telegraph.co.uk...

This maybe?^^^

Says years earlier not days or weeks...

Jesus birthday was actually somewhere betwix July and September...gonna look for some links...but the date of December 25 was adopted to correlate with pagan ceremonies centered around the winter solstice when absorbing and converting pagan groups into Christianity...so it goes.
edit on 11-2-2013 by OrigamiUnicorn because: Just clarifying...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by salainen

Yes, I do know the significance...I was being rhetorical...

I seemed to be the only one in this thread noticing how close this news is to the Easter holiday and was surprised no one else mentioned it in fifteen or so pages...
edit on 11-2-2013 by OrigamiUnicorn because: Clarification

edit on 11-2-2013 by OrigamiUnicorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by VitaminQ

The longest and final motto reads in the original Latin:

In ꝑſecutione extre- ma S.R.E. ſedebit. Petrus Romanus, qui paſcet oues in mul- tis tribulationibus: quibus tranſactis ci- uitas ſepticollis di- ruetur, & Iudex tre mẽdus iudicabit po pulum ſuum. Finis.

This is usually translated into English as:

"In the extreme persecution of the Holy Roman Church, there will sit [i.e., as bishop]. Peter the Roman, who will pasture his sheep in many tribulations: and when these things are finished, the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the terrible judge will judge his people. The End."

From the Wiki:

However, in the 1595 Lignum Vitae, the line "In persecutione extrema S.R.E. sedebit." forms a separate sentence and paragraph of its own, and it is unclear whether it is grammatically related to Gloria Olivae which precedes it, or to Petrus Romanus, which follows it.

There is a claim[72] that the original list written by St. Malachy does not contain a reference to Petrus Romanus and that the last lines were added to the printed text in Wyon's Lignum Vitæ. This, however, probably cannot be proved, as the original manuscript (if any) probably no longer exists.

Wiki "Prophecy of the Popes"

So, if this is all factual, it is unknown the ownership of the line translating to: "In the extreme persecution of the Holy Roman Church, there will sit [i.e., as bishop]." - our current Pope or his replacement. Could it belong to Pope Benedict XVI? Is this the actual reason he is stepping down? Or does the line belong to his replacement? What are these extreme persecutions?

My bets on Peter Kodwo Appiah Turkson (the next and last pope). If its not, then what are they gonna scrawl into that empty Wiki table body?

I have really no words about the prophecy other than "we will wait and see". I'm not gonna leap to conclusions.. I know I'm going to see what I want to see. Then again... it all fits so perfectly...

Well- I am a conspiracy theorist after all.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Just been re-reading an old book about St Malachy...

So the theory is that Raztinger = the second last pope because he is connected to the phrase "of the olive" from malachy's prophecy because he chose the name Benidict, and the coat of arms of the Benitictine monks includes and olive branch.

Yet Ratzinger CHOSE the papal name Benidict himself on his coronation. Given his background and carreer history, he had to have been aware of the Malachian prophecies, seems to me he either wanted to perpetuate the conspiracy or he might actually believe there is something in it?

If the next guy calls himself 'peter' then we know they are playing with us.

For the record, I dont support or believe in prophecy of any kind, least of all the dubious history of malachy's prophecies which were mysterieously 'found' centuries after his death which opens up the possibility that the ealier prophecies (which seem to be more accurate) were faked after the reign of the popes that they were supposed to have 'predicted' and the later ones get more and more tenuous as the years and popes went by.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

Is this his H., Youth photo? I always thought it was a rumor, how creepy.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeLeu

On the application form to become the pope, there needs to be a question on the page that reads,

"Have you ever been part of, or connected to a murderous dictatorial regime bent on destruction, genocide and global domination?" Yes/No

You do know that in those days, service was compulsory; he did not volunteer. And he went AWOL as soon as he could.

Neither Ratzinger nor any member of his immediate family joined the NSDAP (Nazi Party). Ratzinger’s father was critical of the Nazi government, and as a result the family had to move four times before he was ten years old.

None of this is remarkable, however, because the same happened with other German Catholic families. Although many German Catholic leaders were willing to work with the Nazis, many individual Catholics and Catholic priests resisted as best they could, refusing to cooperate with a political regime they regarded as anti-Catholic at best and the embodiment of evil at worst. source

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I would suspect the following page to see a large increase of web traffic...

ST MALACHY,THE PROPHECY of 112 POPES

IF RATZINGER IS NOT THE DOOMSDAY POPE, HE WILL HAVE A SHORT REIGN AS POPE AND BE REPLACED BY POPE # 112, PETER THE ROMAN, PETRAS ROMANUS, WHO WILL ACCEPT THE ANTICHRIST AS THE MESSIAH AND LEAD ONE BILLION CATHOLICS TO WORSHIP THE DEVIL'S SON!

Does that mean one billion catholics will no longer worship god, or become satanists?

I've never felt so lucky to be born into these interesting times.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OrigamiUnicorn

It was mentioned.
2nd

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I guess it has nothing to do with him being 85 and realizing that there are better things to do in life than to die on the job.

Cmon people.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGinty
I know it's a long shot, but could the reason possibly be that he's 85 and he's knackered?

I'm less than half his age and i'd find his responsibilities pretty exhausting.

Maybe there is indeed something else afoot, but unless a decent clue comes to light, the doomsayers piping in with the End is Nigh crap are sounding very desperate.

AMEN! I think with John Paul II, they knew he was going to be dying soon anyways so that's why he kept the office, with Benedict, he isn't nearly as weak as his predecessor but wants to step aside feeling that someone younger than him can do a better job, be more active etc. From what I've read of St. Malachy's prophecy, the final one of 'Peter the Roman' and the entire prophecy, didn't show up for like 400 years after Malachy died. And if you follow scripture at all (and I know that it's been tampered with by men and all), it says that the Father in Heaven alone knows when the end is, even Jesus couldn't tell the Apostles when He was still on Earth.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd

Originally posted by magma
reply to post by theAnswer1111

Who will take his place?

It will have to be one of the Kardashians, surely...

My guess is Obama

What can this man not do, I ask you?

Leader of the free world.
Nobel Prize Winner.
And now, da Black Pope...
(each and every hard fought against the odds)

This is one badass long legged mack Daddy..!!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Indeed, if it's a papal election would Benedict be entitled to vote? Could he return to be Cardinal Ratzinger, or does he lose all positions in the church?

If entitled to vote, could he steer to his choice of successor?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma
reply to post by theAnswer1111

Who will take his place?

It will have to be one of the Kardashians, surely...
I cannot believe this post has so many stars. Really.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Roobix

ATS please help yourself. This kind of response is unfit.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by RelSciHistItSufi

I've just hunted around, not knowing the answer, and found a WIKI reference to the last election, saying that only Cardinals under 80 are now eligable to vote.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RelSciHistItSufi
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Indeed, if it's a papal election would Benedict be entitled to vote? Could he return to be Cardinal Ratzinger, or does he lose all positions in the church?

If entitled to vote, could he steer to his choice of successor?

From what was mentioned earlier, Cardinal Ratzinger will retire at a convent and do what he has been seeking to do for the last twenty five years; read and write in peace. He will not be able to cast a ballot for the next Bishop of Rome.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
so some guys resigning from a religion that theres no actual prove any of its true? no offence but i coudn,t give 2 hoots

god is as elusive as finding life elsewhere but most people are 100% sure he exists but i,m a nut cause i,m more sure life exists elsewhere than some superior being......don,t figure.
l
edit on 2011 by sparky31 because: wrong spelling

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join