It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horse meat scandal may have hit the whole of Europe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Greetings all,

The current scandal concerning Findus pre packed meat products has also hit France and is taking the headlines in MSM over here.

The link provided says that all sides are now threatening to sue each other over this affair which is taking large proportions as Findus products are sold throughout the whole of Europe (not sure about other countries outside of the EU?).

www.france24.com...

Personally i think that the problem lies within Romania as this country is riddled with mafia owned companies and smothered in corruption!

Heres another link about the spread to France :

www.news24.com...

Quote : Reflecting the complexity of European food supply chains, the meat has been traced from France through Cyprus and The Netherlands to Romanian abattoirs.

Doesn't it make you think about what other products are in are pre-packed foods?

I am not a vegetarian myself and only when possible purchase meat from local farms but maybe some of you out there might be interested as to what actually goes on your plates. I purchased a book last year called Eating animals by Jonathan Safran Boer, see article in the guardian here :

www.guardian.co.uk...

Pretty good well research journalistic book that really makes things clear!

Your thoughts ATSers?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Hi Rodinus, thread already here.... www.abovetopsecret.com...

Probably too soon for it to appear on the search function.
edit on 11/2/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Whoops, thank you Woog, i got carried away there before doing a proper search.

Many apologies for wasting valuable ATS space all.

Mods please remove if deemed neccessary.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Don't worry about it dude, I've fell victim to the "writing the same thread at the same time as another poster", it sucks even more when yours is the better, more informed thread.

It takes time for stuff to appear on the search unfortunately.

(just gave you a S+F for your effort, lol)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by Rodinus

Don't worry about it dude, I've fell victim to the "writing the same thread at the same time as another poster", it sucks even more when yours is the better, more informed thread.

It takes time for stuff to appear on the search unfortunately.

(just gave you a S+F for your effort, lol)

And heres your star for being so nice... rare thing methinks nowadays!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
The first person to post something along the lines of: "I don't see what the big deal is, horse meat is full of protein and tastes fine to me. I'll carry on eatting it" quite frankly needs hung, drawn, and quartering....utter half-wits!
edit on 11-2-2013 by Just Chris because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris
The first person to post something along the lines of: "I don't see what the big deal is, horse meat is full of protein and tastes fine to me. I'll carry on eatting it" quite frankly needs hung, drawn, and quartering....utter half-wits!

Absolutely. I'm not a great meat eater, however!! if it says Beef or whatever on the packaging then it should be beef.
We all have the right to know what we are eating.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Much agreed,

Im not that bothered if i have any kind of meat on my plate as long as it has been correctly traced from the field to the shop or restaurant.

However, any kind of product which is to be used for human consumption should be correctly labeled and state EXACTLY what is in the package IMO.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Just Chris

Hi Just,

I believe that you will find that quite a lot of people actually do eat horse meat and arguments will be made over the nutritional values of horse meat over beef.

See this link for more additional info : science.kqed.org...

However it is also known that many cultures will not eat horse meat for personal ethical reasons, which is quite understandable and should be respected.

Funny thing for me is that i originate from the UK and now live in a country where eating horse meat is a norm and does not shock the majority of the people here, it took me about 10 years before i decided to take a step forward and at least try horse meat and to be quite honest i didn't see or taste much difference!

For personal ethical reasons i myself will not purchase horse meat for the simple reason that i grew up with horses and there is just... well, you know, something about horses that says that they shouldn't be used as food... I prefer beef, venison or game meats (which is much healthier for you so they say... venison and game meats that is!)

Anyway... products should still be correctly labeled.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 11-2-2013 by Rodinus because: MEGA spelling mistake!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I've got a horrible feeling there is a lot more to this horse meat scandal.

Maybe they have put something in the horse meat which escapes testing procedures that are done on the beef?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
I've got a horrible feeling there is a lot more to this horse meat scandal.

Maybe they have put something in the horse meat which escapes testing procedures that are done on the beef?

Certainly, it's about cost-cutting.

See this article below about Romanian's selling their old and tired horses to abattoir's ahead of shipment to the UK for £100 a piece: www.dailymail.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

join