It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thread/Account idea's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I've noticed a few negative comments concerning the way the ats forum works. Personaly, having messed with several forums on my own server, I think this one works well, I like it alot.

Here's a couple of idea's I'd like to see added to the forum engine.

1. The ability for the OP to answer (just once) directly into the replies. Why? Because on a fast moving thread the OP's answer to a reply could be a page or two away. I think it would be a much more natural experience if op could answer directly into the replies. OP's answer could be a different color text to make it obvious.

2. Stars & Flags. Quite often while in my acount pages I notice the flag or star count increase. Sometimes I might see this happen a number of times in just a minute or two. This always intrigues me and I want to know what it is thats being stared or flagged.
Now, when you have several thousands posts and many threads it can be almost impossible to locate where the activity is. So, in our acount pages could we have a list of our last ten posts that received star or flag activity? It would help those who contribute threads.

3. Can I trade my points for dollars?

Please add your own suggestions.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
1) Cool idea, but it would be difficult without adding a "cluttered" feeling to the threads....

2) I don't know about that, I frequently check my messages/replied to area to see who has responded to me. As far as stars and flags go, I don't know... ATS members are pretty vain about that already.

3) Fully agree! Money, yes definitely.
But honestly, wouldn't mind a free t shirt: "I got 50,000 flags, and all I got was this T shirt." right on the front!

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Those are some good ideas, Void. Not sure how complex it would be to implement them the way ATS is currently structured, but still, worthy of note!

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I love the ideas and would vote strongly for another. It's a simple thing and I'd think someone back in Staff-Land (That place of myth and legend where strange things happen) can code it in, pretty simply too.

A simple button marked "AtoD" or something to that effect and making a simple message of

'Agree to Disagree - Disengaging'

There really IS no graceful way to make an exit on some threads and I can't help but think it sometimes goes a step or two beyond because an easy way to leave without losing face isn't available. I'd say the one declaring it mean they are off the thread, not just picking and choosing which piece to chat on ..but also declaring a truce for more not being said to provoke. It seems a mid-way thing that couldn't hurt and might even help on some?

Just my reoccurring dream of a little feature to wake up to some day.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I love the ideas and would vote strongly for another. It's a simple thing and I'd think someone back in Staff-Land (That place of myth and legend where strange things happen) can code it in, pretty simply too.

A simple button marked "AtoD" or something to that effect and making a simple message of

There really IS no graceful way to make an exit on some threads and I can't help but think it sometimes goes a step or two beyond because an easy way to leave without losing face isn't available. I'd say the one declaring it mean they are off the thread, not just picking and choosing which piece to chat on ..but also declaring a truce for more not being said to provoke. It seems a mid-way thing that couldn't hurt and might even help on some?

Just my reoccurring dream of a little feature to wake up to some day.

1st. You can just say that in the thread, so why add something.

2nd. I'm not sure it would work. Even if you declared your removal from the thread, something may come up that you would want to re-engage in the thread. How would you quantify that?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

1st. You can just say that in the thread, so why add something.

I'm thinking of plenty of 'combat' threads I've been on or just lurked to observe, without participating. The kind where it's not unheard of to see a ban or even two come out of things by the end.

By the time something like that would be appreciated as a graceful way of exiting a thread that evolved into fighting, in my opinion, things have usually reached a point that saying a variation 'off the cuff' can be as combative as anything else. lol...

Just my two cents in the idea jar though. Maybe a variation sometime.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
1) Cool idea, but it would be difficult without adding a "cluttered" feeling to the threads....

2) I don't know about that, I frequently check my messages/replied to area to see who has responded to me. As far as stars and flags go, I don't know... ATS members are pretty vain about that already.

3) Fully agree! Money, yes definitely.
But honestly, wouldn't mind a free t shirt: "I got 50,000 flags, and all I got was this T shirt." right on the front!

1. After giving it a little more thought I realise that there would be problems, for example we'd have to keep going back up the thread to see whether op had added anything, but I still like the idea, just needs some genius to make it work.

2. "ATS members are pretty vain about that already" Agreed. However I like to know what it is that makes people respond, a reply to a post gets listed, but if I've made a post that doesnt recieve replies, but does recieve stars I have no way of knowing which post it was. Occasionaly I notice the star count may jump quite a lot and I want to know what it is thats getting the attention.

3. Ok, I'm not a T-shirt person, how about shares from the advertising revenue

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Those are some good ideas, Void. Not sure how complex it would be to implement them the way ATS is currently structured, but still, worthy of note!

Hi Fission, I always look out for your posts, nice to see your still here, havent seen you around for a while, thought maybe the MIB had got you

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I actualy think thats a good idea. Yes it can easily be typed as a reply but when people are ready for war! they might find it easier to just thump the AtoD button

new topics

top topics

join