It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weather Fear Mongering anyone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I had to post this as it has been bugging me for the past few months, Our local weather has been mild now for almost two years but the weather sites on the internet keep claiming doom and gloom.

To us here it seems like they are almost or maybe are paid to do this.

I was out in my tee shirt and a light jacket (spring coat) shoveling slushy snow, but yet they are claiming a wind chill factor as low as -16 C ......garbage forcast......

Sunday Partly cloudy in the morning, then overcast with a chance of snow and rain showers. High of 2C with a windchill as low as -16C. Breezy. Winds from the SSE at 10 to 25 km/h. Chance of snow 40%.

Here is the site with all of our current weather forecasts and let me tell you they are calling for windchill factors way beyond what is even possible.

classic.wunderground.com...

I actually had a hat on and threw it onto my truck as I was sweating heavily during my outing in -16 C winds .......

All last week same thing freezing cold winds, even when we got that so-called blizzard the temps were very mild to the point my snow blower was jamming up due to the wet melting snow.

If you check out the local link I provided I can guarantee you that there will be negative wind chill factor for all of this week but they will continue to put that crap on their web site.

Day in and day out they forecast extreme windchill factors and it never happens and never has all of this winter.

Ahhh summer is almost here with humid ex readings sure to be in the stratosphere

Any thoughts or comparisons?
edit on 10-2-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Well I'm not from there so I can't speak for the weather, but

they actually do pay a weather person to read the forecast.

I know when they tell us here that it's going to be 42c over the weekend, they're not wrong

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I think I've spent most of the "winter" in t-shirts or windbreakers. Not a single school day missed to snow and I recall my first winter in this area had snow on the porch to use as a solid base for the Halloween Pumpkin. That's hard for my son to believe and it was only the 90's for crying out loud.

Man made? No.... Worse in my opinion. Man made would suggest a problem created by and so within the ability of man to fix. Cycles don't fix or break...they just are and they do happen. Again and again. The dust bowl marked one and many go back before it in cycles. This is already worse for soil moisture and area impacted, BTW.

Nature isn't cute when she's feeling feisty.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
It bugs me as well. The biggest culprit by far is the weather channel, who took it upon themselves to start naming winter storms this year to add more hype and boost ratings. They also purchased weather underground. I get my weather straight from the national weather service website, it all comes from there anyway.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
It looks to me they are attempting to create a winter on paper and on the internet.
Every day I check the forecasts and every day it sure looks and sounds like winter, but every day I step outside it is a whole different ball game.

With this "winter" season almost finished it has been two straight years now since we have had any weather even close to resembling winter.

Two measurable snows this season and both were followed directly by warm rainy days.
I believe we received about 8/10 inches on this Friday past, looking out the window now our lawn is almost bare and not a flake of snow on the roof.

Last year we had one measurable snow and it was gone within two days and that was it for the season.

In this area right now snomobiles are a dime a dozen with no takers..

Today they are claiming a wind chill of -4C and I was just out back for a smoke and there is no windchill what so ever.

The storm we got in December was at the most 6 inches of snow and our local paper had the headlines of City is blasted with winter blizzard!
Tons of pictures of the devastation, good thing they took them early in the day because by nightfall the snow was gone.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
reply to post by Iwinder

Well I'm not from there so I can't speak for the weather, but

they actually do pay a weather person to read the forecast.

I know when they tell us here that it's going to be 42c over the weekend, they're not wrong

Thanks for the laugh, Yes I suppose everyone is paid to do what they do.
As far as the weather goes they have been wrong here for over two years, by that I mean grossly over estimating how much snow we get and how cold it is going to be.

This year it is much more obvious than the year without winter (last year).

The Great Lakes are shrinking (evaporating) largely due to lack of ice.
The way things are going there is going to be zero spring run off into the lakes and that is pretty well guaranteed now.

No ice cover and no run off is bad bad news for everybody in the Midwest and Eastern North America.

But yet they still forecast cold cold weather, which never never arrives.

Tomorrow is forecast to be a high of 1C with a wind chill of -9C I can almost assure you I will be out back having a smoke in my tee shirt and light coat then.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Agreed, I am seeing a trend to over forecast winter conditions when there are in fact no winter conditions present..

This is a constant thing, when you live in a area that is prone or was prone to sever winter weather you pay attention as we have been doing.

After two years of paying attention I am seeing a real lack of forecasting and a real big exaggeration of what the reality is.

What would people do in the really heavy tornado prone areas in the US if day in and day out they were told to take shelter and nothing happened?

Well that is what has happened here for the past 48 months and then some in what used to be a major snow belt area where if you don't listen to them you could perish easily.

We will see just how cold tomorrow is with the -9C windchill yet the temp is forecast to be 1C

I will let you know after coming in from a smoke in my tee shirt.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cleverhans

Good post and I agree winter storms do not need to be named.
Is it for ratings or something else I have no idea.

In Canada we name the storms on our own here, for instance 4 years ago we got a big one followed by 3 smaller ones all in the span of a week.
Probably close to 45 inches on flat ground and 6 to 10 feet where it drifted.

We called them " just another winter"

Not now but many thanks for your post and wisdom.

Regards, Iwinder

top topics

join