It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large tornado hits Hattiesburg

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
WDAM Live Feed

News article, I'm sure it will update with more info as it comes in
www.hattiesburgamerican.com...

This was just coming in off my facebook -

It has passed through Hattiesburg and is headed onto waynesboro

Here are a few images of the destruction caused via 28storms.com Facebook page

- I am not from the US, So I don't know the areas, so if anyone is from these places, chime in and help out if others are wondering about suburbs etc etc - I'll do my best to find and add a news article to the top - but like I said, these are coming straight off peoples phones to facebook, so there might be nothing in the news just yet

- Just in from 28storms.com facebook again, "CONFIRMED Tornado on the ground 10 miles S of Waynesboro moving NE at 35MPH"

edit on 10/2/2013 by bkaust because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Yeah I'm in Mobile. There are 4 tornado warnings just north of here. The crazy thing is that they are one after the other in a line.

I'm just glad my wife and daughter didn't drive back from Oklahoma today. They go right through Hattiesburg.

We've had an unbelievable amount of severe weather this winter. Very strange stuff.

edit on 10-2-2013 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Interesting that the young dude who took the video when under stress could only exclaim "Oh, snap! Oh, snap!" I've heard that expression, but didn't realize it was so ingrained in the youth that it's vocalized automatically under a surprise stress situation.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

Very lucky for your wife and daughter! I'm glad they are safe

Yeah, I remember in Australia hearing more about your tornados around our late autumn/winter season, now it seems like late January onwards is the new norm!

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Here's another from a cell phone in the area - it looks pretty thick!

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Wow! That's some severe damage, even if extremely localized. Anyone in the path of this storm, take cover! Please!

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

"oh, snap!" Is definitely not what i'd be saying!

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Prayers for those in the middle of it.

Many lives will be turned upside down in a blink of an eye.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Neat.....Well not so neat for the people who lost their homes. It's nice to get the news quickly, it would be tomorrow evening before I would get this.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It is a scary thing hearing tornado sirens and it pouring and windy outside. Almost like you are in a movie. Anyway, hope everyone from there is alright.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Wow, that's a beast.

I've been in a car running from a storm cell before, and it was truly one of the most terrifying experiences in my life. I cannot for the life of my imagine something on this scale though, my lord.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by bkaust

Neat.....Well not so neat for the people who lost their homes. It's nice to get the news quickly, it would be tomorrow evening before I would get this.

I guess that's one of the only real positive aspects of facebook and similar social media, it allows that instant communication and photos of events happening as they happen! for a lot of people (myself included) I rarely watch tv, unless it's a scheduled program that I'm wanting to catch, so many of us are online or on our phones, not watching tv and radio, so can't catch the warnings on there as they pop up (IF they pop up, seems like all the bigger stories are broken this way lately)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I just knew the southeast was going to get a tornado outbreak.

I was going to post a "head's up" thread yesterday, but got busy and didn't do it. Why would I? Because the winds out here in west Texas yesterday were exceptionally strong and stayed that way all day. Whenever that happens, it preceeds a tornado outbreak somewhere in the south, when the cold dry air from here hits the moisture laden air from the gulf. I don't have to watch the weather channel (and didn't, in fact...watched movies all day because it was too windy and dusty outside, bad for breathing).

In the two years I've lived out here in No Man's Land, the wind never lies. Ever. Very sad for the people affected. Tornadoes can be the most frightening force in nature. I guess we're starting our spring insanity early this year. My sympathies for the people involved in these horrible storms.

edit on 10-2-2013 by FissionSurplus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Another early season. It seems like tornado season is getting earlier and earlier for some reason.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

I always read your warning threads Fission, you're always dead on about it. People make a fuss, but you say what you see and always seem to be right on the money!

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I live in Louisiana and we had tornados on Christmas Day. The season definitely appears to be getting longer and longer!

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust
reply to post by FissionSurplus

I always read your warning threads Fission, you're always dead on about it. People make a fuss, but you say what you see and always seem to be right on the money!

Thanks, bkaust. I'm not here to toot my horn, I'm just kicking myself that I didn't post a warning....not that it would have made much of a difference, but I was quite disturbed over the very vicious winds yesterday. The dust was so incredibly thick it was like a very cloudy day, although there were no clouds, just a nasty blanket of dust. The few times I went outside I had a hard time standing up, and my eyes were tearing from the sand-blasting they were getting.

This wind continued until just a few hours ago today. Very unusual to have strong winds of this nature for over 24 hours straight. So I knew. I saw something from popular forecaster on Facebook yesterday and posted on there to keep aware, but I cannot tell what state it's going to hit. I just know that, somewhere to the east, somebody's going to get it.

This is unusual to get these type of winds this time of year. Spring is definitely starting up early. These high wind events tend to be most ominous in the fall and spring. I've noticed our temps steadily rising as the weeks go by, and we're not even to the middle of February yet. And we're DRY.....no moisture for a long time. Our biggest crop out here seems to be dust.

I'm not liking the way the weather is behaving AT ALL....not just for here, but all over.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Wow, this is really some heavy structural damage! From USM Alumni house
28storms.com Facebook

edit on 10/2/2013 by bkaust because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MmmPie
Wow, that's a beast.

I've been in a car running from a storm cell before, and it was truly one of the most terrifying experiences in my life. I cannot for the life of my imagine something on this scale though, my lord.

Wrong vehicle! Wrong direction! And...Wrong emotion!

It's much more exhilarating being in a heavy 4x4, running to intercept a storm cell displaying characteristics necessary for tornadic activity!

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
Interesting that the young dude who took the video when under stress could only exclaim "Oh, snap! Oh, snap!" I've heard that expression, but didn't realize it was so ingrained in the youth that it's vocalized automatically under a surprise stress situation.

He's not using that as slang....He says it, every time a tree is broken in half...

<<   2 >>

join