It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Facebook Makes You Feel Bad About Yourself

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

facebook is for those that require recognition and attention..

It's also for those who find it a useful way to keep in touch with friends and family.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

It's also for those who find it a useful way to keep in touch with friends and family.

To me that isn't a good enough reason for me and it seems to be the standard answer.

People could e-mail,use skype,msn,text message or just use the phone and call them if you really wanted to get in touch.
I refuse to text message so if someone wants to say something they will have to call me like the old days.

Facebook is useless to me as I have many other ways of keeping in touch as I mentioned above.
I can't think of one reason why people NEED it,its a want,not a need.

To the OP.
I got rid of facebook alooooong time ago out of frustration of seeing idiotic and pointless updates.
I felt like I was losing IQ points every time I logged in.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Facebook photos of your friends on vacation or celebrating a birthday party can make you feel lousy.

Thats why I don't have one.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
facebook is for those that require recognition and attention..

Not everyone. I use it for a one stop place to get updates on shows or movies that I like.. I have exactly 2 friends on there and I dont even talk to them.
Plus, its got ANGRY BIRDS

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish
It's well known that more and more people are using facebook, and generally a person will access their facebook account at least once a day. Everyone should be familiar with the facebook log in page, on one of the illustrations of that log in page is the familiar map with the icon people then with lines connecting them. If you look closely you can see those lines form a loose, subliminal, spelling of the word "sex".

(the picture is how I feel the subliminal is most powerful, though the middle E I think is easier for the mind to see as a lower case E )

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
reply to post by Byrd

I would argue it perhaps brings your own feelings to the surface, rather than directly making you feel bad (or "envy, misery and loneliness") about yourself.

I do not think words or images by themselves are enough to change your attitude. They can however enhance feelings already there.

I think you make an excellent point -- that what's happening is that it enhances your underlying feelings. One of my friends posts pictures of beautiful houses. I don't have any desire to move, so looking at the houses just gives me kind of an "oh, neat!" feeling but no real "Ugh! My house is a mess and so ugly. My life would be so much better if I could live *there*" reaction.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
Long story short: Even if we don't have a reason to feel bad about ourselves. Just being exposed to the constant feed of information about others - even if it's nothing to really envy or respect - is enough to bog us down and toss us into a fugue.

~Heff

Excellent and insightful points!

We have become addicts to this kind of information, and it's a constant feedback loop (as you said) that's hard to step away from. It's a problem that we will have to resolve as a society in the future.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS!!!

Facebook membership trends show people are opting out!!

Check out this website:

6 month interval on FB membership stats

This shows you over the last 6 months, nearly every country is in the green.

1 month interval on FB membership stats

You can clearly see nearly all countries are now in the red for last months membership changes.

Way to go people!!

edit on 11-2-2013 by nomnom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
reply to post by VoidHawk

That's The Onion. From their website:

The Onion is a satirical weekly publication published 52 times a year on Thursdays.

www.theonion.com...

So no, it is not real.

But this is: www.dailymail.co.uk... 5GIUz

Facebook (by proxy of Instagram) owns the content you upload to your profile.

Company claims the right to use any uploaded photos or user data to promote its partners' products Company claims the right to use any uploaded photos, OR USER DATA ...
(emphasis added)

You agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos... in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions without any compensation to you

So you all have fun watching hundreds of people spam your wall with an endless string of useless memes, while Facebook helps itself to photos of your children you posted while they were in the bath and sells them to "another entity" for God knows what reason.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
So sorry folks, I am one of those idiotic, ignorant, IQ dropped foolish people who does go to facebook.... And if in the future I find my IQ building up, I will flee this evil social media and probably find one that is filled with Einsteins.... Like ATS..)-;

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

en.wikipedia.org... li

subliminalmanipulation.blogspot.com...

You make a valid point, at times a person's own mind can see patterns in actual random patterns, however; one has to be able to discern what is random and what is intentional. Based on the actual research and real world application of subliminal messages, as well as a threshold of information out there compiling instances reflecting the word 'sex' hidden in public places, I would consider that this particular instance - the facebook page with the hidden 'sex' word - to be an actual case of intentional subliminal messaging. Which, as I mentioned in my post, is a direct agenda to make people be put into the base desire parts of their mind before even logging into facebook - thus ensuring facebook is used majority-wise for the most base desire thigns and not any higher intellectual, political or real world sovling things like it could in fact have the potential to be used for. Of course, this would subscribe a person to conclude that 'someone, somewhere' actually designed it that way, which not all are willing to accept ( see my signature J Hoover quote
). Thanks for the response.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Only reason i use face book(once a week, mayb) it make it so it easy to plan things.

If you are a planner(my friends don't plan, i end up planning sht) you would know how annoying it is to plan things on phone, tell them where and when to arrive, keep updating....... its annoying.

I just make an event on Facebook and send invites.... and wait for people to accept, if not , its cancelled.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I don't know what your talking about I have over 350 friends only sign in twice a week and only talk to 3% of my friends list.

Seem to be ok to me.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Facebook is a place where people go to escape their real life. The people that are glued to it, constantly updating their status messages and posting things, do they really have a life? No. Chances are if you find someone's page and it's empty or sparse, they're the one with a life. I'm too busy to sit around and mess with that crap all day. I go to work, and at night before i sleep i usually get on here but that's about it. How people have time to stay on there all day i have no idea.

There's a world out there and id much rather be in it doing something than stuck inside doing something useless.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join