It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US To Use Drones In Chris Dorner Manhunt

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by threewisemonkeys
reply to post by SpaDe_

Oh come on. Lets all jump on Hopechest's bandwagon. The drone wont kill him, don't be so ludicrous. It will merely impede him by firing Me To You bears and Hershey's Kisses. Well if they deploy the child friendly ones.

I failed to read that part where they were using the care drone, my bad.

link   
Yep, personally I expected they would deploy (properly equipped) drones early on. They may have, and we will find that out later. Dorner would expect this as well, so he probably didn't plan to be in sight of a thermal scanning drone/heli such as in Big Bear.

Small heli drones will be useless in this search unless they're willing to invade privacy of homes. Hand launched drones and up would be useful but personally I think he is indoors somewhere.

When someone does something like this and is not immediately found, you will see the newest most innovative ways used to locate them. Someone asked earlier if thermal can see in windows - no they cannot (they only see temperature) but other optics can of course.

Dorner looks familiar to some of you but can't quite place why, huh?

link   
Well, a Hellfire missile ($60-70,000) would be cheaper than the million dollar reward plus the expense of trials and appeals before they execute him. Plus a trial would give him a platform. I don't imagine if the cops find him he will go to trial anyway. He is literally a dead man walking and the only question that remains is how many more will he kill. Although, if he starts sniping at the Grammys tonight it might get interesting.

The point about the police use of an Apache helicopter, couldn't it end a high speed chase quickly?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
No one will react if this drone locates him and the force brings him in. It will be hailed as a wonderful tool. Then they will slowly become armed. I really wouldn't doubt if the public is apathetic if he was shot down by a drone, I just don't think that is going to be done yet. But it will be done in the near future. This is gonna happen, armed drones against citizens, judge jury and executioner all rolled into one piece of " cheaper " technology coming to a town near you!
edit on 10-2-2013 by stonebutterfly because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Bramble Iceshimmer

Why don't you people pay attention?

www.psmag.com...

That is the police dept. weaponized drone..

It shoots tazers and bean bags...
that's it, no missiles...

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by stonebutterfly
No one will react if this drone locates him and the force brings him in. It will be hailed as a wonderful tool. Then they will slowly become armed. I really wouldn't doubt if the public is apathetic if was shot down by a drone, I just think that is going to be done yet. But it will be done in the near future. This is gonna happen, armed drones against citizens, judge jury and executioner all rolled into one piece of " cheaper " technology coming to a town near you!

I'm so forgetful, could you please remind what year they started arming helicopters and firing on US citizens? Surely if they are working on arming drones, then they have been using similar technology on other flying machines for decades, right?

I sure do wish folks would drop the BS, scaremongering, paranoid rhetoric. It's old, tired and outright false. Get over yourselves and your hope to make one accurate prediction out of your millions of failed attempts.
edit on 10-2-2013 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove

www.psmag.com...

And why can't you understand that when you give them an inch they take a mile? They have used the police non lethal versions for regular civilian use, this guy to them is not a regular civilian. Do you see the problem? They are looking at this guy as an enemy combatant. If you don't believe that then why did they shoot up a innocent civilians vehicle without identifying who was inside?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Air Force components may, at times, require newly collected or archived domestic imagery to perform certain missions. Domestic imagery is defined as any imagery collected by satellite (national or commercial) and airborne platforms that cover the land areas of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, and the territories and possessions of the US, to a 12 nautical mile seaward limit of these land areas.
(end of Page 9)
Linkage to PDF

also middle of page 10 (This is becoming a good read!)

9.6.2. Air Force Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) operations, exercise and training missions will not conduct nonconsensual surveillance on specifically identified US persons, unless ex pressly approved by the Secretary of Defense, consistent with US law and regulations. Civil law enforcement agencies, such as the US Customs and Border Patrol (CBP), Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI), US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and the US Coast Guard, will control any such data collected.

Police departments would be able to access military drones if they needed/wanted to via FBI help. Does it mean they are using it in this case? maybe, they did not say specifically. also these spy drones are secret so little to no information is out there on which drones they are using... but this points out that yes police can have access to mil drones if they want/need it.
edit on 2/10/2013 by ugie1028 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace

No one will react if this drone locates him and the force brings him in. It will be hailed as a wonderful tool. Then they will slowly become armed. I really wouldn't doubt if the public is apathetic if was shot down by a drone, I just think that is going to be done yet. But it will be done in the near future. This is gonna happen, armed drones against citizens, judge jury and executioner all rolled into one piece of " cheaper " technology coming to a town near you!

I'm so forgetful, could you please remind what year they started arming helicopters and firing on US citizens? Surely if they are working on arming drones, then they have been using similar technology on other flying machines for decades, right?

I sure do wish folks would drop the BS, scaremongering, paranoid rhetoric. It's old, tired and outright false. Get over yourselves and your hope to make one accurate prediction out of your millions of failed attempts.

Yeah, maybe the paranoia is all getting to be too much.
Maybe were (myself included) are just suffering from the shell shock of so many violent and twisted events. Anyway, I hope my gut feeling is wrong and I hope you're right and we all just need to get over ourselves. Just hope no one else gets hurt in this particular event, conspiracy or not.

-TheGhoster
edit on 10-2-2013 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The reality is that technology is the way of the future. We personally want faster, cheaper, and more reliable gadgets and I'm sure the government does as well. I am not for drones in the sky, special face recognition cameras, speed trap cameras, sophisticated ID's, body screening devices, etc...but the reality is there is very little I can do about it. It is a part of the time we live in and the future to where we are headed.

Sure I could start a petition at Whitehouse.com, protest, write a letter, help get someone voted out etc...but IMO it isn't going to slow the growing demand for more technology.

Peace

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I read part of Dorner's 18 page manifesto and it seems like he was in the process of trying to take down some of the higher ups in the LAPD on allegations of corruption and illegal dealings. Part of his issue is grievance filing. He's filed grievances and reports of misconduct on several other officers and he's made it pretty clear that there has been multiple accounts of retaliation on him for that.

After they fired him he continued to pursue justice to get these guys out of seats of power in LA. He says that they were officers during rodney king era and other such instances and although the technology has changed etc their policies still remain the same.

I can't say that retaliation by form of framing him is too far fetched. If they're going as far as trying to frame this guy then he may really have some dirt on these guys. I would advise him to get to the nearest FBI office with as much of his proof as he can and request protection from them. If he has any weapons on him he would be wise to get rid of them.

Drone's being used to capture him may be a little unnecessary but I can see their use in legitimate cases where there are people and manhunts that definitely need drones being applied. The problem is having such a powerful tool in the hands of those who would use it to exact revenge or to quiet someone who "knows to much"

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
You know that police forces may upgrade their technology to save money in the long run and that's probably what they are doing by switching to drones.

"saving money" omg... yes please tell me how much money your country saved when you went to war.
or how much money you save when you give pakistan a couple million here or syrian rebels a couple million there

this slow incremental push is so bloody dangerous and insane.

you are literally trying to justify using these things and it's scaring the f out of me.

how can you defend the the police and system all day without a worry of where any of this is headed?

seriously. if this takes anymore steps.... i'm telling you all personally. if this takes anymore steps...

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by HellstormRising

Reading that just made me realize that Dorner is taking this from the 'law abiding citizen' movie playbook. The main character fights against the judicial system that didn't serve his dead families' justice.

if you saw the movie, you'll know what im talking about.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove

www.psmag.com...

YET

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

yeah I didn't make that connection until just now. Good call! I'd like to see how this all turns out. Hopefully, he's not harmed or doesn't commit suicide in the process. If he's truly got dirt his best bet is to hand it to someone who he trusts to hide it and go to jail and fight them from behind bars. He can't fabricate information from behind bars but if it already exists he can at least pursue it and maybe open up some people's eyes.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
As long as there is no weapons on the drone, its just an evolution from the helo.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by HellstormRising

If he has dirt, he's a dead man walking. He won't make it to jail.

He had no right to murder anyone, just putting that out there. I'm not defending this guy.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by stonebutterfly

no worries, I'm in agreement with you. I was drawing question as to whether or not he actually murdered the cop. The questions you have ask are:

Did he have motive to kill this officer?
Where is the murder weapon?
Are there any witnesses?
Where was Dorner at the time of the murder? (possible alibi)

If he killed the cop, knowing the manifesto he wrote and possibility of illegal ongoings and corruption in the LAPD, you have to ask yourself:

Did the officer killed have reason to attack, kill or maim dorner?(direct relation to evidence dorner may have)
Is it possible for Dorner to have been only protecting himself from a cover up? (maybe he had no choice)

This all seems very hollywood but its shaping up to be something crazy like that after reading his manifesto.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

why weren't they using them to find children before?

Good point, we hadn't heard anything about the drones being used for Amber Alerts have we..

I guess thats not what they are for?

Oh! It is what they're used for now, technically. Only on cop killers though.. I mean, I mean, we can't have drones chasing shop lifters and drug users....... petty criminals like child abductors.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
reply to post by Hopechest

Issue is using military hardware on US citizens.

how come you dont see an issue with that?

There is so much wrong with your thread, including this reply.

The "United States" is using nothing, the police departments that are hunting for him are.

This is not "military hardware", it is a glorified remote control helicopter that many people use for hobbies that has some cameras on it.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people...is it reading comprehension, severe paranoia, an exteme need for attention, or simple ignorant fear mongering???

It is sad and frightening if people actually think this stuff in this thread is true.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join