It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2012 DA14 (the Animated Trajectory)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Does anyone trust the government enough to actually believe they would tell you if it was going to hit?

No, but I do trust that some amateur astronomers would do their own calculations, and raise a panic if they thought there'd be an impact.

In fact, amateur astronomers are like bees on honey when it comes to close approaches of asteroids and comets. Join any forum or social network group with the amateurs, and you'll see constant news, calculations, estimates, etc. They have their own observatory networks and a system firmly in place to crack any such nut, so to speak.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I have little doubt that "they" know the correct orbit. The real question is -- do you believe "them?" I tend to in this instance, but I'm well aware there is absolutely no incentive for "them" to tell us ahead of time if the asteroid was actually going to hit. Rather, there is a huge incentive for the government to lie and say it won't hit if it actually will. Can you imagine the chaos if we were told it would hit and that millions might die? Loss of control of it's citizens' behaviors is not an option for the Feds.

There are plenty of people all around the world who are capable of calculating the orbits of comets and asteroids with great accuracy. If a known object was on a collision course with Earth, we would know about it.
edit on 26-2-2013 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mogget

I have little doubt that "they" know the correct orbit. The real question is -- do you believe "them?" I tend to in this instance, but I'm well aware there is absolutely no incentive for "them" to tell us ahead of time if the asteroid was actually going to hit. Rather, there is a huge incentive for the government to lie and say it won't hit if it actually will. Can you imagine the chaos if we were told it would hit and that millions might die? Loss of control of it's citizens' behaviors is not an option for the Feds.

There are plenty of people all around the world who are capable of calculating the orbits of comets and asteroids with great accuracy. If a known object was on a collision course with Earth, we would know about it.
edit on 26-2-2013 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

Fragments are much harder to detect. Considering all the meteor sightings prior to the passing of this asteroid, i.e; In Florida, Maine, Rio de Janeiro, Somerset, California, Italy, Cuba and of course the hit or explosion in Russia - all in February - what does this tell us?
Ignorance.
We now know that meteors, asteroids and comets are all basically the same thing, but of increasing sizes. So be prepared for the possibility of more 'fragments' coming our way in the next few weeks as Comet PAN STARRS comes into view, followed by Comet LEMMON in early April, and of course Comet ISON in November.
BTW, there is another one due in 2014 which is already worrying astronomers, one that might impact Mars and possibly cause repercussions down here.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Luckily, there is a LOT of water it can hit and do no real damage, but if it hit a big city, it'd pretty much wipe it off the map....
It may not cause damage out in the oceans, but the tsunami it generated would cause untold damage. Look at Fukushima and how many nuclear power stations are placed near the sea (for their cooling waters) around the world.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by theillusion

I dont mean to be "that guy".
But just because they say it wont.
Dont mean they tellin the truth.
I mean they could tell you a comet hit mars and
Youd probably believe it.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Some day a very large meteorite will strike planet Earth, as others have in the past, and when that happens the lunatics will finally have to admit how unsafe Nuclear power truly is. ~$heopleNation

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
We will all know welll in advance trust me the whole planet and alll its governments cant hide that 100's of amatuer scientists everywhere forget about it

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Their knowledge of Asteroids is no better than that of Comet 67P...
osnetdaily.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Have you never noticed how slush can be jet black?a reply to: osnetdaily

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

We will all know welll in advance trust me the whole planet and alll its governments cant hide that 100's of amatuer scientists everywhere forget about it

Well, except for the ones we FAIL to detect prior to impact. Luckily, these have been pretty small so far (at least while we clever little apes have been crawling around....)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: theillusion

On average, the distance from Earth to the moon is about 238,855 miles.

So yeah, 17,865 miles is "close" but not at the same time.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This asteroid is a Magog demon. Thankfully its trajectory was changed thru the act of one Barry Soetro who, by his own free will depleted his anger and calmed the Spirit from Kazuytjik, saving Earth. He is forgiven, he has ascended, he is with the hosts of angels now, the worm experience justa chilling reminder of justice without de jure process. We call on mankind to forgive Barry Soethero.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join