It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2012 DA14 (the Animated Trajectory)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I know there are threads about this Asteroid..but i just wanted to give ATS the animated trajectory video, without having people scroll through other sites to see it. I couldn't find this specific view, on youtube, without all the other commentary and notes; and quick glimpses, with compilation videos, about this asteroid. So, i downloaded it from NASA, and uploaded it to youtube. This view is rather frightening. But i'm glad NASA says: "No Earth impact is possible". Enjoy the ride.

And here's a screen shot of that asteroid (animation), and approx. how close/far it will be from earth.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Cool...

scary still..

but cool..thanks..

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by theillusion

Just had to.

After all, if it would have hit, KAOS would have ensued.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Does anyone trust the government enough to actually believe they would tell you if it was going to hit?
While it probably won't, you might want to watch for an increase in "traffic" into Denver over the next few days....

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by BayesLike
Does anyone trust the government enough to actually believe they would tell you if it was going to hit?
While it probably won't, you might want to watch for an increase in "traffic" into Denver over the next few days....
Speaking of Denver! A good friend of mine, who works for the MSM was just relocated there. Now, why would she move from California to Denver, at this time of the year? People are trying to get away from the snow, and she moves directly into it? That's strange.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Is she on assignment or has she relocated to a new job? I think that would be the question to ask first.

If it is a assignment, then it may be time to ask other questions. But if it is a new job, well, economics rule.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

That move just might have something to do with taxes. CA plus Federal taxes combined provide a top marginal rate of over 50%. Anyone who earns a decent wage, even well under that top rate, will pay far more just to marginally exist in CA than live well about anywhere else. The climate on the coast just isn't worth the daily hassle, bad attitudes, high priced grungy housing, and the extreme taxes and regulations which don't exist anywhere else.

Lots of people I know in CA are planing to leave or are talking about it. I don't know a single one who lives there and plans to retire there unless they have to.
edit on 10-2-2013 by BayesLike because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

What they are saying is that it won't hit. I started a thread on this asteroid when there was perhaps some panic about DA14, when it was first discovered, even then it was not about this year, but about subsequent orbits. They know the orbit proper now, and you can look at it any time.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

I have little doubt that "they" know the correct orbit. The real question is -- do you believe "them?" I tend to in this instance, but I'm well aware there is absolutely no incentive for "them" to tell us ahead of time if the asteroid was actually going to hit. Rather, there is a huge incentive for the government to lie and say it won't hit if it actually will. Can you imagine the chaos if we were told it would hit and that millions might die? Loss of control of it's citizens' behaviors is not an option for the Feds.

The government has a long history of telling outrageous lies citizens when it suits the immediate need of someone or some group in power. I'd possibly be more naive about this if I hadn't been one whom the government attempted to collude in active misrepresentation of something which didn't need misrepresentation -- it was subtle, but very clear once the pattern was noted. "They" were really good at it too, I suspected the involvement of a well trained team. After a couple of carefully orchestrated weeks of meetings and interactions, most of the people I worked with engaged in the collusion without realizing their perceptions about a particular group of ordinary citizens had been purposefully altered.

We will know in a few more days if "they" were lying to us or not. In the interim, you might want to get ready, just in case. It never hurts to be prepared! Just remember, the function of government is to maintain control above all else -- lying is one of the key tools. Use of deadly force is another. "They" are not your friends nor can "they" be trusted any further than you can check on them.
edit on 11-2-2013 by BayesLike because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

reply to post by smurfy

I have little doubt that "they" know the correct orbit. The real question is -- do you believe "them?" I tend to in this instance, but I'm well aware there is absolutely no incentive for "them" to tell us ahead of time if the asteroid was actually going to hit. Rather, there is a huge incentive for the government to lie and say it won't hit if it actually will. Can you imagine the chaos if we were told it would hit and that millions might die? Loss of control of it's citizens' behaviors is not an option for the Feds.

The government has a long history of telling outrageous lies citizens when it suits the immediate need of someone or some group in power. I'd possibly be more naive about this if I hadn't been one whom the government attempted to collude in active misrepresentation of something which didn't need misrepresentation -- it was subtle, but very clear once the pattern was noted. "They" were really good at it too, I suspected the involvement of a well trained team. After a couple of carefully orchestrated weeks of meetings and interactions, most of the people I worked with engaged in the collusion without realizing their perceptions about a particular group of ordinary citizens had been purposefully altered.

We will know in a few more days if "they" were lying to us or not. In the interim, you might want to get ready, just in case. It never hurts to be prepared! Just remember, the function of government is to maintain control above all else -- lying is one of the key tools. Use of deadly force is another. "They" are not your friends nor can "they" be trusted any further than you can check on them.
edit on 11-2-2013 by BayesLike because: (no reason given)

'They' are not a mystery, they have handles on the jug, you can see so at the bottom of the JPL widget here,

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

Everything is there to play around with, current and future. So if it all goes bottoms up, you have someone to blame. There is always an element of the unknown, and JPL/NASA will be able to use this pass to gain even more info, which will be added to the flyby widget.
edit on 11-2-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
The one thing not given is the error rate in the figures. Dealing with asteroids always has a +/- error rate. They would not need to be off by much to have this one hit.

In the animation it did not appear to me to be affected by the Earth's gravitational field. It just went by in a seemingly straight line.

I agree with everyone else, if it was going to hit, they would not tell us. Well, not until the last minutes.

P

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
That simulation is not very reassuring if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
You can watch the encounter live on a webcast here:

www.planetary.org...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

Nasa will go live on their tv channel at 2pm EST, the passage is due to occur at 2:25pm. It will be on the night side of the planet, not the US side.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
www.ustream.tv...

nasa tv which is showing footage from Murrumbateman observatory in Aus.

I'll be staying up for that... god I'm knackered tho lol..

(was going to post this in the Watch it live thread, but it got closed and directed here.. soz)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
You can watch the encounter live on a webcast here:

www.planetary.org...

Nice, is there a active topic where Atsers can listen together?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunflowerStar
www.nasa.gov...

Nasa will go live on their tv channel at 2pm EST, the passage is due to occur at 2:25pm. It will be on the night side of the planet, not the US side.

thanks

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Very nice and all, but I have heard about something in the past that worries me that seemingly no one mentions. With a body reaching this close to Earth isn't there the possibility of the slingshot effect occurring due to the gravity assist?

I do believe that depending on the path and the location of the moon there will always be a possibility of something as close as this swinging back around for a second pass.

It can't really be proven wrong as we've never been presented with the scenario in modern times, but could someone correct the reasoning if I am off track?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunflowerStar
www.nasa.gov...

Does NASA have any equipment set up...on that side of the planet...so we can watch?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

No, but I do trust that some amateur astronomers would do their own calculations, and raise a panic if they thought there'd be an impact...The more troubling thing is, how far out have we checked this thing (it's come close before), and when is it scheduled to do more than miss? Luckily, there is a LOT of water it can hit and do no real damage, but if it hit a big city, it'd pretty much wipe it off the map....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join